When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Palp Crowns - should i produce some for RWG?

t

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If any of the engineers/ designers who have so generously posted in this loop have actual experience converting either a scan of an actual case part or more general drawings into CNC usable plans please shoot me a PM whenever you have a chance. I am working with another member on a small CNC project and before we invest real money into it I had a couple of quick questions. Thanks in advance.

-Kruz

OK...

I am a mechanical engineer and have SolidWorks and all the software needed to do what's needed in 3d... I can convert laser scanned data into useable surfaces for manufacturing... But I really don't understand why we have to re-invent the wheel... anyone have a direct line to JimmyFu?

If not... I will help any way I can if there is some scanned data of original cases... or even 2D data, and I will turn it into a full 3D model ready for manufacture...

I could even generate the CNC code, but would want to know the full process, a some of this would be forged, I'm sure... and there weould be no need to machine the full case, unless it is to create a new forging die... which brings me back to the same point of re-inventing the wheel....

Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Cheers

D

anyone have a direct line to JimmyFu?

This would be the best idea. But from what I have gathered over the years, it seems that not even Jimmy has the cad files he needs. He more or less gave the parts to a manufactor and they built and scanned everything, and do not realease that information back to him.

I have even tried to get the files from Palp himself and also his partner. But they are not the most urgent of folks and last contact with them took 2 months.

OK...

I am a mechanical engineer and have SolidWorks and all the software needed to do what's needed in 3d... I can convert laser scanned data into useable surfaces for manufacturing... But I really don't understand why we have to re-invent the wheel... anyone have a direct line to JimmyFu?

If not... I will help any way I can if there is some scanned data of original cases... or even 2D data, and I will turn it into a full 3D model ready for manufacture...

Cheers

D

I have had a good trading relationship with Jimmy Fu but he is a fairly prominent Panersiti who decided, a few years ago, to produce his own homage watch. He had 200 pieces made using his own 001D as a pattern but then along came the Panerai litigation against 'Ken Trading' in respect of the original RXW Marina Militaire, where Panerai were successful. Jimmy decided not to go ahead and instead started to off-load his parts on ebay, described as 'after-market' replacement parts together with a warning that use of these parts would inavlidate any warranty from Panerai. He was deliberately disassociating himself from the rep scene and he clearly doesn't want any further part in any related activity. I asked him for contact details of the machine shop used but he told me that 'it was no longer in business' - he's a gentleman but I don't think that he will be willing to assist in any way.

Edited by PAMman

Also, i dont know if anyone mentioned this, gen crowns have rubber o-rings and a spring, can you repllicate that too? it would be great to be able to achieve the same depth rating as a gen (or very close) ;)

also, the crown should fit standard rep cases, not DSN's only, as many people here have standard reps or start modding with standard reps.

Edited by mil_sub

Also, i dont know if anyone mentioned this, gen crowns have rubber o-rings and a spring, can you repllicate that too? it would be great to be able to achieve the same depth rating as a gen (or very close) ;)

also, the crown should fit standard rep cases, not DSN's only, as many people here have standard reps or start modding with standard reps.

We allready considered the o-rings and whe think they should be there. The spring mechanism won

Edited by Fish

Hey all,

If someone could please give me the proper dimensions, I could have a CNC ready file in less than a day. I have some of them but still need others.

width: 1.95mm

diameter: 10mm

teeth height: ?

ditch height:

etc

Hi Tootall,

that

Edited by Fish

FYI.

I did CAD/CAM work for 8 years and I would not want to take the CAM data that someone else created and use it on my machine. Save yourself some time and just create the CAD data that can be taken to a shop and let them set it up their own way.

Regarding case tubes, it's not hard to remove the case tubes..>Even pressed in ones. I use a screw extractor put into a tap holder and twist. I haven't had any issues yet. Perhaps I've been lucky.

FYI.

I did CAD/CAM work for 8 years and I would not want to take the CAM data that someone else created and use it on my machine. Save yourself some time and just create the CAD data that can be taken to a shop and let them set it up their own way.

Regarding case tubes, it's not hard to remove the case tubes..>Even pressed in ones. I use a screw extractor put into a tap holder and twist. I haven't had any issues yet. Perhaps I've been lucky.

Good thought. I guess you

Edited by Fish

Ok guys. I just drawed the crown with the measurements from FISH. I did it on CoCreate ME10 / OSD.

Everyone, please have a look and tell me if something is wrong..

I left out the thingie for the stem though, since I don't know how that looks. Does someone have the measurements for it?

post-4358-1210256008_thumb.jpg

Ok guys. I just drawed the crown with the measurements from FISH. I did it on CoCreate ME10 / OSD.

Everyone, please have a look and tell me if something is wrong..

I left out the thingie for the stem though, since I don't know how that looks. Does someone have the measurements for it?

Good job, Tom Hawkes!

Now I found my better caseback opener and got the missing dimensions for the crown shaft.

Tube outside diameter is 4,5mm, inside is 2,15

We got 2,5mm of way from the outside surface of the crown to inside the case so th max. stem length is defined by that. Since the tube bore goes through in the same size all the way we could extend the crown shaft up to 0,25mm inside the case, the thread length of the stem allows that.

The gasket inside my crown is 3,3x1,8x0,5. My crown stem is 1,8mm thick.

Conclusions:

We should make the ditch 4,8mm wide. The rim around the ditch could be even 0,6mm thick as the outer diameter of that rim is 6mm at the gen crown.

The crown shaft that will take the thread for the movement stem is supposed to be 3,25mm long (from the backside of the crown as reference point)

The thickness of the stem shaft should by no means exceed 1,95mm. I

Edited by Fish

How about a final telefone contact within the desing team? t, chefcook, Tom Hawkes, would you like to to that? Everything within Germany I guess we can keep costs under control for that. Just PM me with a number and a time when I can call you.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I have 2 comments:

This thread got me all worked up, and I made 3 calls to local CNC shops: Two claimed to be able to have the ability to reverse engineer parts. One guy was clearly excited about his machines ans spent 20 minutes telling me about all the stuff he's done w/ this new thingamabob he put on one of his 6 axis CNC machines that more or less scans a 3d object to a high level of accuracy and even tells the cnc machine which tools to use. Apparently, the last thing they reverse engineered was some kind of piston assembly for $800, then forged and milled in a 25 piece run, both of which are good news. If this guy is not full of hooey, it means that in a 50 case run it would cost about $16 each not to have to measure everything and deal w/ the possibility for human error, measurement error, match doing, etc. Sure sounds good on paper...Which brings me to my next point.

I think that if anyone does this it's crucial to find a shop that has done watch related projects. I've worked with several print, lens, and machine shops trying to do cyclops, DW, and CG projects. All claimed to have the best technology available. Almost none of them had the slightest concept of the tolerances watch projects require, or at least pretended not to. I suspect that the shops that do work at super high tolerances don't mess around w/ our tiny little jobs. in fact I was told several times that a mm margin of error aligning printing on a dw couldn't possibly be meaningful, that 1/16 inch tolerances cutting 1.2 inch circles was good enough for any project the guy w/ a 10 grand laser cutter could think of, that it was madness to require less than a .2mm thickness variation is a lens, and on and on and on. When combined with the fact that for most people a watch is a piece of plastic with flashing numbers, it makes for a lot of frustration.

No offense to anyone here @ RWG who have made the heroic efforts Iwe all know are required to bring something from BSing in a thread to reality: but what percentage of all the projects have worked out fine the first, second, or even third time? I jest think chosing the shop is 99% of the battle and all the stuff discussed so far in this thread is the easy 1%.

I have thrown together a 3D model quickly regarding discussions... some numbers and details would have to be changed, but that is easy... when the numbers update, all the drawing views and geometry updates automatically...

If you guys want to keep going with this, let me know, as I have some free time now.

I can supply to the manufacturer in any 2d and/or 3d format needed for manufacturing.

edit... attachment removed