When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Picking my next Gen

section8

I've been on a PAM rep spree of late but the time has possibly come to look for my next gen. I'm going to head to an Omega AD tomorrow and look around, but I'd really like a Pam too.

I know this is personal preference kind of thing, but any suggestions? I'm on business in CA right now (fremont) so I may have to go into San Fran to find a Pam AD, but there's an Omega dealer nearby.

I've been on a PAM rep spree of late but the time has possibly come to look for my next gen. I'm going to head to an Omega AD tomorrow and look around, but I'd really like a Pam too.

I know this is personal preference kind of thing, but any suggestions? I'm on business in CA right now (fremont) so I may have to go into San Fran to find a Pam AD, but there's an Omega dealer nearby.

Get a PAM! Near Fremont there's a Davidson & Licht in Walnut Creek and the Shreve in Palo Alto who are PAM ADs (in addition to the Shreve on Post in SF).

although i'm a huge Panerai fan i say get an Omega! From people around me with gens only i am getting the feeling Panerai is being sold more than bought... prices for the used historic series are dropping... if i could buy a gen... i'd buy something that is a solid investment like rolex, a limited edition panerai (only LE) or an Omega (get a price deduction and the price is quite solid from there on).

Thanks for the input (and locations) guys. I hadn't considered the resale value actually, but that's a good point. I'll probably not buy anything for a week or so, but I wanted start looking around to see what I like first.

Ken - Trust me, my wife is already looking for her next bag, but this time I'm looking at a new watch because she just got a nice new original painting and I'm pulling out the quid pro quo :p

Course, now that i'm poking around online looking at Omegas and PAMs, I started thinking...maybe I should get something that isn't repped yet? Like a Ulysse Nardin? This may take longer than I thought to pick something out.

Get a watch that suits your style. Do you find yourself as a suit and tie, business casual or casual kind of guy?

Also... What price range are you looking at? $2k to $6k? $6k to $15k? Higher? Also, how do you feel about pre-owned? Personally, I'd go for something vintage that's no longer in production. For example (and on the lower end of the price scale) a vintage Heuer Carrera with V72, or vintage Heuer Monaco. Perhaps a vintage Omega SM300 like this...

215145-15746.jpg

Very similar to a PO, except vintage :D

Of course, it's all personal preference, and a lot also hinges on how you feel about a particular watch. My advice is to go to as many dealers as possible to try watches on. Sometimes, the watch you least expected (or hadn't considered at all) is the one that smiles at you the most :)

@crystalcranium, not sure if you've been since they opened the new tourneau in the new westfield shopping center (with the bloomingdales), but the new tourneau is huge and has an amazing selection of pretty much everything except PAMs (breitling, cartier, omega, rolex, IWC, and many others). now that i think of it, i'm suprised i don't stop by there more often...

Course, now that i'm poking around online looking at Omegas and PAMs, I started thinking...maybe I should get something that isn't repped yet? Like a Ulysse Nardin? This may take longer than I thought to pick something out.

I was thinking the same thing... The Marine Diver posted here last week (can not remember who, sorry) was just stunning!

The UN 42mm GMT Big date is also a gorgeous piece and it can be had for a substantial discount online.

JLC Master compressor series are also very nice!

LOL, good luck with your decision!

The gens I would get :thumbsupsmileyanim: Let's dream a bit!

None of these ones should loose their initial values.

Omega PO 45

215369-15642.gif

Zenith

ZENITH PORT ROYAL EL PRIMERO ROUND

215369-15643.jpg

Zenith

ZENITH CLASS T EL PRIMERO

215369-15644.jpg

Zenith

ZENITH PORT ROYAL GRANDE DATE :wub:

215369-15645.jpg

Jaeger Le Coultre

Master Compressor Dualmatic

215369-15646.gif

Cheers

Stephane

Thanks for all the replies and input guys. I stopped at Barrons in Newark Mall today - they had a limited selection of Omegas. They did have one orange bezel rubber strap 45mm PO, which i loved - except for the rubber strap. I like the look but just not on my wrist. Also looked at a Speedmaster on a tan crock leather deployant - i actually like that better.

The Salesman suggested I call around before going anywhere to look at a Panerai - he said most of the time they're sold as soon as they arrive at the dealers? Think Shreve would have any?

I'm going to head up north tomorrow night I think (maybe call first) and try to look at some PAMs, or maybe I'll just venture into SF and go to Shreve. I'm still thinking of looking for something that I can't get as a rep.

@crystalcranium, not sure if you've been since they opened the new tourneau in the new westfield shopping center (with the bloomingdales), but the new tourneau is huge and has an amazing selection of pretty much everything except PAMs (breitling, cartier, omega, rolex, IWC, and many others). now that i think of it, i'm suprised i don't stop by there more often...

I was out there for a conference the night they opened the new Bloomies in late September last year. The Tourneau is so big they have an overflow bargain store where they sell the cheap brands like B&R and Oris et al inside the mall. The Bloomies opening night was a black tie affair. My wife and I wandered over in shorts and t-shirts and were actually asked to leave the sidewalk area near the store!!! And I remembered the hotel wrong, it was the Renaisance Parc 55.

I was wondering your budget too, if you have about $3-5K to spend get the PO chrono. I have a 45mm PO (non-chrono) and it is one of the best watches I have in my collection, comfort and weight and style. Between that and my PAM090 I get the most comments, even over my Rolex. If you can find one of the PO chrono, give it a try and I think you'll find yourself with a new watch. ;) I was going to buy the orange bezel one the other day, but my wife told me to wait (she wants to get it for me, maybe?). :) You can sometimes find them on TZ for sale, not very many of them though. Also, if you can find the Omega Railmaster XXL, that's one BIG watch. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I was wondering your budget too, if you have about $3-5K to spend get the PO chrono. I have a 45mm PO (non-chrono) and it is one of the best watches I have in my collection, comfort and weight and style. Between that and my PAM090 I get the most comments, even over my Rolex. If you can find one of the PO chrono, give it a try and I think you'll find yourself with a new watch. ;) I was going to buy the orange bezel one the other day, but my wife told me to wait (she wants to get it for me, maybe?). :) You can sometimes find them on TZ for sale, not very many of them though. Also, if you can find the Omega Railmaster XXL, that's one BIG watch. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Yeah, i never did list my budget did I. I'm trying to keep to no more than 4-4500US (and that would be pushing a bit I think) I don't really care to say I spent that much, more that I got a watch that i will enjoy.

<cough> Omega Speedmaster Professional <cough>

History that a PAM would die for, bullet proof movement, hardly changed in looks for 50 years (therefore ticks vintage box yet still looks modern), looks good with a suit and casual, exceptional VFM.

Anyhoo these were my thoughts before I bought one.

section8, nice budget! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

In this price range, I would suggest looking hard at time pieces with in-house built movements. In your range, this would include Jaeger LeCoultre, Zenith (El Primero) & Rolex to name a few. The Omega can be argued that it has plus their movements are very nicely finished and modified.

BTW, TZ sales corner is a great place to look for minty second hand examples & save anywhere from 40-50% off MSRP. It is also a great way to gauge resale value, if that's an issue.

I don't mind looking at watches that are repped for the simple reason that I can give them a test drive for a few weeks or months and decide if I would be happy with the purchase over the long term.

Best of luck in your hunt!

I must agree, definitely look at Jaeger LeCoultre and see if any of the models catches your eye. I would also check out IWC's. Within your budget you can get some nice pieces. Omega is always a great buy, Panerai is not worth the money although it is one of the top, coolest designs.

section8, nice budget! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

In this price range, I would suggest lookig hard at time pieces with in-house built movements. In your range, this would include Jaeger LeCoultre, Zenith & Rolex to name a few. The Omega can be argued that it has plus their movements are very nicely finished and modified.

BTW, TZ sales corner is a great place to look for minty second hand examples & save anyhere from 40-50% off MSRP. It is also a great way to gauge resale value, if that's an issue.

I don't mind looking at watches that are repped for the simple reason that I can give them a test drive for a few months and decide if I would be happy with the purchase over the long term.

Best of luck in your hunt!

Any decent guy ... buy his wife another nice bag ;)

Ken

From ken, 'natch....

But seriously, I think you're not getting a lot of quality/hand craftsmanship bang for your buck either w/ a gen Omega or PAM. Both are very well repped. If I were thinking about to shell out the $4000 for a low end gen PAM or higher end Omega, I'd definitely also look at some of the brands that have better quality to cost ratio--JLC, ML, Chopard, and even GP.