When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Always wanted a Rolex help?

Big Dazza

Well since an early age I've always wanted a Rolex. It was always a submariner I've lusted for but now as I'm getting older I'm able to enjoy more understated pieces. I first started looking for a ref.1600 but quickly changed my mind due to the non quickset movement.

My question is what do you guys think of a nice smoothe bezel Rolex Datejust 16000?

The more I've been looking the more I think the 36mm case would be a good size for me, even though I usually wear 40/42mm watches. Any tips on where to get one at a reasonable price or even any members here with one?

I reckon this kind below with the silver dial looks great!

post-24551-0-52068200-1391015281_thumb.j

I would build one ... wait, I did ... :)

datejust_6.jpg

Mine's all gen (but the movement). Obviously I used a Jubilee bracelet and white gold bezel, but the nice thing with the Datejust is you can mix and match parts.

But seriously, you should. You can do something simple like get a case set from JMB and pick your own dial, or have mymanmatt build one for you. All depends on what you want to spend.

If you want to buy one from a dealer, then Sead's offering looked pretty good (based on the 162xx).

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/166345-datejust-36mm-superclone-3135-great-dj/

Edited by tomhorn

That looks great. I kind of want a gen though but have no idea where I could pick one up at a reasonable price. How much should a gen cost roughly? Im thinking under $2000 without papers would be ok.

You would be lucky to get a 160xx or 162xx Datejust for less than $2,000 unless it's in bad shape. A 1601 would be more easily found for that budget.

You can build a franken (or semi-franken) at any pricepoint from Sead's offerings ($419) all the way up to over $1,000. Just depends on how many gen parts you use and how patient you are with acquiring them.

If I had mine to do over again now, I would go with JMB's case, a gen dial, and a clone 2824. Save some money with a rep Jubilee bracelet, or go gen if the budget allows.

Big D,

That one looks fine. Beckertime has been around for a while, and I don't know anything bad about them. you could make them and offer. They have a good guarantee, and a one year warranty. they are in Dallas TX which is probably the world epicenter for Rolex watches!! It's the state watch of Texas!!

Don't blame you about the quickset, it's so much nicer to be able to set the date quickly without having to wind the hands around 20-30 times. My old DSSD is a non quickset, and sometimes I want to wear it and I look at the date and it's 20 days off, and I just say the heck with it, I'll wear something else.

Big D,

Shoot mymanmatt a PM. He is a Rolex guy, and he lives in Dallas. He builds a lot of really nice reps using genuine or rep cases (he gets his own) genuine dials,crystals, bezels, crowns/tubes, etc. He can give you the skinny on Beckertime, and he also might be able to find you a nice DJ like the one you want. He knows all the people who deal in Rolex watches in the Dallas Ft Worth area . They sell/trade. pawn thouisands of Rolex watches in that area every year and their is always plenty of stuff floating around.

Big D,

Shoot mymanmatt a PM. He is a Rolex guy, and he lives in Dallas. He builds a lot of really nice reps using genuine or rep cases (he gets his own) genuine dials,crystals, bezels, crowns/tubes, etc. He can give you the skinny on Beckertime, and he also might be able to find you a nice DJ like the one you want. He knows all the people who deal in Rolex watches in the Dallas Ft Worth area . They sell/trade. pawn thouisands of Rolex watches in that area every year and their is always plenty of stuff floating around.

Sent him a pm hopefully he'll be able to help :)

Not overly impressed so far. Asked for more photos and been told they dont have anymore and pretty much wont take anymore to send to me. Makes me wonder if the watch seen is the watch I'll end up getting

If their customer service is that good now, imagine how it will be after you've bought it and need some help!

Avoid!

The way I see it, there are two types of genuine rolex watches...the watch that has no trouble while you own it and the watch that does have trouble.

Trouble = needing $ervice and/or part$.

If you buy a 16000 DJ for $1700 and wear it 2 or 3 years with no trouble and sell it for $1700+, you have hit a home run.

If you buy a 16000 DJ for $1700 and it has to have $500 or $600 in $ervice and parts$, you struck out unless you can sell it to someone walking sideways for $2300.

When buying an old rolex watch you are always taking a chance unless it has a warranty for as long as you plan to own it.

Buying a watch with a common Eta movement is not much of a gamble because movement parts are plentiful (in the USA anyway). 

So...I would go for a genuine case with genuine dial/crown etc and a fresh swisseta movement.

Example:

I have a real nice, all genuine tutone (ss/18k jubilee/engine turned bezel) 15053 OPD cal 3035 with new ct/crn/crystal/fresh c/o mvt etc and I will not wear it at all because I do not want to have to buy anything if it gets damaged...or simply decides to take a sh!t. No way I will wear it because of my experience with the brand (no parts etc). It's a selling watch, not a wearing watch.

I also have a real nice all steel 15200 OPD on a strap with genuine case/crystal/dial/date wheel/modified hands and a cleaned nos chronometer grade Mido/Eta 12892 that I got from Stilty a few years ago. I can wear it with peace of mind because movement parts are widely available and do not cost much. It's a wearing watch.

Good used genuine crowns are not that expensive and generic acrylic and sapphire crystals are usually Ok for Eta powered project watches so it really comes down to labor cost and movement parts prices that kill genuine rolex watches vs project watches.

Like The Man said:

"Yo' pays yo' money and yo' takes yo' chances."  :pimp:

Big D, remember that if your Importing anything from the U.S you'll be faced with Import Tax and duties. Unless the vendors happy to state a low value on the customs form and Insure the package separately then It can get costly. I learned the hard way once :fool: