When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

December 5th wristies

markiemark

This is one of my favorite watches in my collection. New ones probably looked like they were worth ten times more as the actually were. And although it is nothing special I really like it. Basically we are talking about a cheap-o pseudo diver. It is rated at 600 ft but even when it was new it would have probably not survived 100ft of water. It has no screw-down crown and a simple snap on case back. The movement is a simple 17j Rondamatic with a pin lever. Something you would give a your child as a gift to watch it slowly dying. And yet the looks of it, the blue dial and the orange tip of the second’s hand are quite appealing.

The key story is that it is a hybrid. After Ernest Schneider had bought Breitling he decided that the Breitling name would survive. At that time they were using up parts from the Breitling watches and mixed them with Sicura  parts. So called Sicura-Grenchen hybrids. They were called marine star and are watches in nomansland. They were hybrids having neither the high quality of Breitlings nor were they low grade as the pure Sicuras. The fact is that although they are still around it is quite hard to find them in good condition, just because of the low quality of the materials used. The simply brass case is often heavily corroded or the watches are incomplete with a missing bezel or such. Mine runs excellent and is quite well preserved. I think it is amazing that this watch is over 40 years old.
IMG_0462.thumb.JPG.28c46b264d288a2e70a92IMG_0446.thumb.JPG.2e6a27d594687720aa5c1

Edited by gasebah

Love the watch, but I really like that Hoya hiding behind it !!

Lol, good eyes my friend you can only see part of the label. One of my all time favorites

One of my favorites as well, just brought a box of Hoya Double Coronas back from Casa del Habanos in Grand Cayman. Resting in my humidor for a few weeks before I smoke one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk