When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tribute To Rep Submariners. Let's See The Classics!

By-Tor

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Let's bump this nice thread.

Photobucket allows you to make silly slideshows. I created one. Yeah, it was a boring morning. :) See it HERE.

Maybe someone could have use of this kind of feature? I haven't figured out how to "hotlink" it in the forum though. The IMG code doesn't work here.

Lol Chief. :)

Seriously, everyone's always talking about the blue version when they think about the TT Sub. Personally, I think the black one is much better looking watch.

fantastoc pictures, once i take decent pictures of mine i'll post mine up as well

open question to everyone, (and a bit of a ramdon one at that)

are there different sizes of rep subs? the only reason i ask is some 'wrist shots' pictures i've seen on this forum the watch looks quite big compared to my watch on my wrist, but i've taken measurements of an genuine sub and mine matches perfectly, as does the weight.

so do people on here have unusualy thin wrist :D or do i need to get new glasses!

thanks people!

Since my MBW 1665 DRSD is finally more or less done, here are some pix.

A big thank you to The Zigmeister for the dial aging and assembling of this 9 month old project. It was a major coup for me just to work the cg's, lugholes, change the crown & tube and crystal -I'm one of the most unhandy people I know :lol:

The vital stats are:

CG reshaped & lugholes drilled for gen spring bars

Case gently aged and polished

Gen crown & aftermarket tube

Gen used and abused bezel insert from 1665 (so I was told :g: )

Gen Tropic 39 Superdome

NDT aftermarket dial, aged and relumed by The Zigmeister (I was going for that heavy exposure to humidity look)

Clarks Tudor Sub hands also aged by the The Zigmeister

2846 ETA

Watchmeister DW overlay

266424-4459.jpg

266424-4460.jpg

Ah, the superdome

266424-4461.jpg

Freddy,

Yes, the 6&9 are a little too thin. I had a CWP dial on order but was too impatient and bought this one. The Zigmeister said he had a hell of a time with the DW install and it appears that last night it was stuck between days :(

Thanks for the kind words!

-TMG

I am surprised The Zigmeister did not widen the 6 & 9 hour markers. But other than that, superb specimen. It looks like you had better luck with the Watchmeister datewheel than I have.

Freddy,

Yes, the 6&9 are a little too thin. I had a CWP dial on order but was too impatient and bought this one. Ziggy said he had a hell of a time with the DW install and it appears that last night it was stuck between days :(

I have one of those ND dials too. The CWP dial was also nice, but it had other problems.

I am sorry to hear you are having DW problems. I thought I was the only one.

It looks wonderful after you spend an hour or two tweaking it into the right position. But, unfortunately, it is a ticking time-bomb -- just a matter of time until the adhesive starts to loose its grip and either the numbers shift out of position or the adhesive gums up the datewheel gears and everything comes to a stop or the paper sags & gets caught under something and the date either takes 2 hours to switch to the next day or gets stuck between days or any combination of these. I know the guys put a great deal of time & effort into the project, but it would been worth the extra time & expense to produce the DW on a metalized substrate like the OEM MBW DW.

The good news is that it is a relatively easy process to unstick the DW (at least temporarily). But you do have to open the case, remove the dial and ungunk the top of the movement (I keep a bottle of denatured alcohol - mineral spirits - handy for this). To be safe, it is probably a good idea to keep the watch away from heat and out of direct sunlight for any length of time (do not sunbathe with your watch if it has one of the Watchmeister DWs), as either tends to make the adhesive soften and the DW shift its position.

One time, I was able to fix the DW when it got stuck between dates (at least temporarily) by slowly clicking it through 2 entire revolutions. That at least got it working for a couple of days until it got stuck again.

Good luck.

p.s. Anyone with a spare vintage MBW Seadweller or DoubleRed datewheel, one of the recent versions -- with the bolder serifed fonts

266882-4415.jpg

please PM me.

• 3 months later...

My crown guards are better than your crown guards!!!!!!!

;)

haha i am just joking.. Tribal does some some of the BEST work i have seen. I really like how your bezel insert sits super flat making the crystal look taller.. almost has a 1680 feel to it and i like it. I might have to try that sometime.

Great looking watch!

Lonnie

Great idea to bump this.

It give me the opportunity to show off ;)

My 16610 Tribalised

RolexSub16610MbwTribalised_800_02.jpg

@ Jetsons

Thanks for sharing another TW.

It's beautifull (but some details must be corrected though).

I'd love to have a lugholed 16610.

Allthough it's not on the top of my list (the list is too big right now), I whish I will put my hands on a TW one day.

If anybody is ready to part theirs, why not wait untill I have some budget ;)