When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help to spot a fake, gold sub and gmt II

Roby944

I have my doubts, rehaut on the TT sub is shallow, can't see the crown guards. If legit, this watch is worth over $4500. The GMT pic is also not too good. Can't tell if it has the proper hand stack, which is hour hand on the bottom, GMT next, and minute after that, can't see the cg's from the front, but clasp is short which is correct. Again, if legit, it's worth $3K. Rule #1 is know your seller, i.e., reputation, sales history, are the prices reasonable, no one gives these watches away. Much below the prices I quoted (more than $500) and you are being scammed.

Hand stack looks fine to me. And the sub looks gen to me as well. I tend to look at the details of the hands. Gen hands are slightly domed, where reps are flat or bevelled. I'd request the serial numbers and do a check with Rolex. I've done it a few times and it saved my ass. Even if the seller claims they have papers, get it checked out. I checked out the serial on papers and on watch, and Rolex told me the serial did not match the case, nor the dial, so I walked away. That is always an easy start. Rolex can tell you if the serial is legit, or reported stolen, etc. It usually takes a day for them to get back to you.

Edited by stilty

Roby,

follow the Stilty's words!! <_<

Be safe, when you buy around GEN Rolex, is one must!

Wile,

BMW , looking that poor pictures they are GEN.

Are They in your country or far away ?

Do you know the name , address and numbers of the seller ?

Ask for some extra pictures and inner pictures too.

Sorry Roby, I have no expert opinion on the watches. It's just that this thread remind me of one I read on RWI the other day.

A person posted that he was given shoddy treatment when he asked about the authenticity of a watch he was considering. He either got silence or a snotty remark, I forget, but the upshot is the forum regulars treated his question like newbie dreck. Some time later, he came back, posted a pic of a gen Rolex, and told the members "Hey you didn't help me, but look at the gen I purchased anyway".

Well, the regulars blasted the watch, saying it was a fake, look at the rehaut, blah blah -- when it was of course, authentic. He didn't say, but he did intimate this was on RWG (maybe RWG1?).

In all my time here, I don't recall a single newbie receiving this dismissive, hierarchical type of behaviour from veterans. I've been on for nearly 3 months.

On the contrary, except for really newbie questions like, "Where can I buy the best sub?", everyone tries their best to help out if they can.

I'm glad to see this thread is no exception.

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck. :)

The gold Sub looks suspicious, but the GMT Master is genuine without a doubt.

By-Tor, you've got a great talent for writing reviews, and are developing quite an eye...

However, I will disagree with you.

The Sub is an obvious fake, the GMT is a nearly-brilliant, and less obvious fake.

Yes, the hand stack is correct. ( I know you've seen fakes with the correct handstack.) The bracelet is PERFECT. The Crown is Perfect, but doesn't it look like a TWIN LOCK in the one photo where you can almost see it?) The case looks right, except, let's get to that in a second ....

The photos are blurry, the watch is at unusual angles, to minimize the flaws. I am sure, that if this were in your hot little hands, and not partially obscured, you'd immediately notice that while everything about this GMT is nearly perfect, the things that aren't, AREN'T.

The Triangle indice at 12. Look past the blur, close one eye, squint, whatever it takes to concentrate on it... It is off. The bottom is centered on the nice looking coronet, but the top left corner is inline with '59-sec' while the top right corner extends well PAST '1-sec', where, if it were centered correctly it would start a little before '59' and finish a little past '1'. Blurring makes that hard to notice, no?

Not enough? Ok, look at the CG's in the "nice" shot from the 'top'... Mirror finish, right? Ok, stop drooling on your kb, and redirect your attention to the lugs....

Mirror finish, righ..NOPE. The case isn't finished consistently. The CG's obviously have been extensively reworked and polished, while the rest of the case is still brushed finish.

Both niggling little issues on an otherwise nearly perfect FAKE, obscured by blurred photos, undoubtedly in hopes that they would go unnoticed.

The Triangle indice at 12. Look past the blur, close one eye, squint, whatever it takes to concentrate on it... It is off. The bottom is centered on the nice looking coronet, but the top left corner is inline with '59-sec' while the top right corner extends well PAST '1-sec', where, if it were centered correctly it would start a little before '59' and finish a little past '1'. Blurring makes that hard to notice, no?

Not enough? Ok, look at the CG's in the "nice" shot from the 'top'... Mirror finish, right? Ok, stop drooling on your kb, and redirect your attention to the lugs....

Mirror finish, righ..NOPE. The case isn't finished consistently. The CG's obviously have been extensively reworked and polished, while the rest of the case is still brushed finish.

Both niggling little issues on an otherwise nearly perfect FAKE, obscured by blurred photos, undoubtedly in hopes that they would go unnoticed.

Holy merde. That snotty fake Sub-wearing AD assistant never stood a chance!

No dealer carries it. The bracelet is real, with a milled flip-lock (no dent), the crown is real, but probably a Twin-lock (can't tell for sure from the blur), the bezel and insert look really good, probably real or good bezel with real insert. The crystal looks good, but can't tell if it is after market, mis-directed service replacement, or gen, but the bit of nastiness around the cyclops could be anything from simple crud, to left over residue from a repositioning (can't tell for sure from the blur), the indice at 12 IS off, the CG ARE Polished to a different finish from the rest of the case, and if you look at the bottom lug on the 'top' oriented pic, the grain of the steel of the case is huge compared to the grain of the steel in the bracelet, and the two are of different hues, both of which mean, different steel.

The case could be just about anything "modern", but from the nasty big grain, slightly dull luster and the longer lugs... I'd say it that the case (and maybe the bezel) came from "Paul", and his "Perfect Sub."

Most of the rest, probably came from many a butchered Rolex.

No dealer carries it. The bracelet is real, with a milled flip-lock (no dent), the crown is real, but probably a Twin-lock (can't tell for sure from the blur), the bezel and insert look really good, probably real or good bezel with real insert. The crystal looks good, but can't tell if it is after market, mis-directed service replacement, or gen, but the bit of nastiness around the cyclops could be anything from simple crud, to left over residue from a repositioning (can't tell for sure from the blur), the indice at 12 IS off, the CG ARE Polished to a different finish from the rest of the case, and if you look at the bottom lug on the 'top' oriented pic, the grain of the steel of the case is huge compared to the grain of the steel in the bracelet, and the two are of different hues, both of which mean, different steel.

The case could be just about anything "modern", but from the nasty big grain, slightly dull luster and the longer lugs... I'd say it that the case (and maybe the bezel) came from "Paul", and his "Perfect Sub."

Most of the rest, probably came from many a butchered Rolex.

I must say I am totally in awe of you guys and girls who can actually identify differences between the gen and the rep. For me they all look the same, I have no attention to detail, and to be fair there are many like me!

My wife makes a joke about the fact that as I proudly "display" my TT Daytona I cannot actually tell what the time is unless its in a really good light.

My point is this: the quality/authenticity of a rep is actually wasted on me because unless I put on my reading glasses I can only tell the time by an educated guess. My main souce of time is my cellphone, its a LG choclate and it has a hugh font.

I guess I am writing this because I am jealous. I want to see but I cannot. It is not a matter of eyeglasses,I wish it was!

I guess a simple anaology is that many people would love to fly a fighter plane, I can and its what I do.

Horses for courses I think!

I will still trawl the boards 3 of 4 times a day but I am afraid, as much as I want to, I will never reach your level of understanding.

Thats probably why I ask stupid questions from time to time and to be fair you could, and you do, ask alot of stupid questions about what I do.

felipe56

First of all

thanks to all of you about your comments its always a pleasure to hear from you .... but i will tell you the truth.

The GMT is gen

The sub is one that i have bought from PT time ago. and is a rep. I see that the 90 % of you have spotted it : -)

The pics was done badly, yes infact this was done for minimize the flaws.

Yesterday i was reading some posts related to one GMT II, and one guy that was asking us to tell about if his watch if it was a rep or a copy.

A lot of members, says that "there is not a question to do, obv its a fake" and its sound to me "you dumb" dont understand that this is fake go and hide under a BIG stone...

Then i remember long ago, when even me wasnt able to understand if a Rolly was a rep or gen may be because i was a young guy that cant afford a gen, and never seen one of it and even a bad fake looks like a gen, only because there was written Rolex on it.

I feel sad about that guy that was considered like a dumb, because its not like us that can spot a rep in 20 seconds.

Fortunately things changed... and yesterday i go and take one of mine GMT II, have spent 10 minutes taking some bad pics, get a Rolex gen box ... and post this thread near the gen GMT a fake gold Sub,

Why ? may be i was only a little tired and i want to smile a little ...

BUT basically to remember to all of us to be patient with the others... and see that however is not easy to see the difference between a rep and a gen, and do not expect that everybody know it by "GOD" illumination....

I really have to thanks the TRC and the RWG and some of the members that in a couple of years were with me very patient and tolerant all the time and explaining me a lot of thing that was obvious for them but completely new for me.

and i'm happy to call them friends...

thanks for the posting ... and i'm sorry for the joke ... i hope that nobody will UPSET with me ;) it was only a joke...

bye

Rob

By-Tor, you've got a great talent for writing reviews, and are developing quite an eye...

However, I will disagree with you.

[...] the GMT is a nearly-brilliant, and less obvious fake.

Crap. That's 100% genuine watch.