When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tribute To Rep Submariners. Let's See The Classics!

By-Tor

i am contemplating drilling the lug holes through on my MBW16610.. drilling a noob case is one thing, but drilling a more expensive MBW case makes me nervous haha. If i had a proper drill press i would make a jig to drill these holes but i just use a cordless drill and just hold the case really tight, so theres a LARGE margin for error.

Lonnie

@ Jetsons

Thanks for sharing another TW.

It's beautifull (but some details must be corrected though).

I'd love to have a lugholed 16610.

Allthough it's not on the top of my list (the list is too big right now), I whish I will put my hands on a TW one day.

If anybody is ready to part theirs, why not wait untill I have some budget ;)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Stephane! :p

As you mentioned, it's not entirely accurate (specially under magnification) but it looks fantastic on the wrist. It has a heft and feel to it that doesn't say reproduction. Someday, I may install a gen T-dial but I've always enjoyed the heck out of it as is. I installed the OEM bars and insert which were the two issues that truly bothered me.

It's one of those pending projects which will have to wait a bit until I get around to completing the also terrific 2893-2 TW GMT. B)

elprimero, great looking TT! A gen insert would make it a total stunner.

• 6 months later...

My my, has it really been over a year since I started this thread.

Here's another bump... I also edited my initial post with more pics. Let's keep this nice one going, so post away guys!

JoJo, your watches are awesome. Was there a reason you decided to sell the 1680? I believe that the 5512 is your most recent addition, so would I be correct to guess that your tastes have shifted a bit towards the no-date subs?

I'd also be interested in learning about your thoughts on the cost/benefit of going with a genuine movement. I guess this isn't the thread for it, in the sense that it's probably intended more as a pictorial...but it's something I've been wondering for a while. My philosophy has always been that it's the 'visible' parts that should get priority, in terms of achieving the effect.

JoJo, your watches are awesome. Was there a reason you decided to sell the 1680? I believe that the 5512 is your most recent addition, so would I be correct to guess that your tastes have shifted a bit towards the no-date subs?

I'd also be interested in learning about your thoughts on the cost/benefit of going with a genuine movement. I guess this isn't the thread for it, in the sense that it's probably intended more as a pictorial...but it's something I've been wondering for a while. My philosophy has always been that it's the 'visible' parts that should get priority, in terms of achieving the effect.

Thanks for the compliments Mezzanine :D

Although I loved the 1680, I sold it to fund some other projects that have gotten progressively more expensive (is that normal???) Just my opinion, but I think installing gen movements is definitely the way to go if you want a true frankin. The perfection of the movement alone is a sweet prize, just knowing it is in there, even if behind a no-date dial. One of my upcoming projects hopefully will be a 5513 with a 1520.

...and now back to our regular channel ;) An older rep, and far from perfect, but still gets some wrist time. A slightly modded LV with gen pearl, superlume, cg's:

IMG_1701.jpg

Alot of nice stuff posted here.

My current DRSD

genparts020bw1.jpg

And a quick glimpse into 1 of my current projects

1570drsdproject0121.jpg

No cantankerous (aftermarket) datewheel overlays to contend with on this 1.........lurking below the dial is a freshly overhauled

c1570a.jpg

Very nice Freddy! I love the double red dial. I've been searching for one, since I don't like the ND dials. Where did you find this one?

Very nice Freddy! I love the double red dial. I've been searching for one, since I don't like the ND dials. Where did you find this one?

Thanks, this is the closest I have seen an aftermarket DRSD dial come to matching 1 of the gens. The print quality is on par with the best NDtrading dials. But, unlike the NDtrading, they got the crown & text nearly dead-on. No Wild Wild West style fonts on this 1. I just wish they had used a more natural looking white or cream colored lume for the index markers instead of that weird brown that all of these aftermarket dial makers like to use. As it is the dial is passable, but if they had done the index markers in white, the dial could have fooled me. I emailed Ziggy last week to see if he can Ziggyify (whiten) them, but I guess he is still on vacation or not answering mail. This is definitely a dial that requires The Master's touch.

I bought the dial on ebay from a relatively new seller -- 'preciouswatches'. At the time, I think he had 27 sold items, but he got 100% positive feedback & my gut told me he was legit, so I took a chance & it worked out well.

I just wish they had used a more natural looking white or cream colored lume for the index markers instead of that weird brown that all of these aftermarket dial makers like to use.

I fully agree.

The NDT are maybe nicer than standard ones but the color is off and on the 5513 the 3-6-9 markers are very very weird.

I too am going to have that changed hopefully.

The NDT are maybe nicer than standard ones but the color is off and on the 5513 the 3-6-9 markers are very very weird.

The NDtrading dials tend to vary a bit in color. Sometimes, they get the color pretty close. I have 1 that has nice cream colored index markers & they are almost the right size too. But on all the NDtrading DRSD dials I have seen, both the index markers & crown are too narrow for my taste.

My 1950's model from Silix - I changed to the rivet bracelet, the one that came with it was a modern fliplock clasp bracelet...

I like how slim the case is on this model compared to the newer ones.

122387960_o.jpg

122387884_o.jpg

122387873_o.jpg

122387862_o.jpg