When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

scammer alert

Mike on a bike

Guys got this in from Mods RWI today bought of one of their guys watches he got it, never said a work just filed PP dispute kept the watch.

Dear TB

I recently sold my Super Franken TC Sub to rslesq1 on this forum.(RWI)

Without messaging me this guy has received the watch, it was fully tracked to the door. He has then applied for a reversal through paypal for the entire amount $765 USD, on the day it arrives. I was away with work so did not see the PP appeal. So I am now without the watch and the money.

You can see the entire private message thread between us.

Please check the tracking yourself if you don't believe me.

This is a joke, I have sold many times through here and now I am seriously out of pocket to this guy.

Is there anything that you can do?

He didn't even have the courtesy of sending me a message.

Thanks

Now he was on here March 29th looking around but he has never posted , do not sell or buy from him :   rslesq1     Trailboss looked into PMs and unfortunately above is the way it went down, be careful.

Looking over his post there looking for YM hands, names change be on guard :pimp:

I think PayPal is becoming too risky for sellers.

The odds are now too far stacked in the buyers favour and with the way we buy and sell there is no recourse.

Although I very rarely sell anything I think direct bank transfer is the way forward for me.

Thanks Mike

Once again I call upon the addage 'Buy the seller and not the watch' however add, Sell to the buyer that you can do some due diligence on, its all too easy to get had over. I did that with a Vertu phone for $1250 and the guy said he never got it so I lost the phone and no money!

AJ

Wow, that sucks.  Initially ,one of the reasons I joined the forum was to keep from getting scammed but by dealers not buyers.  I agree with above statement this will make it harder for noobs to buy.  PP is a great tool for honest buyers and sellers and makes for quick and easy transactions (bought a watch Monday while driving to work using the PP app on my phone) but if this type of behavior continues no one will want to use it.  Glad I saw this; while I do not sell a lot of watches I will be more diligent in looking at the buyer in the future. 

Really sorry to hear about that.  Pertaining to that loser (rslesq1) who ripped off the seller, all I can say is what goes around comes around, sooner or later.  I have no doubt.

Regarding PP, that's why WU or bank transfer is the way to go, especially if you are not sure about a person.  I have friends who sell on eBay, who won't sell to people who don't have a good star rating.

I have the utmost sympathy for the seller, and utter contempt for the scam artist that bought the watch and then opened the Paypal dispute. Having said that, I don't believe that WU or bank transfers is the answer. Those pay modalities completely reverse the equation, absolutely no protection for the buyer. With WU once you send the funds, you are pretty much out of luck if the deal goes south.

Because of the potential problems, I'm very reluctant to sell outside the CONUS, unless the buyer is a member with some creds. Within the US, I ship priority with insurance and signature on delivery. You can get a copy of the signture and address from the PO, which should help your claim if the buyer claims non delivery. Also if it was not delivered or mis delivered, an insurance claim can be filed. But as has been said, "buy the seller", works both ways.

Agreed "I don't believe that WU or bank transfers is the answer. Those pay modalities completely reverse the equation, absolutely no protection for the buyer. With WU once you send the funds, you are pretty much out of luck if the deal goes south." they are not the answer, and PP is not going to launch a full scale investigation into disputed transaction their business model favors buyer as it would not be cost effective to balance the scales and investigate. I can just imagine how many they get a day.

Did the seller not even get a real name and address of the buyer?

What did they put on the address label?

Usernames can be changed at will (new user accounts), so a real name and address would be good to make a note of.

Possibly Mike but you know for any of these to be useful we need the real info. User names change at the drop of a hat.

Hmm, what about all VIP members have to give the board their real name and address when they become VIP, and that must be used to send stuff too! then it's a matter of a quick search and kill the member if they go bad?

• Like 1

Possibly Mike but you know for any of these to be useful we need the real info. User names change at the drop of a hat.

Hmm, what about all VIP members have to give the board their real name and address when they become VIP, and that must be used to send stuff too! then it's a matter of a quick search and kill the member if they go bad?

I say yes to that

The best thing possible

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Fraggle I understand, but the needs of the many trumps the needs of the few. A chance is taken by one buying a watch, a chance taken with the entire board's future outweighs the risk of the former. Cold hard fact, I do not like it any more than you guys , reality sucks my friend.

Well aforementioned contacted me; Why put up here ?  I told him other boards and I work together on these issues no sense bad apples coming next door to your friends house. The long and short of it there were some issues with the watch he said seller gave dead air .

I do not know ins and outs as can not read PMs between them there but whatever they contained I told hm "OK bad watch no communcation you filed got money now send guy his watch back" , now I get dead air................so my call stands.