When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Showing a 111H rep to a watch dealer

thomasng

So today, I was wearing my 111H rep the whole day, after we adjourned for the day at the courthouse, I decided to stop by a watch dealer in Toronto that sells UN, Zenith, Breitling, Parmigiani to take a look around. I am very friendly with the managers and all the staff in the store, they show me whatever I want all the time and are good on prices too.

So I didn't realize I was wearing a rep Panerai 111H on the wrist and by this time it was too late to slip it away anyways. So one of the managers points to my wrist and said, what's that, a Panerai? I said yeah, and she said "nice watch". Then she said "You know what?, from now on, I'm going to buy fake everything, there's no point to buying real handbags anymore". I also asked her about fake watches, and she said "why not?". Then another employee came out and we started to talk about Panerai, he was telling me about how much he loved them and the good watches they are. I said, hey, you ever hear of the fakes with the identical movements? He said no, and at this point, I take the 111H off my wrist and lay it down on the counter.

I announced it was a Chinese made Panerai replica. He picked it up in excitement, and the lock on his face was shocked. He said, well, with this, what's the point of buying a real one anymore? "You should get me one sometime." :D

The other employees gathered around it and also stared at it in amazement, and said, how is this possible for $300? They had 2 preowned Panerais in the case, a 119G and a 111F and put them beside each other. They were amazed how similar the weight to the 111F was, and how detailed the movement on the replica was too. The only flaw they really found was that some parts of the case were a bit roughly finished, but they all said "amazing for $300".

Just wanted to share this little story with you guys.

At one of the high end watch stores in my area, same kind of thing happened. the manager was so impressed with my panerai 183, he asked If I could get him one. I just gave him a couple of sites where he could buy his own. He now has THREE reps.

PS. managers don't make enough to buy gen's even with the discount????

At one of the high end watch stores in my area, same kind of thing happened. the manager was so impressed with my panerai 183, he asked If I could get him one. I just gave him a couple of sites where he could buy his own. He now has THREE reps.

PS. managers don't make enough to buy gen's even with the discount????

:Jumpy: hahaha.... thats funny... but...people have different priorities than others. just cause he works at a watch store doesn't always mean they will drop $2-5k on a watch.

Edited by sye46

Great story!

I got in to reps because I had been lusting after a Pam for a long time and a friend who is in watchmakers school in Pennsylvania told me he sold his gen Pam to buy a rep, and showed me where to buy one :thumbsupsmileyanim:

There is no way I would get enough extra enjoyment of of wearing a gen to justify even a fraction of the price difference!

About 1 week before my local Panerai AD began selling their Pams I went in to see their selection with an acquantaince that has numerous gens. The dealer knew very little about the watches he was about to begin selling. I was wearing my first rep, my 111G. The guy I was with was wearing his gen 187.

We started talking with the owner and I said to the guy I was with, "should I show him my rep?". He said sure, why not. I showed it too him, started talking shop, and then revealed that my watch was a rep. I think the owner was a bit embarrassed that he didn't have a clue that my watch was a rep.

He hasn't looked at me the same since then but he now knows what to look for in a gen (no recessed pins, correct crown guards/crowns, and good lume.

I bet I could still pass my 196 and 029 off as a gen with him :rolleyes:

Post this story on Via Paneristi and see how they react to it. :lol: You are right that most people are amazed at how good some of the reps are these days. I'm chomping at the bit waiting to get my new PVD Panerai. :Jumpy:

this is just a guess, but I think most gen owners are actually pretty cool about reps, it is just a small, but very vocal minority that gets emotional and upset over reps. When I bought my first gen at the AD, I brought up reps and the guy was very cool about it and actually knew how good some of the replicas are now. Next time I go to the AD, I will wear a rep.

But remember, this store knows I have a large genuine watch collection, they've seen the UN Freak I've owned, Royal Oaks. I've bought a few watches from them, including a Blancpain and a UN.

But the funny thing is, the manager of the store wears a Yellow Gold Rolex Masterpiece with diamond bezel, and I'm 100% sure it's genuine too, because she's taken it off and allowed me to fiddle with it, and the weight can't be matched.

Also, I really think the hothead genuine owners who are against reps are in the minority. I'll bet quite a few of the Paneristi have their reps, just tucked away from their own guys, I mean we have Paneristi among us too, and Purists like me too.

i was (yes was!) a "purist", or "genuine" watches collector before buying my first rep last year (on ebay and from river). now i will never, say never buy a gen panerai. too pricey for a unitas/eta even with modified bridges. i remember very well that ten years ago during a trip to milano, italy the first pams i saw were a lot of money (same price for a no date sub) for an almost "unknow" brand.

the only gen i own today is a speedmaster moonwatch. B)

Newbie question time. Why is it that almost every post on this site is Pan? What is it about them? I see one or two posts about Omega, a few about other watches, but basically most posts are about Pan. Why is that? Great reps, or is it a great watch? Or is it a bit of both?

Ignorance is bliss. It will save you a lot of money.

Newbie question time. Why is it that almost every post on this site is Pan? What is it about them?

They put some sort of catnip in them. I don't get it, personally. The vintage Palbundis have a certain charm (and wonderful typography) but everything after Sly Stallone got signed up is pretty crappy, in my opinion. They had something before they went all gentrified or macho.

Still, a lot of people, mostly rep hounds, like them, so there most be something, right?

I don't own one but I could be tempted by an old-school Militare or Black Seal one if I feel a gap in my Rep collection that only a big square watch can fill.

Why is it that almost every post on this site is Pan? What is it about them? I see one or two posts about Omega, a few about other watches, but basically most posts are about Pan. Why is that? Great reps, or is it a great watch? Or is it a bit of both?

If you had been with us two years ago it was all about Rollies, then we went through a period where Omega was of major interest and now it in pannies. :)

Stick around long enough and see what the next craze will be :whistling:

BTW...since demand drives quality to a large extent...the current demand in pannies has helped drive significant improvements to a point where it is truly difficult to spot a fake from a real one.

Cheers :)

Newbie question time. Why is it that almost every post on this site is Pan? What is it about them? I see one or two posts about Omega, a few about other watches, but basically most posts are about Pan. Why is that? Great reps, or is it a great watch? Or is it a bit of both?

Haven't you heard ? Panerai were recently classified as Class A drugs by the Government due to their highly addictive nature. Though help is available via PAMONYMOUS meetings held once a year :p

PLEASE for the sake of your bank accounts DO NOT buy a Panerai. Just keep thinking they are overrated and ugly and you'll be a richer person. I used to think like you a few years ago and since then I've owned several reps and double that for genuine Panerai. Now most other brands are unwearable for me because they are "only" 40mm or smaller. :mellow: They are very addicting and once you get one you just can't stop. So, like my warning said before DO NOT buy a Panerai or you'll be much poorer. :)

PLEASE for the sake of your bank accounts DO NOT buy a Panerai. Just keep thinking they are overrated and ugly and you'll be a richer person. I used to think like you a few years ago and since then I've owned several reps and double that for genuine Panerai. Now most other brands are unwearable for me because they are "only" 40mm or smaller. :mellow: They are very addicting and once you get one you just can't stop. So, like my warning said before DO NOT buy a Panerai or you'll be much poorer. :)

Trust me Willith, Panerai is already a very economical habit when you compare it to people with Audemars Piguet addictions. Very bad disease for the bank account and is often the source of trouble with your spouse or significant other.