When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

scam alert !!!

mymanmatt

Stonep got a request from my email for $700 to be sent to the philippines by WU. When he emailed me to verify that, his emails went straight to my trash. The only way I found them was to type his email into Search email's. Then they showed up with a blk line through them. It was by accident I saw that the emails were in my trash. Be careful everyone, someone is on the prowl. Verify everything. It was only by an email from another member that I even knew this was going on. 

I would guess this might be someone that knows us. Stone contacted me this morning about this and I contacted Matt. Seems a little too "knowledgeable" to just be random but who knows. Definitely scary to get an email from a friend who you deal with regularly. Be an easy trap to fall into.

You have to be alert and aware all the time these days. There are so many crooks and scammers around, and obviously some of them have pretty darn good computer skills. These people make a damn good living stealing from honest folks. Anything that looks the least out of the ordinary should set off your alarms until proven otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@mymanmatt this sounds like your email system has been compromised 

+1. I have experienced the same scam before, receiving an email from a contact stating that he was in a bad situation and needs help with some money etc..

Change your email password, and remember to amp up protection for your online accounts. 

The internet is a ripe ground for scams and phishing attempts like these. We can only be more vigilant with our personal cyber security. 

Thanks for the heads up.  Now whilst not the same, I too have recently been receiving emails from past customers, but instead of asking for money, there's suspicious url in them asking me to read an important message.  I have emailed those past customers and informed them that their email addresses have been compromised.

Edited by SSTEEL

I work for an it company. We are seeing more and more email being sent from and to the correct people. E.g the boss send an email to the accountant. The boss obviously didn't send it. We even had one caught mid flow. A few emails were exchanged in the middle was a fake email asking for the payment to be swapped to another acccount. It's very clever how they do these things now.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I've examined the headers from one of the scam messages and they're a typical spoof, coming from yahoo servers.

Unfortunately the people doing this are not clever, but are persistent.  I was able to find the username plus email address on google for one of the people that received a scam email.

This is why we ask that users NEVER make public their email addresses.  Please keep them private and ask the people to whom you give them to keep them that way.

People do not want to mess with RWG members, our resident Predator is one the case.   

sums up the issue succinctly !