When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Electric toothbrush, Anyone?

ajoesmith

I have go this one:

31HRDNKTC9L._AA240_.jpg

its not sonic but mechanical.

I hardly used it lately because I am quite anoyed by the noise it makes esp. in the morning .

BUT it cleanes well - the brushes are expensive as hell!

Since I need a new one every two years because the battery is dying (braun ofers a swap of the hole handset for little money nut I want the newest modell) I will head for the sonic one which is described as less noisy and mor like an ordinary brush.

So my suggestion is: go for the sonic care!

Sonicare is a good one, Braun is what I have used for a couple of years and it is as good as Sonicare, with Oral B coming is a distant third. The Braun has a double head rotating and vibrating brush which work more efficiantly than the single head brush of Sonicare. The only downside is that the replacement heads are about the cost of three toothbrushes., but hey your teeth are important and deserve to be pampered.

I use an Oral B model its about a year or so old. Cleans pretty good and replace heads every 2 weeks, I am kind of strange that way. Model I picked up had two units which worked pretty good I keep one at home, and keep one in the car for use at work or when I am away from home. I just have to keep remembering to charge the one I keep in the car every few weeks so it doesn't die on me.

Thinking of buying an electric toothbrush as apparently they clean better

So my dentist says.

Any members use one?

Yes. I was a hard bristle girl until two years ago when I finally caved into modernity. I used to mildly scoff at people for being rather lazy when using these -- but then I realised I have a microwave oven and an automatic car.

I have been doing some research and the Oral B triumph or Sonicare seem to be pretty good

Any advice?

Research it carefully on e-opinion before buying yours, Ajoesmith, but I have the Sonicare 7551 (I think that's right. I threw away the packaging).

It's packed with extra goodies seen below, which will come in handy since you have to change the heads AT LEAST every 6 months -- heads are expensive if bought separately. I change them every month, for sanitary reasons.

philipssonicarehx7551elpg3.jpg

It's programmable, although it defaults to about "4 cycles" of cleaning, separated for each quadrant of your mouth. You hear a little buzz-sound change, which means move on to the top, bottom, etc.

A full-overnight charge lasts you 2-3 weeks, depending if you're maniacal about brushing your teeth after every meal, as I am. That's invaluable if you're travelling to a foreign country, and don't want to lug around big adapters for it.

On the front, you will see green LEDs which turn progressively yellow to let you know how much of a charge you have. Brilliant.

Yes, it's pricey, but it should last you for years. Mine looks mint and it's been the world over.

I have used both Braun and Oral B but not sonic and to tell the truth I just seem to prefer manual brushing, nothing like a little elbow grease to get them clean.

Ken

I too stayed away from electric as a preferes a good manual scrub, but now we have what looks like a manual but is also electric so you can still have a good scrub but with the added advantage of the cleaning of an auto.

My 8yr old had to point out that we could turn them on though :cc_surrender:

I have been using the Braun for many years now and I like it (and I don't mind the noise). When it comes to avoid building up tartar and massaging your gums, there is nothing better. However, the rotating/vibrating brush is very effective, perhaps too effective, so you have to be careful with your choice of toothpaste. Don't use toothpaste with too much scouring-powder in it, because you will brush the enamel off your teeth, if you do. You should also be aware not to use pressure on the brush and not to brush longer than about one minute. :D

Cheers,

Volker

as a dental student, i'll be the first to tell you that plaque control can be great with either toothbrush, electric or manual. it's whether you want the convienence/ease of an electric. dentists will tell you that the electric is better because they buy em at $60, and sell em to you for $120 in their offices.

but if you're bent on getting an electric, i can certainly offer my advice.

i personally use a oral b triumph professional series that was given to me and have bought and gave out as gifts to friends and family. i believe it to be a great toothbrush. the settings work very well and if you have a hard time adhering to the 2 minute rule, this makes it easier as the brush breaks up the 2 minutes into 30 second intervals for each quadrant of your mouth. once fully charged, the brush can go 3-4 days without another charge, assuming that you're brushing 2 times a day. you can change the type of bristle head you like, but i don't think it really makes a difference. all brushes are soft bristled in comparison to days of old, and the extra "floss" or "polish" specialty heads are pretty much all the same: overpriced and not much difference in performance/function.

sonicare recently came to talk to us and are sending us free samples of the new Sonicare FlexCare with UV Sanitizer. they're sending one to us for free, but my girlfriend has already called dibbs on it. if you're in no hurry to buy one, i can get back to you on how she likes it. i can find out if they offer dental student pricing for you, but you'd probably have to wait until the end of january as we don't meet with the sonicare representative again until mid january.

hope this helps and brush well! :)

i have a sonicare elite and yet have found myself brushing more with a oral b pulsar -- it isn't big & bulk & has pretty much the same effect -- i actually prefer the pulsar to the sonicare elite

I originally bought the Pulsar (it wasn't $6, more like double that at my local supermarket at the time). I liked it, but it was bulky, and made my gums bleed.

Whomever posted that it's more expensive at the dentists, is right. I tried to buy the Sonicare my dentist had in his office, but it was well over $220. I got mine on eBay, brand new, for about $170 shipped, so that's a huge savings.

The thing with the Sonicare is that the bristles are tiny. It's a tiny head. When you first turn it on, you feel like a thousand feathers are rubbing up against your teeth. Takes some getting used to, but it's fantastic.

After I got it, (though you still MUST floss) I have never gotten plaque again. Toothpaste I use is Aquafresh's "Extreme Clean" Arctic flavour. It leaves your tongue and teeth really tingly. This British girl ain't letting the side down with bad teeth. :p

My mother still prefers and uses a manual brush her self if that says anything, but out of all the electric brushes she says the sonicare is by far the best and worth the expensive price tag..She runs an all-female practice, and a bunch of her employee's swear by electric toothbrushes...Like watches, it's all personal preference, apples to oranges...I tried the sonicare elite e9800 a few months before it came out and liked it however I still use an old fashion toothbrush for the dentist recommended 2 minutes -go in circular motions wax on-wax off...To this day I have 0 cavities :D

I also have the Sonicare Elite. Bought it on Ebay for about $85.00. Two replacement heads cost about $30 but big deal. I have had this one for about 3 years and love it.

A full-overnight charge lasts you 2-3 weeks, depending if you're maniacal about brushing your teeth after every meal, as I am. That's invaluable if you're travelling to a foreign country, and don't want to lug around big adapters for it.

I can attest to that. I take mine along when I travel and it was still going strong after 10 days in Vegas.....