When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new sub

310jag

So, I haven't posted here in ages, and feel bad about it. But I really haven't been too active in the watch community for quite some time, as life has its way of deciding what we will be spending our time (and money!) on. I've had no new news on the watch front, until the past week. As some of you may know, I do work in the jewelry business, and am only second to one in seniority in my store, and one of three who are DCA certified in diamonds and precious metals, which I am quite proud of. I love the business, despite its troubles at times. Any business will have its highs and lows.

Anyway, I've always been a rep collector. I started in 1999 with a horrid two tone blue Submariner. I loved that watch, despite how cheesy it was. The worst canal street rep one could imagine. Just, horrid. I found this site around 2005, and began paypal-ing money overseas like crazy. My collection quickly grew to fulfill my relative short wish list; a better two-tone submariner, an all stainless/white dial Datejust, a newer black dial Turn-o-graph, and a Pam 111h. The TT sub was my favorite by far, but being a rep, still left me wanting more. It was nice on the wrist, and fooled *literally* everyone who looked at it. Even people I work with who have sold Rolex. Scary, isn't it? However, when removed from the wrist, it removed all doubt of being even slightly credible. Still, I was never called out.

Fast forward to the beginning of this past week. I stopped by one of two local ADs, both of which I am very familiar with and know one of two associates at each. None of them know about my reps, just as a precaution. I talked with one salesman (although I hate that word), who has truly become a friend over the past two years. As a matter of fact, he now has a copy of my resume, so who knows what the next few months may bring...

With college graduation two weeks away, Christmas quickly approaching, and a birthday next month, I decided to treat myself. Long story short, here she is. :)

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

sub1.jpg

sub2.jpg

sub3.jpg

sub6.jpg

sub7.jpg

sub8.jpg

sub9.jpg

sub10.jpg

sub11.jpg

sub12.jpg

sub13.jpg

sub14.jpg

sub15.jpg

sub16.jpg

sub17.jpg

sub18.jpg

Words simply cannot describe it. My God, the colors are electric in person, and no photograph could ever do them justice. The fit and finish blows even the nicest of my modded reps out of the water. The sweep is smoother than my best ETA, the color of the gold, the feel of the crown screwing/unscrewing, the tightness of the clasp, the lack of rattle in the bracelet, EVERYTHING. It's gorgeous.

The new wave box is also quite impressive. The texture of the cloth, the tightness of the hinge, the embossment on the cardboard, just... wow! A couple things about the newer watches.. They are no longer being shipped with green hologram stickers. I'm sure this has been discussed before, though. Also, there are no more paper warranties. The new style is a credit card sized card with all the information on the watch, AD, and the owner. Also included are revised booklets, and a new stiff cardboard wallet. Also, the subs are no longer being shipped with the famous (and useless) anchors. I looked forward to hanging one from my rearview mirror, but I'll live.

I did the best I could with the pics, and my limited photography equipment, knowledge, and skills. I'd be glad to take any other pictures from requested angles, weights, measurements, etc that may be helpful to this community.

Also, my friend/salesperson slid me the extras in the picture.. The ROLEXROLEXROLEX polishing cloth/hankerchief(?) and a brand new pair of Rolex gloves used anytime they are removed from the cases at night, or set up in the morning before opening. Most impressive. And they fit like a...well, you know. :)

Edited by 310jag

BEAUTIFUL! Many happy returns, and congrats on the forthcoming graduation.

You know, when I started this rep watch caper, I was adamantly against Rolexes. Had put mine away, and thrust them to the back of my mind.

But really, there's nothing like a Rolex is there? It's just the gold standard of watches. I'm so happy you found your dream watch, at last.

sub17.jpg

Love the gloves. B)

Yes, the hologramme thing had been discussed here before. The plastic card you picture below, is its replacement, yes?

sub5.jpg

This is much bigger package than the Rolex packages I've received with my gens, and small wonder at these prices. :p

Many congrats again!

Congrats...

Excellent choice...

I own the same in Black...

Wear it well...

Double T

Yes TT and I own the same one in black. Actually it's his but we in this together. :) A VERY nice present to yourself, I do have a black MBK version what is going to get a gen dial and insert. It will never be as nice as yours and TT's, so you guys wear them in good health.

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words. I'm definitely feeling some buyers remorse, but mainly due to the price. It was hard for me to rationalize this big (but at the same time small) of a purchase, but I know it's something I'll keep for a long time. Additionally, I don't have to worry about swimming with it in the summer, the lume, gold fading, inaccurate dial/bezel colors, CGs, etc. Removing my "diving watch" before jumping in the pool always seemed a little unusual!

@Victoria - Yes, the plastic card is replacing the glossy paper certificates. It seems a wise move, as the cards should hold up better over time. I love the gloves too. They're certainly a unique piece of memorabilia. :)

• 2 months later...

Yes....the rehault and the dial looks very very good here....nice job on the CGs....very impressive....not to mention the flawless lume job....and the bracelet...my goodness....must be tripple wrapped 18k....how did you manage to get your hands on that gen bezel....by the way....I really liked the little touch with the price tag....and with all that paperwork and the glove to go with it you should have NO PROBLEM fooling anyone....

:lol::lol::lol::lol: ....just having fun....beautiful watch man....one to pass down from generation to generation....or just trade it in after a few years for a different model.... :D this is proof that collecting reps leads to buying a gen....

Edited by Nightstroker

Thanks everybody! It's starting collect the usual fine scratches, especially on the gold, which breaks my heart. I try to stay on top of it with a quick polish with the selvyt, but it's just not enough. I think before the summer months get here I'll break it down and spend some time infront of the buffing wheel..

• 5 months later...
Thanks everybody! It's starting collect the usual fine scratches, especially on the gold, which breaks my heart. I try to stay on top of it with a quick polish with the selvyt, but it's just not enough. I think before the summer months get here I'll break it down and spend some time infront of the buffing wheel..

please tell me you didnt get the buffing wheel....

Beautiful watch, nice pictures. I love the way the shade of the blue dial changes with different lighting. The first scratches on mine drove me crazy. I quickly learned that you simply cannot even look at a watch with gold, esp. the bracelet, and not scratch it. I also learned that the easier the watch scratches, the easier it is to get the scratches out. So I got used to dealking with the number of scratches that typically accrue over a few months, in between light polishing of the center links with a Cape Code cloth and occassional spot treatments with finishing rouge for deeper scratches. It's enough to keep the bracelet and case shiny and in shopworn condition (which is the condition that many gold gens are sold in if you buy it out of a display case). I stop short of making the watch look brand spanking new because I don't want to remove so much metal that my polishing routine is not sustainable, so I don't try to completely eliminate deeper scratches in one shot. I find that its the gazillions of tiny superficial scratches that cause the bracelet or case to lose luster, and eventually, after many light polishing jobs, the less superficial scratches will be reduced in appearance or come out completely. So, enjoy and don't worry about the scratches!

Nice watch mate wear it with Pride, if you ever need a rep of that one the TT Euromariner is supposed to be the best, Bytor has reviewed it but i would love to see a REP GEN comparison of the two

Photo by Bytor

title2-1.jpg