When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New GMT Master IIC w/ "Pepsi insert!

panerai153

Well, Rolex finally got around to it!!  Baselworld 2014, Rolex announces the new Rolex GMT Master IIC with a Red/Blue Bezel insert. Here is a link to an article
http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/new-rolex-gmt-master-ii-white-gold-pepsi-cerachrom-bezel

Unfortunately for those few of us who might have entertained the idea of buying a new genuine, it will only be available in White Gold, which pushes it way outside my buying range. Why they didn't offer this one in SS is beyond me, but I long ago quit trying to figure out what Rolex was doing!

Once again "Modern Day Rolex Corp" missing the boat.  This will retail somewhere in the $20,000 neighborhood because of the White Gold.

Even the current versions are still overpriced at $8500 & $9500 is SS.  But still. If they wanted more sales a SS version would sell 2:1.

The reps (previous fantasy models) are out there, but their process & red color will be hard to rep.  This will look more Bakelite.

I have totally given up on (modern) Rolex as a brand, especially when I see the designs coming out of Omega these days.

I have totally given up on (modern) Rolex as a brand, especially when I see the designs coming out of Omega these days.

Like you, I've totally given up on modern Rolex.  Unfortunately, I've also totally given up on Omega because they want to sell their watches at modern Rolex prices!

Guest REPPIN

White Gold! 

REALLY ROLEX...REALLY. 

This was an Iconic sports watch that has now been turned into bragging right for rich yuppie stock brokers. 

What a joke. 

I wonder if you can buy a black/blue SS and swap out for Pepsi insert? I am sure they won't be easy to source but not impossible.

Just like the Smurf can be "frankened" with a black or green ceramic sub with a new dial and insert!

I wonder if you can buy a black/blue SS and swap out for Pepsi insert? I am sure they won't be easy to source but not impossible.

Just like the Smurf can be "frankened" with a black or green ceramic sub with a new dial and insert!

You will also need to source a RED 24hr hand.  :-(

This is so disheartening.  I am seeing pricing now starting closer to $40,000.  ($36,900).  At that level, might as well shop for a 6542 where it all began.

If it was SS they would actually come closer to selling 3:1 IMHO.

(I came over to being more of a GEN guy in recent years.  This has reinvorgorated my REP side.  A nicely polished SS REP will shine. REP IT!!!! Fsck Rolex.  Hell, I would even rock a less than perfect REP here to make a statement.)

The reps (previous fantasy models) are out there, but their process & red color will be hard to rep.  This will look more Bakelite.

Oh, I think bakelite looks much better.  :innocent:  

The white gold might be just for the show, and SS will come out quickly. Rolex ain't all that stupid. 

I think once it's out in WG, it will never appear in stainless. If you just bought a 40k watch would you want to see an identical looking model the next year for 10k?

I will put money on there being a stainless coke bezel (black and red) next year in stainless, maybe even replacing the blnr. This would appeal to the traditionalist base while not pissing of those dropping lots on a pepsi model.

The rep that's currently out there has the bezel paint in the wrong order, opposite of this new GMT.

Good catch! Just when you think the rep factories are getting really good they do that! They got the fantasy ceramic black/red 'coke' correct, why the 'Pepsi' goof-up? 

8ba6b357d323bd20299b5c4fe2d4ecca.image.2

I wouldn't buy the gen even if I won the lottery! They ruined the watch by making it white gold. It's like they've totally left their tool watch heritage chasing after gold.

I would have preferred a nod to the Bakelite bezel GMT.

"Rolex introduces world first on its Oyster Perpetual GMT-Master II, unveiling a red and blue Cerachrom bezel insert, echoing the first GMT‑Master bezel of 1955."

"The aesthetic effect is equally spectacular. The ceramic’s sheen gives volume to the insert and enhances the colours in a way that is reminiscent of the Plexiglas insert of the original GMT-Master."

While I like the new insert, I still prefer the smaller lug case. So, if Rolex is trying to emulate the "original" I guess I'll stick with the original. 

The problem is the modern Rolex buyer is neither and enthusiast or a student of Rolex history. About 99.99% of the current day Rolex buyers couldn't tell a 6542 from a B-52, bomber that is!!. Rolex knows this so they don't have to satisfy the purist. Rolex like every big corporation looks at the numbers, and sadly, the folks who are the brands biggest disciples are and infinitesimal part of the big picture. They figure at 40K, they have to sell 4 10K watches to equal the same bottom line. So the ratio is 1:4. if they figure that if  they only sell 1:2 or 1:3 then it's a no brainer.   

Good point on the 4:1 1:4 observation.  I was speaking to an economist friend about the watch, and "she" pointed out that the Luxury goods market is going through the roof.  With the stock market gains being insane in the past few years--- the wealthiest among us are doing very very well.  Rolex probably has it right, much to WIS's world wide chagrin.  Consider this proof of an economic recovery-- for upper crust, and proof of a diminishing middle class.  The $5000 Rolex SS watches of yesteryear were obtainable for middle/upper-middle class.  Not anymore.  No more "Dominos Pizza Rolex" corporate award watches for middle management.

In short, Rolex is a "Luxury Goods Brand" and no longer just a "Watch Company" as we would like to think.  A Luxo brand that just so happens to make watches.