When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Non-divers wearing diving watches....

Nightstroker

Non-divers wearing diving watches....  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Please give your opinion....

• Yes....it is okay for non-divers to wear diving watches....
    • I do not think it is right to wear a diving watch unless you do some diving....

Some guy over at RWG1 posted a thread about what a shame it is that so many people are wearing subs yet they do not dive....

He went on to explain that a watch should not be purchased/worn unless you plan to use it for its intended purpose....and was rather arrogant about it also....

So this got me thinking....does ANYONE agree with this lunatic?

My argument was that if you like the way it looks and you can afford it then you are justified in buying and wearing it regardless of its intended purpose....

With this he does not agree....

NS

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a watch looked like a diving watch that had a zero water restance rating I would still wear it if I liked it. Of course, there is always a possibility of needing the water resistance, so even though I never get in the water unless showering, I will keep wearing them thank you very much.

In my view dive watches are a great all rounder because they are built tough by design and of course, are very waterproof.

I've always preferred the dive watch look and I see divers as a very practical choice for a general wear watch. I asked a mate of mine last month where his new work watch was, he said it got water in it when he was fixing some pipes.

Next year in my long service leave I'm actually going to learn how to dive, it is something I have always wanted to experience. The thought that I should have waited half my life to wear a dive watch, because I'm not yet a diver is utterly ridiculous.

Where does that line of thinking go? If you haven't climbed the big three you can't wear an Explorer? If you don't own a yacht you shouldn't wear a Yachtmaster? What if you don't own a full blown race car? Well you had better not be seen wearing a Daytona?

The guys either just got his dive ticket and he thinks he's '1337', or he's just young.

Edited by Greystash

A sea-dweller never going on a dive.. is that like owning an Enzo that will never see a track? A lion in a zoo?

Dive watches are built to take a beating in general. Does the average Rolex owner use their watch in any industrial fashion? Hell no!

Its the fact that they could. We all look for that potential in some way, shape, or form.

I'm licensed to dive. Not that it makes a difference, it's still just one mans opinion, just like that guy.

Nowadays, watch houses are in the business of making money. If inspiration for a watch design comes from a porthole, or from an aeroplane, the watch houses want to buy it regardless of your own interests or profession.

Guest carlsbadrolex

I havent been deeper than 10 feet in over 2 years... But I will be the first person to own a Deep Sea in Carlsbad, CA.

My feeling is, if you like it... wear it.

I think modern divers are wearing dive computers on their wrist that have time, depth gauge etc and calculates decompression time. The only divers wearing watches are snorkelers and they don't dive very deep :p

I think dive watches are just fun to wear. A DRSD is my daily beater.

But the logical half of my brain agrees with the original post's proposition that it is silly to wear a watch that was designed as a diving 'tool' (at least in the case of vintage Subs.....current models are more bling than tool) for everyday wear on dry land. Sean Connery has the panache to pull off a Sub & a tux, I do not. But with jeans & a t, sure, why not?

What a ridiculous way of thinking, that only some diver could have a dive-watch or only some pilot-guy could own a chronograph.

Couldn't think of something more stupid.

And maybe only baseball professionals are allowed to own baseball caps?

Edited by #ars

I completely agree.

Just like my Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch should only be worn by people like me who have been to the moon...and I'm holding off on buying my IWC Doppelchrono Top Gun until 2 weeks from now when I finish my training at the Top Gun school...I was so glad when the fine folks in the Red Light district finally agreed to be mine...so I could finally wear my ultra-Pimp piece:

RXleopard.jpg

Growing up around the Ocean... and spending so much time in the water... it just seemed ntural to have a watch that was water resistant ...

but I alway's looked at divers watches as "tough'.. and able to withstand abuse.. :p

Needless to say Pilot Watches are for what?

wow take away our Divers and Pilot's.. do you need to be a diploma carrying Mathmatician to wear a FM Crazy numeral watch ?

Does "Muff diving " count haha.. that didn't get {cencored}...

maybe someone should start a "irrelevant" thread.. or a " are we running out of things to discuss" thread :lol: