When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aston Racer pic found

astonjenks

For those who don't know me I used to race Astons and yesterday was sent this great photo of me racing at Brands Hatch a few years ago. The actual shot is approaching Druids. I managed to win this race (the field are somewhere behind) and topped 175mph on the straight.

Thsi car is a very special car with 650bhp and weighing 1150Kgs and was very quick!

Regards

AJ

post-48021-0-53769900-1420540638_thumb.j

• Like 4

Thanks Guys

Yes it is fast but not top speed as the straight on the circuit runs out before the power and gearing did :-)

I had never seen this photo before yesterday so was really pleased to be sent it. This is a still shot of her.

AJ

post-48021-0-74500500-1420546290_thumb.p

Thanks again guys.

The Radioactive patch was derived from the Original Aston Martin Robin Hamilton car that was raced at Le Mans in 1977 & 79. This car is actually the sister car to that one having been originally built by the same team for racing.

I best show you an engine shot then! This is an AM V8 engine bored to just under 7 litres. She is lowered by 100mm plus and set back in the engine compartment by some 300mm for perfect weight balance across the axles. She runs on 4 twin choke webbers and as mentioned puts out 650bhp.

AJ

post-48021-0-51219900-1420549925_thumb.p

In answer to that not at all. It had to be an original Chassis, body, axle, engine and gearbox. The modifications were carried out during the late 70's and early 80's and it is now recognised as a very special Historic AM racecar.

Below is a 1980 Standard V8 Vantage which is how this one originally left Newport Pagnell in the 70's. One can clearly see the similarities.

AJ

post-48021-0-16871300-1420565755_thumb.j

• Like 1

<drool>

I'm happy that you got that picture of you racing it Andy, must bring back great memories!

That engine's superb, a heck of a jump in power from standard. Were the internals replaced with forged parts, high compression, etc? And don't those bell mouths allow a lot of dust, etc, into the carbs and cylinders?

I'd so love to have a serious go at some sort of racing but would struggle to finance a simple track day car at the moment - maybe a very simple buggy at grass tracking events for a year :)

Thanks my friend

The carb trumpets have a gauze lower between the manifild and trumpet to colect any debris. Also the bonnet scoop is closed so air is directed via the front nostrils.

Everyone should have a go, not neccersarily in one of these (be great though) but on a circuit to see what a real driving machine and driver can do.

So far as the engine goes, yes, the internals are forged and very special including titanium parts, think £50k for a rebuild and you get the idea and depending on how you treat her, a rebuild every other year!

AJ

post-48021-0-90865100-1420578506_thumb.p

Great pics of You racing, the V8 engine and the machine. That seventies AM Vantage is a beautiful car by any standards and back than it was crazy fast compared to anything else on the street. And with much less police and traffic, You sometimes could actually have fun on some backroads as well.

Great pictures.

I would drive that AM Vantage today in a heart beat. Actually once looked at one when I still lived in Germany.

It was cheap but unfortunately not well cared for.

Nice to see some racer here. Did some Formula Opel-Lotus (and GM-Lotus in the European Championship) myself when I was young and raced with the likes of Mika Hakkinen, Alan McNish and HH Frentzen (Schumi was still in Formula Ford back then,  but already showing his potential).

Also did some F3, Porsche Cup and 24-hours races.

And then I had my first son and the money went to diapers instead of slick tires ….

Great photos, and That is a truly beautiful car. having grown up in the 50's and still a young guy in the 60's and 70's I can remember some of the really outstanding cars that were built back then. Certainly short on amenities and comfort that we know today, but boy were they fun to  drive