When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do You Workout With Your Watch On?

bruce79

I ran a 8.2 mile race down here in SD yesterday and when I left my house in the early am, I threw on my 127 so I could have it later in the day. Well, I got on the shuttle that took us to the starting line and realized I forgot to take it off (wasn't even wound yet and the time is wrong)...so I ran the entire race with it on and rather enjoyed it. This is a pic just before I got on the shuttle...

71619-32414.jpg

I've worked out a couple times with my 24 on cuz I wanted to break in a new strap but other than that, I generally don't work out wearing a watch. Many other people at my gym do though and one day this guy noticed my 24 and was really admiring it. He was wearing a DOXA diver and said he owned 20+ other watches including a Pam Sub, Lum Mar, Rollie Sub, etc. He looked right at it up close and didn't notice it was a rep. Damn these things are good.

Does anyone on the forum have a favorite watch they like to work out in? Just curious.

Nice pic!! I always worked out with my 196 and sometimes my Arktos. The 196 especially since it is my fav. beater watch. I only use rubber straps during workouts. Leather straps is a no-no for me. Hoping to wear it for my half-marathon later this year...

I work out with a quartz chronograph so I can time intervals between sets. Working out with autos makes me a little nervous. But I guess it depends on the workout. With free weights I'm more comfortable with a watch that can get beat up a little and it won't matter.

Yeah I've hit my 024 a few times but luckily, no dings or scratches...but to be honest, I wouldn't mind a few...give it a little character perhaps :lol:

I can't work out with a steel bracelet though...it just doesn't feel very good on my wrist.

Not worth the risk IMO. A digital watch is one thing, but even wearing a rep is crazy with the amount I sweat. I never understood the guys who wear nicer watches while working out. There is a guy who wears a Rollie TT blue dial sub at my gym and I wonder about that. Its so easy to bang into something at the gym, not to mention the sweating, its really going to age your watch quicker than normal for no good reason. Plus I would just find it annoying having something on my wrist while lifting weights.

I don't wear a watch at all when I do a calisthenic workout because it gets in the way (push-ups, flutter kicks...). When I run I wear my Casio because I like to have a stopwatch or countdown timer going. When I do yard work or something like that I might wear a watch to break in a strap (as mentioned) or just put on my Casio, I don't want to scratch my watches anymore than I do normally wearing them around. :)

These are all good points...I would have never considered wearing my watch to the gym except to break in the strap. For myself, I think a little sweat is good for a stiff new strap and certainly helped to break mine in.

I don't really bang my watch up cause usually I'm just lifting weights but I definitely wouldn't partake in any contact sports with one on.

I truly think (and I'm guilty too) that folks who wear expensive watches to the gym do so partly to show them off. It's a chance to get them out from under the shirt cuff and really enjoy them. Granted, wearing a dress watch would be odd but I don't think think it's that crazy to wear a sport model like a sub or pam sub. Now doing heavy duty yard work or mechanical work is another story.

I wear a bunch of my watches to the gym to workout, and I do sweat alot, what's the point of going if you're not gonna work! My $60 CN Datejust does fine, or my WM sub. I have a few knock-off subs I don't hesitate to wear (or swim w/ for that matter), and some other swiss gens that I don't mind wearing. I do wear my vintage 1500 Date from time to time since it's been pressure tested, but not the gen 1680 since it hasn't.

I don't wear the vintage chronos, rep chronos, any of my "dress" watches, any suspect reps or the reps I don't want to risk.

I think that the ss watches are too heavy to have on your wrist when you work out. I wear a Casio G-shock when I work out too.

I can't work out with a watch....at least not when working chest....your wrist gets bent back, and your forearms get pumped...makes wearing a watch very uncomfortable....

I ran a 8.2 mile race down here in SD yesterday and when I left my house in the early am, I threw on my 127 so I could have it later in the day. Well, I got on the shuttle that took us to the starting line and realized I forgot to take it off (wasn't even wound yet and the time is wrong)...so I ran the entire race with it on and rather enjoyed it. This is a pic just before I got on the shuttle...

71824-32370.jpg

I've worked out a couple times with my 24 on cuz I wanted to break in a new strap but other than that, I generally don't work out wearing a watch. Many other people at my gym do though and one day this guy noticed my 24 and was really admiring it. He was wearing a DOXA diver and said he owned 20+ other watches including a Pam Sub, Lum Mar, Rollie Sub, etc. He looked right at it up close and didn't notice it was a rep. Damn these things are good.

Does anyone on the forum have a favorite watch they like to work out in? Just curious.

I tend not too for 2 reasons. The first is comfort. I perspire a great deal when I workout and as a result, devlop a rash when i wear a watch. In addition, I lift weights using wrap around gloves which, when worn with a watch, adds to the discomfort.

Secondly, my understanding is that schock poses the greatest risk for watches. Again, because the bulk of my activity involves resistance training, I tend to resist wearing the watch.

I perspire a great deal when I workout and as a result, devlop a rash when i wear a watch.

I get the same problem with stainless steel watches. Maybe you have a mild nickel allergy.

Titanium does not cause a problem though, so you may want to try it.

My workout is Tai Chi Chuan, where they recommend not to wear even the tiniest bit of metal -- so none of my beloved watches for me there. :(

Excuse me guy's but I'm laughing my arse off here :Jumpy:

Ok I'm getting on a bit now but in my younger days I was a gym instructor and quite frankly back then any one who wore any jewelery during a workout was thought of as a bit of a wanker.

If you were working out in the gym even if you wore a cheap Seiko you took it off before you started, if you went for a jog the only acceptable adornment was a cheap sports watch.

See we saw exercising as a way to get fit not another opportunity to impress those around us.

Ok putting on my flame vest and pissing off now :bicycle:

Ken

My workout is Tai Chi Chuan, where they recommend not to wear even the tiniest bit of metal -- so none of my beloved watches for me there. :(

You are a dangerous man indeed! :o

Excuse me guy's but I'm laughing my [censored] off here :Jumpy:

Ok I'm getting on a bit now but in my younger days I was a gym instructor and quite frankly back then any one who wore any jewelery during was thought of as a bit of a [censored].

If you were working out in the gym even if you wore a cheap Seiko you took it off before you started, if you went for a jog the only acceptable adornment was a cheap sports watch.

See we saw exercising as a way to get fit not another opportunity to impress those around us.

Ok putting on my flame vest and pissing off now :bicycle:

Ken

exactly. Why anyone would wear a high end watch or rep to the gym is beyond me. There is a guy that wears a GMT Rollie to my gym and all he does is do a couple reps and looks at the time? <_< Give me break.

There is no need for it IMO. Wearing a digital watch to time laps or something is one thing but wearing a nice automatic for posing is another. :g:

It's just like me walking around in this pose all day.

71970-32345.jpg

Don't laugh. That is actually me

Edited by rocket754

Different strokes for different folks...if wearing a sports watch (whether it be a casio, sub, whatever) to the gym is any more ridiculous than wearing it to the office, then I think I missed something.

Some folks, myself included, cannot wear a watch while playing golf...it f$#%ks up my swing but do you think I give a rats ass if anybody else does. That being said, I do appreciate everybody giving their insight. This is great. :rolleyes: