When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

For people who wondered what ever happened to Finepics (Mark) >

babola

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The initial concern I have here is that Mark seems to working at winning over their confidences, could this be because he knows there is a lot more margin in working on gens than reps?

I fully expect swdivad to go after him on 'risti when he returns from his holiday and if anyone can upset his apple cart David can. :)

Ken

Finepics telephoned me a few weeks ago wondering if I was interested in buying any of the reps he had (not many, three or four I think) because he was buying himself a gen Panerai and getting rid of the reps to pay for it. I'm pretty sure they were all ones that he had had for a while because I've seen them when I met him a couple of years ago.

We talked a fair bit and he said that as far as he was aware, all the outstanding watches etc he'd got had been returned except one, and the owner was aware of the situation and happy.

Whether that's true or not, I don't know.

But the fact he's posting about gens and saying he used to own replicas does tie up with what he told me on the phone.

SNIP

This is just a bit of fun, this hobby of ours. Except of course, it's not when the bright light of reality hits people in the face.

Very well said V....this is our hobby and a lot of fun. Its funny how I am sure many of us have counted the $$ spent on our reps and have questioned ourselves with "hey, i could've bought a gen with that $$"....

Very well said V....this is our hobby and a lot of fun. Its funny how I am sure many of us have counted the $$ spent on our reps and have questioned ourselves with "hey, i could've bought a gen with that $$"....

But only one or two not ten or twenty watches

so ...

1.) Enter a rep-forum, build up trust, do entry-level work (although not always ... .. . perfect) and aim at higher, more pricey, level work that will take some time (dw etc).

2.) Steal money/watches (yes it's theft alright).

3.) Enter a gen forum, build up trust, tell them about the horrors of reps, build up more trust, offer services OR point people to other 'people' that sell 'gens' (given the comments).

4.) Ya'll see where I'm going with this right...

No love lost from anyone on RWG about Mark.

I like this statement from him "I actually taught myself watchmaking and can strip a 7750 if I need to because of this!!!" Sure Mark, you keep believing this...I have seen his work, he knows nothing about watchmaking except how to ruin people's watches and steal their money.

He knows as much about watchmaking as I do about rocket science. Interesting that he's also an expert on Swatch and ETA as well as how reps are made, the steel they use etc...

Funny how he has time to post and try and get attention on this forum, but won't stand up like a man and show his face on RWG, or give the members who were scammed their money and parts back.

RG

Never cared much for Mark, even before he was outed as a hack scammer, if I'm being honest. The I taught myself watch making bit is great. What a joke. And I love the line about not owning reps any more. Yeeeeeaa RIIIIIIIGHT! He might have one gen now (I'm sure he could afford at least one after raping so many RWGers), but I guarantee he still has his reps.

Oh well, good riddance. But I think I've said that before.

Wow, Mark must be out of his mind.

I love RWG for our community and our amazing HONEST members, but Mark is a low life scammer. He only got me for a datewheel, but when you add up all the datewheels and all the watches, the formula I get is:

Mark aka Finepics=Punk [censored]. I would love him to be ousted on the "GEN" boards. I own gens and I own reps...but bottom line, being a member on a Gen board doesn't make you more "honest" than being on a rep board.

How can someone like Mark/Finepics even be able to show his face anywhere??!! :thumbdown:

I hope some one will tell people what type of person he is on risti

Please, please be careful guys. This could snowball into a cause celebre for all gen/rep dual forum members.

I would suggest, if someone here is very adamant on outting him, to approach the admins/mods of the Risti forum, rather than a shaming post which he could use for mudslinging with others.

I feel very sorry for members who have been here for a while, who then bought a gen PAM, and are there now too. They'll surely be outted by this man, in retaliation. And then what?

Please, please be careful guys. This could snowball into a cause celebre for all gen/rep dual forum members.

I would suggest, if someone here is very adamant on outting him, to approach the admins/mods of the Risti forum, rather than a shaming post which he could use for mudslinging with others.

I feel very sorry for members who have been here for a while, who then bought a gen PAM, and are there now too. They'll surely be outted by this man, in retaliation. And then what?

And then what what...? :huh: I get the obvious self-interest behind your 'concern', but seriously, what are you so worried about? You think he'll out you? You think you'll be persona non grata? Talk about paranoia.

Personally, I don't see the need to warn anybody. As someone said, karma will out (swidavid or otherwise :lol:).....both for Finepics and any of those at Risti (and there is a high proportion of ill-educated pompous numpties there) that are stupid enough to buy into his bullsh*t. I'm just glad he's gone from this place if that's his MO.

V brings up a good point. "Outing" him only makes sense if someone is a credible long time risti and really wants to pursue this quietly. I always wondered if those folks who are members of both RWG and risti ever fess up that they buy reps as well. I do own reps and gens but concluded that I prefer to quietly read what is on risti rather than get into the whole rep versus gen thing with a bunch of purists. And yes I find the general horological content is far higher here.

On Mark, I continue to have mixed feelings. It sounds like there are plenty of people who have outright been ripped off. In my case he did his best to make me whole by returning everything he had and doing what he could. Unfortunately he also tried things that he could not handle. It was not a happy ending but I felt he had done what he could to rectify things and even did some extra polishing and things that he was capable of. The few forum members who I am close to think I am nuts and was simply taken advantage of. I will never knowMy feelings have now turned more to the negative now that I know he has moved on to Risti but more importantly is now buying gens and people here are out money. I will always believe (perhaps I am an optimist) that he did not join our form as a scammer. He got in way over his head. What is disappointing is that he ultimately fled. He is not the first and will not be the last.

what is the big deal its not death row for owning a rep and i cant realy understand your point at all.

Out him somebody, a scammer is not less hated on gen boards even if it was replica owners he scammed.

Cheers,

V brings up a good point. "Outing" him only makes sense if someone is a credible long time risti and really wants to pursue this quietly. I always wondered if those folks who are members of both RWG and risti ever fess up that they buy reps as well. I do own reps and gens but concluded that I prefer to quietly read what is on risti rather than get into the whole rep versus gen thing with a bunch of purists. And yes I find the general horological content is far higher here.

Nah, all it would take would be a few choice sentences from any any of us, introduced anonymously as one of us--Mark dopily opened the door to that, not only by his backhanded defense of our ethics, but by leading the risti to believe that he was just a garden variety, principled rep collector, which is far cry from someone who delved into the actual manufacture of rep parts, modding reps, perhaps selling reps as gens, and stealing money. IMO,once the Paneristi become aware of Mark's actual involvement in the rep biz, he's toast.

BTW, Modding reps to pay for gens is hilariously smarmy--"I'm happy to ruin the fake watches of the unwashed, but only gens are good enough for me!"

So the question is who wants to out him over there and confess they are active on the rep boards. I had never seen anyone confess other than Mark but I don't follow that forum very carefully. As it is the risti are incensed about fakes. I wonder in a sick way whether the risti's would be pleased to hear about people buying reps being ripped off. I am not talking about the folks who are already over here. Maybe I am being too cynical. At the end of the day each active risti will make their own decision.

If everyone is so adamant about outing the guy, why don't you register on that board and 'out' him them. Take some initiative if you are so [censored] off at the guy.

I bought one of his date discs, and he shipped it to me. Was I ripped off? Techincally no. Ethically, yes. Was I [censored] off, yes. It took over 6 months to get it, communication was terrible. He was very easy to get in touch with and answered my emails promptly right up until I clicked send on my Paypal account. The disc did show up, but it was not the quality I was expecting especially after paying 60 pounds. A few of the numbers had small bubbles in the printing, not noticable except under the loupe, but still noticable. It was one of those things that happens. I really didn't need to buy it, I just got caught up in a modding frenzy and bought it so I have to take responsibility my actions. I didn't have to send him the money. But with that said, he really should have had some business ethics and responed to my emails and sent out a quality product, especially since it cost me $110 CDN at the time. Would I out the guy? Not likely, would I stand up and give him a reference? Definately, but it wouldn't be in his favor, I can guarantee that.

I suggest that if he still owes you anything, send him a message on the board. or email him. His email is published on there.

And then what what...? :huh: I get the obvious self-interest behind your 'concern', but seriously, what are you so worried about? You think he'll out you? You think you'll be persona non grata? Talk about paranoia.

Perhaps you missed a very important post on top, where I spoke about this, DBR. I can't believe you would write this if you had read what I wrote they tried to create mischief about me.

Let me be clear:

Someone already outted me. They know I am a rep owner.

I am not concerned about ME. I'm concerned about OTHERS who are still on the down low there.

This person is up to no good, but until he actually DOES something there, what happened here happened HERE. The most we can do is to warn their Admins/mods, IMO. Anyone want to do more, they are acting out of revenge, and not to share information. Worse, they're taking others with them.

Now, DBR, I am tired of asking for apologies from you. You constantly feel you have to take me down a peg, for my expressing opinions. I like you, but it's enough. You need to modify your attitude towards me because it's unfair.

So the question is who wants to out him over there and confess they are active on the rep boards. I had never seen anyone confess other than Mark but I don't follow that forum very carefully. As it is the risti are incensed about fakes.

People there know squat about fakes, people. Listen to Kruzer00.

They won't think you're doing them a favour. They'll think it's some sordid little squabble between present fake owners and ex-fake owners, and nothing more.

I wonder in a sick way whether the risti's would be pleased to hear about people buying reps being ripped off.

That's EXACTLY how they'll think. I already predict the message titles.

How can you own a fake and expect to be believed here? (nt)

You got what you deserved (nt)

Mods can you ban these people?

Mods can you ban these people reply: It makes me sick these people are here, who else is a rep owner?

And so on.

And they would be totally in the right too.

I am not talking about the folks who are already over here. Maybe I am being too cynical. At the end of the day each active risti will make their own decision.

There might be a silent minority of people who think it's okay. As I said, I know there are many famous Risti members who dabble on both sides of the fence. They even sell their "Aftermarket" obviously DSN bracelets on the Accessories Corner. They get away with it. How I don't know. But they do.

But the vitriol is real against rep collectors. Moreso than any other gen forum I've read. Maybe others at this point would like to chime in...

what is the big deal its not death row for owning a rep and i cant realy understand your point at all.

I remember during the Lanikai/Flavor Flav debacle, you were amongst the first braying for Lanikai's blood. You're a very rash, unthinking young man, from what I can see.

I'm sorry. But if you think it's not a deep insult to people who scrimp and save, or just spend their hard-earned money to buy a genuine watch, just to have others thumb their nose and buy a rep watch for a few hundred, then what can I say?

Let me be clear AGAIN. I'm no better than you. I buy rep watches too. The difference may JUST be that I know what I am doing, with all its moral implications. You seem not to know. If I'm wrong, I apologise.