When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Slevin Aquatimer with some upgrades.

RWG Technical

This is the first Aquatimer I have done the lume on. I have done a number of Cousteau models, this one is slightly different, but the same overall.

I have been trying to improve my lume application on the bezel, as well as improve on the Gloss finish so it looks nicer. Getting better, not perfect by any means, but practice does allow one to learn and improve.

I hope you like the results.

First up, new ETA 7750 install...as I went to install the hands, I noted that the 30 minute counter post was broken off, so I had to replace the 30 minute gear, not a big deal and not unusual for used movements to have defects.

1.jpg

Now on to the lume shots, since you can't see the movement once the case is closed up anyway...

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I am not big on Glow shots, as they can be deceiving. This is a 1 second shot in daylight, the lume is C1 so your not going to get the same glow as you do with C3 which is the brightest. But it looks good.

6.jpg

Only thing missing is the Chieftang AR coated crystal, but in reality it's not going to look much different than it does now, given that the new AR makes the crystal invisible.

Thanks for looking.

RG

Im not a big fan of this watch but the dial and bezel sure do look cool. Its absolutely amazing how you make the lume look perfect on these bezels. Even in the closeups... its perfect. Great work!

dizz

It is simply beautiful, The Zigmeister. I plan on doing the same thing to my Slevin (my lume kit just came in...), but was perplexed as to where I should apply the lume.

You post answered all my questions...thanks!

Tell me, what kind of tool did you use to apply the lume?

Tell me, what kind of tool did you use to apply the lume?

I use a metal watch oiler, the red coloured one, you can't paint it on, it's like trying to paint snot, you have to apply it one drop at a time.

Total time for only luming the bezel, including the small numerals - 1.5 hours.

Total time I reduce my lifetime due to the stress of luming these bezels - 1 month. :)

@ dluddy

Thought you would like the results.

Thanks for the kind words.

RG

The Zigmeister- I have gens that don't look this good.

It's kind of like watching pro sports...from my couch it looks easy...when I try it I realize how hard it really is. It is not fair that you have been blessed with two gifts! You are the best master watchmaker around and you also have the artisans gift of being able to do incredible lume work.

Great Job. I am jealous of every watch and dial I see you work on.