When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Inherited rolex

Alfalover

Hello guys, unfortunately, (usually when you inherit something you've lost someone) I've inherited a vintage datejust. I've worn the watch without asking myself about the value of the watch or the exact model. Now it will need servicing and a crystal replacement because I hit a rock while scuba diving. Does anyone know the exact model number? And a rough estimate of its value? I'll keep it forever anyway but its fun to know. I was bought in the 80s more or less.

rollie.jpg

Edited by Alfalover

A little tough to tell from the pic, but it looks like a 16018 to me. Might be a 16238 if it was purchased in late 80's. You can obviously take the bracelet off to get the model number confirmed.

Assuming it's gen ... stop taking it diving! If you insist, have someone test it for waterproof before you do it again. A vintage watch of that age probably needs gaskets replaced.

Value is somewhere between $5k and $8k depending on model number and condition.

I would send it to member "misiekped" for service if you don't want to send it to Rolex.

Thanks for the reply. I guess misiekped is a trusted member? How do you deal with the fact you're sending several thousands of $ to someone you don't know? I'd sure prefer to send it to misiekped instead of rolex, i guess I's save a lot. Yes the watch is gen:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by Alfalover

Not at the moment, I'm out of the country and my dad doesn't sound so helpful. I'm sure the watch is genuine because I took it straight away to a watchsmith that checked it out and confirmed that it's genuine and gold. But then I started to think it could be ''gold shell'', that is my only concern. What doesn't seem right? 

P.S. I'll ask him to take it to another watchsmith and take pictures of the movement

Edited by Alfalover

Misielkped is a trusted member here, and a darn good watchsmith. He knows his stuff and he will do a complete service with Rolex parts and the proper lubes and grease and it will cost you half what a Rolex Service Center will charge. Plus Rolex will want to replace the Crystal, crown/tube and whatever else they think they can get away with!! That bill will be 4X what misielkped charges.

I'm assuming that you are in the USA? If so, you can send it to him Express mail (overnight), priority mail, FedEx or UPS. I believe that USPS Priority has a 5000.00 USD limit on insurance, don't know about the others. I wouldn't ship it anywhere til after Christmas and the Christmas shipping Rush is over.

Don't use that watch for diving. First it's an unserviced vintage watch. Seals and gaskets are old and brittle, that old acrylic Crystal may have cracks that are concealed below the bezel, plus these were not designed as dive watches, although when new they had good water resistance. Get a little salt water inside undetected, and by the time you discover it, your movement might be a hunk if rust!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've sent vintage Rolex to service centers and $1,000 later had back "not the watch I wanted". The movement isn't magical or anything and a competent watchmaker can service it just as well as Geneva. The smith named above is excellent and will do good solid work.

If it's CONUS send it registered and insure it for replacement value, if they'll sell that much insurance. It's not that expensive.

Enjoy that watch, it came at some cost. Nobody likes to pay that price. And keep it out of the water, it's earned the right to stay dry by now.

That watch looks to me like a 1503 Date model- either 18k or 14k gold- it is not a shell gold model- caseback is gold as it should be on that model. End links are fine- Rolex does end links on gold bracelets differently than on subs, etc.

There's a guy on VRM- Kirill- that has had some of these watches for sale lately and I bought one- paid $4,000. 14k Date from the 70s. The only bad thing about these watches is that it's hard to get parts for them since Rolex no longer supports or makes parts for the 1500 series movements. Like Panerai says, send it to misiekped and have it serviced and no more scuba diving.

• Like 2

If it were me, with a genuine Rolex, I would use a watchsmith in the EU if possible. I'm sure there are lots of really good watchsmiths in Europe that are Rolex trained and have Rolex parts accounts. The cost would still be a lot less than the cost of sending your watch to a Rolex Service Center, and the local guy will work with you to fix what needs to be fixed and not insist on replacing everything like Rolex does.

Ssteel is a very good and highly thought of member who does great work. You should contact him and see if he will work on your watch and if he has access to Rolex parts for the service and repairs.

From the looks of yours, at a minimum,the crown tube and crystal need replacing as well as a service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I contacted SSTEEL but unfortunately he is only certified to work on swiss ETAs :(

Any other watchsmiths you know? They've asked 600€ near my place, servicing, crystal replacement and gaskets I guess. But I'd obviously prefer someone we all know and not ''leap in the dark '' like we say in my country

Edited by Alfalover