When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Besides watches, what are your hobbies?

Legend

Yes I know we all got other hobbies. 

For instance,@Mike on a bikehas closet friends in Singapore he does closet stuff with as per one of his recent posts, @Nanuqenjoys putting his left-nut axe to good use especially on another fellow moderator here who I shall not name (KB), and @Astonjenks and @nikki6, love to race bikes and stuff.     

For myself, I love my JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) cars and I always show predilection toward reading and playing classical pieces on the piano. I also love to pretend that I would one day make the world a better place by being less of a curmudgeonly ass.

So what do you guys do when not rocking your gen and rep watches? ;)

Me?  I live in Alaska for a reason.  Well, several.  This is the place where you can be yourself, and you can pursue your passions.  It's weird but here, if you're killed while doing so, you take on an almost heroic mantle.  There are no commonly accepted limits to what can, or cannot be done.  Go Big, or Go Home ... if you can talk the talk and then back it up... men will buy you beers until the day you die.

We are *fiercely* independent here, and we enjoy camaraderie.  Sometimes we just want to be left the hell alone.  Other times it's right to get your friends together around a fire and share a few beers, and chances are nobody will say a word.  Out loud..... lots is still being "said".

So in that environment, what are my hobbies?  Anything that's BIG, solitary, cold, tall or distant.  Anything with barely controllable power in it.  So you'll find me on a weekend sleeping in a snow cave when it's cold.  The colder the better.  Or riding the mtn bike down ridiculous terrain.  Or backcountry XC skiing alone in the shadows with the bad sounds.... wolves, creaking ice, crunching frost, heavy close  by breathing from something hairy and toothy.  Playing hockey on a glacier lake.  Hiking with the dog up something in time to catch sundown from the summit.  Playing my Martin on the deck at midnight with a nice single malt.  Teaching a kid how to do pond hockey and to shun playing with boards.  Carving hunks of cottonwood bark into ridiculous sitting dogs.  Sneaking up on a sweet fishing hole and enticing a fish smarter than myself to bite something.  Living by wits, and respecting the memory of someone  who didn't quite have it one day.

Read the poem "Call of the Wild" by Robert Service, and that will explain it better.

• Like 1

Well I go about in my kayak  as you guys know I live on a lake I get to be alone with nature it's nice an quiet and I grow vegetables in my garden not a big one actually very small  but I am pretty anal about it so it takes some time. So you can imagine the winter puts both of them on hold , not fun! My work for the most part is rather rewarding I get to help people all in all pretty good.

• Like 2

I enjoy watching Rugby and football (soccer) on TV and also movies.

I also enjoy JDM cars and have had mine for 10 years now. I'd love to own a classic 911, be it a 993 or a 964(Singer). The Singer is much less likely though. 

Activity wise: cycling, surfing and the beach life here in Cornwall. 

A nice beer or three to relax with friends along with some Indian food - curry!

A simple life for me generally. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike on a bike said:

Well I go about in my kayak  as you guys know I live on a lake I get to be alone with nature it's nice an quiet and I grow vegetables in my garden not a big one actually very small  but I am pretty anal about it so it takes some time. So you can imagine the winter puts both of them on hold , not fun! My work for the most part is rather rewarding I get to help people all in all pretty good.

Mike you mean the vegetables are gen??! :notworthy:

Correct, rude ones taste better. 

image.jpg.e371c9ec0640de67ae836945eec7cb8c.jpg

I don't consider that rude but rather yummy. Must be something wrong with my eyes haha

Message crafted while riding a leathery juvenile T-Rex and charging toward the horizon.

maxresdefault.jpg

7308760704_fb8afb36a8_b.jpg

3 hours ago, kernow said:

I enjoy watching Rugby and football (soccer) on TV and also movies.

I also enjoy JDM cars and have had mine for 10 years now. I'd love to own a classic 911, be it a 993 or a 964(Singer). The Singer is much less likely though. 

Activity wise: cycling, surfing and the beach life here in Cornwall. 

A nice beer or three to relax with friends along with some Indian food - curry!

A simple life for me generally. 

Where are you based Kernow?

Cheers Mark

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, denimhead said:

maxresdefault.jpg

7308760704_fb8afb36a8_b.jpg

Where are you based Kernow?

Cheers Mark

Penzance.

I surf mostly on the north coast though (Gwithian and Hayle) and other water sports on the south coast - Mounts Bay. 

Wow I'm pretty tame compared to you lot  :notworthy:  I used to be out on the water a lot in Perth Jet-skiing mainly with some fishing off the back of it too when I felt like a lazy arvo in the sun :) since getting back to the Uk I've taken to road cycling as I'm nowhere near the ocean/sea now, I'm finding it hard over winter training so finished off renovating the house we bought in the meantime. I'm back in training now since a month ago getting ready for tour of Cambridgshire events coming up in June when I'll be literally cycling my ass off :partytime:

No bears or wolves here Nanuq............thank god they would scare the crap outta me !   

My leg won't let me do physical hobbies nowadays, so hiking, camping, cycling are out.

Nowadays it's motorbikes, cars, and lots of things with small engines in them, RC 1/8 and 1/5th cars, nitro 500 series helis, quadcopters. Also electronics and mechanical engineering stuff, CNC mills and lathes. Photography, gadgets. Also trying to learn to play guitar and keyboard (as in trying to remember to book the beginner lessons!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice!!! Keep those interests varied. Let me recommend you get a good quality guitar so it sounds good and is easy to play. Then you'll want to pick it up every day.

af2f96c7cc25bc662682e9778169ff23.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nanuq said:

DenimHead, what's that towing you? Wow what a shot, that last one! :tu:

Its a Cable Ski Bob, originally developed in Germany to get around Lake Bank damage. The wake produced by the big power boats eroded the Lakes bank sides. So Imagine the same set up as a sking button lift in a circle over a lake at 20-30mph!!! Oh and throw in ramps to go over. Its my main summer hobby, keeps you fit and normally quite damaged most years.

Only mild concussion and a parcially dislocated hip last year:bangin:

• Like 1

@Nanuq. I love fat bikes. Cycling is my hobby these days. I used to road and off road race back in the 80's and 90's. I've toured Europe twice doing around 1800 miles each time. The first time I was 12 years old. The second time was in 1986 and I used a mountain bike. It caused a real stir in Europe where they hadn't arrived yet lol

One day I intend to build a bamboo fat bike. Maybe electric powered even. One day....

Guest ThePhilosopher

I have too many (according to the wife): running, a little guitar/music work, and some photography.

TWM_Medal_0010.jpg

Chevron_Marathon_0001_FB.jpg

My stable:

NGD_Schecters_0004.jpg

RG8_0004.jpg

One I'm building now:

WarmothSolo_0003.jpg

A small discography of various production quality: https://dbartko.bandcamp.com/

The beast:

Enlarger_0001.jpg

Newest lens:

Rodenstock210_0003.jpg

I need to get a shot of my photo equipment, but I'll probably need to use my driveway to do it.

Edited by ThePhilosopher