When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Old school Datejust

prdubis

I see two things that give this watch away. First is the serifs on 'OYSTER PERPETUAL' and secondly is the thin date font and a 2 that's just a little off.

But considering what you paid who cares!

I got this one from Silix for $67 usd.

rol0721.jpg

It's a little better- no serifs on OYSTER PERPETUAL but I can't remember why I bought it, maybe for the case...

Just went through tenth pages on several TD websites, and didn't find any model like this, clean and simple.

Can't believe such a simple Datejust isn't repped...

Well, it is also interesting to mention that the genuine item can be bought for as low as 1.200 to 1.500€.

Why would you want to put a franken together?

Can't believe my lover didn't like it and I sold it.

I should have kept it for sure !!!

post-4865-0-72141100-1416770211_thumb.jp

post-4865-0-93135400-1416770392_thumb.jp

post-4865-0-88376800-1416770464_thumb.jp

Frankens are the way to go- here's one with a gen white dial

photo_zpsc761873b.jpg

These were built around 2007-8 when you could get case and dials for $200 or so, put in a swiss eta and a few other parts and build a nice franken for $500 or so

P1000247-1.jpg

Now days it's more expensive, but you can still build these frankens if you're patient in looking for parts.

• Like 2

Frankens are the way to go- here's one with a gen white dial

photo_zpsc761873b.jpg

These were built around 2007-8 when you could get case and dials for $200 or so, put in a swiss eta and a few other parts and build a nice franken for $500 or so

P1000247-1.jpg

Now days it's more expensive, but you can still build these frankens if you're patient in looking for parts.

Wow, 3 beautiful pieces you got there!  Love all of those very very nice!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few genuine 1601/1603 and what gets me is that so many of them are corroded where the case back gasket seals them up. The case and case back both are prone to corrosion.

My best looking case is corroded the worst. Whoever owned it must have worked in a battery acid factory.

My worst looking case with worn lugs and beat all to hell-o has no corrosion. The owner must have worked in a rock quarry.

Now acrylic crystal 3035 quick set models are considered to be 'vintage' but I do not go along with it because I figure 'vintage' models must have acrylic crystals, slow set movements, and 1200 or 1530 base or earlier movements.

T or F:

Rolex stopped making 'real watches' in the late 1970s except for a few 1530/1200 base 1016, 5513, 6694, 5500 AK etc.     

If rolex stopped making 'real watches' in the late 1970s, are sapphire replicas really replicas?    :pimp: