When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thinking about giving up gen watches

spazthecat

So, I have a gen Rolex Explorer II and I picked it up from having it serviced. The cost of the service was $1100. Nothing out of the ordinary, just case refinishing and movement service. Which, only cost $650 in 2008 when I had it done last at the same AD… But, that’s beside the point.

The cost of the service got me seriously thinking about if buying gen watches is really worth it. I know no one but me can answer that question, but the more I think about it, the crazier it seems to spend between $3000 and $10,000 on a watch (I personally won’t go north of $5000) and then have to pay that kind of money to have a normal service. If I had say, 5 gen watches, that’s a lot of $$ just to maintain them.

The reps I’ve seen are pretty decent. The good ones are good enough that I think 99% of the population won’t know the difference. Plus, if it dies, I’m skilled enough to repair it or just buy a new movement. Which will come in WAY under the cost of a Rolex service. And, I kind of like working on watches. Something I wouldn't think of doing on a gen Rolex.

That brings me to the title of my post. I’m really considering forgetting the idea of buying gen watches and just doing reps or building them myself. Anyone else feel the same way? Opinions?

Thanks,

Andy

Edited by spazthecat

Some reps are not just "pretty decent" but really superb.

Look at the Blancpain FF (black dial one) or at Noob Omega planet ocean liquid metal (closed caseback), they are simply GREAT. And a proper service with waterproofing is around 150€.

Gens are like luxury cars: go to a Lambo dealer and make them to change oil, filters and do the common checks, you'll get scared.

Why o why can't I buy a Lambo rep? :D I'm fine with 400HPs instead of 600...

Well mate your not the first or the last who gonna ask that question its not something others can answer for you since its all up to you :)

In my case i own more gens Mostly rolex Then reps

I love reps but gen is gen when i dive i Would never be able to dive with a rep my gen SD been with me a long time of my life and others too

I Would never stop buying reps or gens but thats me

And a rep aint worth anything in 20 years the gens are ;)

Some reps are not just "pretty decent" but really superb.

Look at the Blancpain FF (black dial one) or at Noob Omega planet ocean liquid metal (closed caseback), they are simply GREAT. And a proper service with waterproofing is around 150€.

Gens are like luxury cars: go to a Lambo dealer and make them to change oil, filters and do the common checks, you'll get scared.

Why o why can't I buy a Lambo rep? :D I'm fine with 400HPs instead of 600...

Haha Amen about the Lamborghini service that is throwing out money through the Window believe me i know ;)

Like many others I come from that angle as well, while maybe 1 to 3 gens are nice to have, for owning more, the maintenance, insurance etc. are just too expensive/restricted and the service in Switzerland is a nuisance (6 months away). Everything other than Rolex imo is not advisable anyway (unless of course You´re really filthy rich and have lots of staff, so the house is secure).

Working on reps is fun, they are much easier to waterproof (just for swimming) than said and after being around for a while, if one of mine really stops running, I´ll just get a better and new replacement movement to throw in and that´s it.

What may be a game-changer are rep-prices, because at increases of 28% to 36% all 6 months for new releases, they are already at a level where lower priced gens or 2nd hand ones are becoming attractive again.

While in the past I totally relied on expensive gens for diving, together with the uprise of dive computers in the last few Years cheap watches like the Citizen Aqualand Promaster with depth meter, rapid ascent alarm etc. imo have become more suited in practical terms to do that job.

I can understand.

In my case, I can work on them but they will not sell parts so I cut them off at the knees. I'll never buy another new one unless it is 25 cents on the retail dollar or less and if it was a gold prez, I would have to think looong and hard about it. I might buy a good used late model if it was cheap enough...a few hundred bucks.

Last one I bought was in May 2009...new leftover 14010M AK for $1200. Well...not really a leftover, it was a 25 year award watch (engraved on the back) that was refused.

I have a few genuine quick set models laying around (3035/3135) and a couple cal 3130 AK but am afraid to wear one because it might 'blow up' and need parts leaving me out of luck. Had a chance to sell a 15053 a while back and the guy wanted me to guarantee it for a year. I said "Ha, Ha, I might guarantee it to still be a watch but that's about it." No way.

I have enough parts left to keep my vintage junk and Frankensteins running so I still wear one now and then.

• Like 1

My decisions are based on the quality of reps available for a particular gen. There are some watches which have Never been accurately replicated, such as the Speedy Pro, Breitling Aerospace, etc - those are the watches which I pick up in gen form. Regarding most everything else, rep is the way to go for the reasons you've already laid out.

• Like 1

I started out with reps wanting to try out different pieces to get the gen but after getting a few top notch reps, I really can't justify buying a gen.

If you have a TC sub and know where to get it serviced every few years, you'll never need a gen IMO.

It's practically the same thing minus the beautiful 3135 that you never get to see anyway.

I don't know. I still wouldn't mind a gen 16613 blue dial but no way in hell I'm paying 10 grand for that.

Same goes with 16800 and 16660. These only because reps of them don't exist. I'd have to make one.

I could prob build one of those on a TC base for a fraction of the cost of a gen.

This is my perspective as well......   What does a gen sub have to offer over a TC, that justifies 10x or more in price?    Given the current attention to detail of many reps out there right now, I don't see myself adding new gens to my watch box anytime soon.  

I have no problem telling people I'm wearing a rep.   In fact, my friends & co-workers look forward to seeing what I'll be wearing every day and marvel over the quality of the reps I have.   Since I became aware of this hobby and bought my first reps, I have not worn my gen Chronomat Evo since........    It's just sitting in the lock-box.

I started out with reps wanting to try out different pieces to get the gen but after getting a few top notch reps, I really can't justify buying a gen.

If you have a TC sub and know where to get it serviced every few years, you'll never need a gen IMO.
It's practically the same thing minus the beautiful 3135 that you never get to see anyway.

I have all gens and two Frankens now, and literally never wear the gens. Partly to extend the time before the next service and partly to keep from beating them up.

Plus it's very freeing to just jump in the ocean with a "vintage" Franken on your arm and not care if it leaks.

At my age, I will probably buy few new watches. Hard to justify more when I have over 40 watches in my watch boxes. I have a Fair number of gen watches, and I wouldn't trade a one if them.

I believe the OP has a valid point in that you can spend the cost of the watch in service. But on the other hand if you shop around, you could probably get a better deal than what you spent on service. The upside is the gen retains a lot of value, whereas the rep 20 Years down the road will have very little value if any. So that needs to be factored into the equation as well.

Someone also brought out the point that with the ever increasing price high end reps are rapidly approaching the price of mid range gens, especially if you factor in modding costs. It's pretty easy to spend a thousand dollars or more on a modded rep and at the end of the day, it's still a rep. For these prices you are well into the category of some very nice gens, especially the boutique brands. Watch life doesn't stop with AP, Rolex, Patek and other high end brands, there are some really high quality brands that are available for the price of a modded rep. These are well received, salable in quite a few sales forums, and nice watches to wear as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Money sent! :ppp

(mate, what is the tank, 80 liters? With 15 refuelling (8000km) I'm done with my salary...  Then I've to change the tyres...  No way!)

Well it does have 90 if it helps :D

Urban driving it goes

20.1 l/100 km

Extra urban They call it it goes

9.2 l/100 km

Combined consumption:

13.3 l/100 km

What it really does is 9 to 13 average on the liter but only drive it 2 months a year june july

My next car is a toyota GT it does a little better and the lamborghini aint that great a car really

Its alot of power but when it comes to Racing with it doesnt life up to it

Exactly like the logo its a Bull heavy and clumpsy ;)

i'd just keep 1 to 3 gens (maybe sporty, dressy and casual for every situation) then rest go rep for variety and fun.

i'd be insecure without at least a gen in my collection for any sort of really important/formal events that may happen in your life like important meetings, going into the AD or weddings and what not

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. Good discussion.

So, now the real question, which one do I buy next:)

1. TC Sub

2. Blackbay (red)

3. Liquid Metal PO (just because most of my watches look like Submariners)

There's no loser in that group!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I would say, why send it into Rolex for service? You can find a really good service shop that works on Rolex movements at a Much cheaper rate.

My wife drives a beautiful Audi A6 but I don't take it to Audi for service. Why, their cost are too high for service and I'm lucky enough to have a Super local repair guy,

1 mile from my house. He has 25+ years of being a foreign auto mechanic.

If you never really plan on selling it, then who cares who serviced it, as long as it was done right. Still, even if you decided later to try and sell it for the

highest price you can get, Then send it to Rolex for a service so you can have a record of it.

This is kind of why I personally decided to have s Super Franken Sub built. Some will say (think) I've spent way too much on a rep. But to me, its the

Rolex I want, runs like any other Rolex and when I will need it serviced, it will go back to the builder (hopefully he'll still be around) for service.

In the end, I got what I wanted and I still saved money.

Dave...

Well I would say, why send it into Rolex for service? You can find a really good service shop that works on Rolex movements at a Much cheaper rate.

Dave...

Hi,

That's the price from a local AD that does the work in house. They don't send it out to Rolex. Just seems to be the going rate in my area. I checked another local watchmaker and the cost was within $100 of that....

I'd love to find a good local person that could do it for less.

Thanks,

Andy

Many repair shops who can work on rolex watches will no longer touch them because of no parts. This is a fact of life and going to get worse as time flies by. In order for me to work on one now, it has to belong to me.

A large part of what you pay an independent shop to work on a rolex is for sticking their neck out...loss, damage, mistakes, theft, parts, water leaks, warranty claims, putting up with lunatic customers etc.

Here is what it cost in parts to c/o my 15053 (parts purchased in late 1990s), low mileage watch, no polishing:

Mainspring...$11

Case tube 5330...$14

New 530-8 crown $35

New 25-145 crystal...$18

Case back gasket...$1

Two springbars...$12

Materials (cleaner, rinse, oil etc)...about $10 (purchased recently)

Total = about $100

Time...5 or 6 hours. I'm slow.

Today's retail price to do it all = $500 to $750

"So what, just get a rolex parts account."   

Yeah. Nothin' to it.   :pimp: