When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

new daytona

kevin300z

The rep is:

couple mm thicker

made from SS when the gen is White Gold

lume markers on 3, 6, and 9 are too thick

"daytona" is not as thick or bright

subdial printing is slightly off

dial is silver; gen is slightly champagne

pushers do not screw down on the gen as deep as they do on the rep.

SEL on bracelet sits slightly higher on the rep than it does on the gen.

I own several Daytonas myself, and the one you picture is a decent to very good rep Kevin. By now, most of us have heard, learned or experienced the infamous A-7750 secs@6 and have either decided to take the plunge, or not. Saying you have, most of the "faults" are going to be noticable only by AD's, watchsmiths and jewelers, and WIS's like ourselves. How the watch looks and feels to YOU is the bigger question. I doubt seriously that anyone is going to say, "let me measure your lume markers", so if you feel comfortable, then fine. If something that minute bothers you, then again, it is your call. Remember these are reps, not perfects, or gens, and we are trying to get as close to 100% as possible. If it were 100%, it would be a gen, not a rep, not a hybrid, not a Frankenwatch. as long as it is a rep, we are looking for even the smallest difference between that and the gen. Heck, there are even differences among gens too. If what you intend to acquire meets YOUR criteria, and is as close to gen as you can get for the price, I say go for it, that's what we're here for, aren't we?

Eeekkk!! sec@6!

haha

i bought one.. dead in 2 weeks.. now its lost in warranty-land never to return.. what a WASTE of money that was.. wow!

I was a pretty accurate rep though i must admit.. everything but the crown guards but thats an easy fix..

Lonnie

Secs at '6 Daytona is a risky purchase. It seems that sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not.

That's the exact reason why I have never purchased one. I loved the (Stephanes) white one I reviewed. :(

Absolutely, By-Tor, absolutely. Although I hope the quality of the A-7750 improves over time (arguments go either way on this), and even though I have more than one that is working fine, I consider myself lucky and I am quick to point out that both of my Daytonas have distinct and separate personalities. Both took different times and methods to break in smoothly. I was SO pleased to read your review and that I had the exact watch (ss whiteface) you reviewed.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont believe so kevin, even if there were to be a 'swiss' movement they would still have to add the extra 11 or so gears making it just as unrealiable as the val77...But I dont believe anyone has a swiss movt' version...I've been lucky with my 2 sec@6 daytonas, no problems so far they keep incredible time! My theory is that if you take good care of the movement than it will be good to you...These movements are notorious for being shipped out BONE DRY, so if you have the movt properly oiled and lubricated I strongly believe it is capable of lasting a long time

Edited by UB7

My theory is that if you take good care of the movement than it will be good to you...These movements are notorious for being shipped out BONE DRY, so if you have the movt properly oiled and lubricated I strongly believe it is capable of lasting a long time

Actually, it is the other way around. The most likely reason, according to Ziggy (this has been my experience as well), that the secs at 6 7750 is shipped 'dry' is because the lubricants would add additional friction/drag to an already overtaxed engine causing it to stop. Those, like yours & mine, that continue to run do so more because of luck & variability in machining than anything else. My guess is that the less it is used, the longer it will run.

Actually, it is the other way around. The most likely reason, according to The Zigmeister, that the secs at 6 7750 is shipped 'dry' is because the lubricants would add additional friction/drag to an already overtaxed engine causing it to stop. Those, like yours & mine, that continue to run do so more because of luck & variability in machining than anything else. My guess is that the less it is used, the longer it will run.

I would agree with this statement 100% I have a Daytona that stopped after having it about six weeks. It will still run if you give it a gentle stir. I am positive that this is being caused by the lack of lubricant in the movement.

I have been searching the new for the past couple of days trying to learn how to properly oil a movement with no luck. :(

Interesting points made here. I have 2 secs @6 Daytonas, (cartel purchases) and since they have been broken in and running I have had no need to crack them open. My experience has been if it ain't broke - don't fix it - with reps. I've thought that the lack of lubrication would be a cause for concern, but I'm not sure I subscribe to the theorum that oils used FOR lubrication would add to friction. If it is a space issue,(lubricants plus crowded movement gears) then explain it to me, by all means. I do, chalk up each experience to luck and build of a particular watch on a particular day. Why, then, when serviced and lubed, do these movements seem to work well (again according to The Zigmeister)? Is it a certain AMOUNT of lubricants (or lack of) or something else entirely different?

Speaking of Daytona's, saw this one in a magazine yesterday and thought it looked very cool!

PVDrolexdaytona.jpg

Andreww,

Why, oh why do you torture us so??? Since that is a completely different looking beast than I have ever seen before, and you say it is from a magazine, it must be a new gen, correct? It looks awesome!! When will it be available?

Edited by mag1119

I have a Daytona that stopped after having it about six weeks. It will still run if you give it a gentle stir. I am positive that this is being caused by the lack of lubricant in the movement.

I have been searching the new for the past couple of days trying to learn how to properly oil a movement with no luck. :(

Did/Can you check the beat of the caliber? Even a slightly off beat caliber can stop under the stress of the extra gears, only to be restarted when stirred. If you feel like doing a bit of work yourself, read this thread on DIY beat and speed regulation. http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=32933 This ahould be a first step before going into taking apart/oiling the a7750.

Oh, and for oiling instructions, visit the ETA technical documents of the calibers. They present what type of oil goes where. This might be easier said than done..

I've thought that the lack of lubrication would be a cause for concern, but I'm not sure I subscribe to the theorum that oils used FOR lubrication would add to friction. If it is a space issue,(lubricants plus crowded movement gears) then explain it to me, by all means. I do, chalk up each experience to luck and build of a particular watch on a particular day. Why, then, when serviced and lubed, do these movements seem to work well (again according to Ziggy)? Is it a certain AMOUNT of lubricants (or lack of) or something else entirely different?

Read Ziggy's review of the secs at 6 7750 here and decide for yourself.

Read The Zigmeister's review of the secs at 6 7750 here and decide for yourself.

thanks for the quick reply, freddy. Problem is - I couldn't link back to the secs@6 article, and the search only got me to The Zigmeister's review of the secs@3. If you could put the post in your reply to me, I'd be more than happy to learn from it. From The Zigmeister's secs@3, what I have said I feel to be born out. That being said, I realize that does not apply to the secs@6. :D