When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New GMT Ceramic is Here!

subzero1

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first batch sells in record time....second batch comes out with a pretty price of $488!!! :lol:

No doubt!! I notice that Josh's site no longer has the $388 price anymore....but the preliminary $88,888...until the cartel can figure out how much to jack up the price.

.......or maybe that's the new price. You know it's got ceramic...oooooh!! :lol:

Usually they put the 88888$ price in order to block people from going through the automated basket-check out. Look at the DRSD over Andrew's: since it is not available (I asked for it) it is priced in a way that their CC check out will process it.

ceramic isnt even a costy or luxury material, its just harder than steel (i.e. swat wear armor with thick ceramic plates inside to stop rifle bullets, since kevlar is only for handgun bullets)

Hmmm, maybe it costs 40 min of work to create such a bezel but 40 hours sound much better for marketing... I was always wondering how much the manufacturing costs of a Submariner could be. I

I went to the AD today and wasn't as impressed with this watch as I was when I first saw it. Maybe it's because I know everything about it now and have been drooling over it for over 9months. The one thing that I noticed today, though, was how unimpressive the bezel, namely the platinum numbers, is. Maybe they pulled it off better with the rep lol.

Usually they put the 88888$ price in order to block people from going through the automated basket-check out. Look at the DRSD over Andrew's: since it is not available (I asked for it) it is priced in a way that their CC check out will process it.

Guess we'll see. If they jack the price up because the first batch sold quickly then count me out. I'm curious to see what the hands on impression is but if the price jumps up 100-200 then forget it. I've already got a dozen Rollies and I'll just be content with those and wait for the eventual price drop. I'd rather put 500 towards my first vintage rollie instead of this.

This is a little off topic but has this forum and other forums had a turn towards Rollies again.

It seemed to be Panerai Panerai Panerai was the only word going around but now every one is talking rollies again.

In fact I myself have now got 3 Noob rollies in my collection.

This is not a complaint just an observation. And it also seems that even non rollies fans are considering this new GMT ceramic watch.

This is a little off topic but has this forum and other forums had a turn towards Rollies again.

It seemed to be Panerai Panerai Panerai was the only word going around but now every one is talking rollies again.

In fact I myself have now got 3 Noob rollies in my collection.

This is not a complaint just an observation. And it also seems that even non rollies fans are considering this new GMT ceramic watch.

Yeah I agree. I think it the "huge watch trend" might have passed a little bit, and membership is moving towards the standard sizes again.

Just a guess though. For me the 40-42mm is the perfect watch size.

sorry to say so, but The Zigmeister just completely service my 2836 with GMT from my PAM63... when i got it back the GMT sometimes refuses or runs not in sync... so even servicing by The Zigmeister didn't do the job. These movements suck. Period!

As I recall, the GMT gear on those was wonky, and some members broke in servicing... mine has been working fine.

As I recall, the GMT gear on those was wonky, and some members broke in servicing... mine has been working fine.

I've had 4 correct hand stack ETAs.

The issue with this movement is the occasionally slipping hour hand, which is due to badly constructed transfer gear/fork. But there's a weird fix that always works, learned it from bklm1234. I wrote about the fix previously in this thread.

My 3 out of 4 have been perfect though, and the fourth one is working perfectly too (after this weird patent fix).

But then again, supposedly this correct hand stack movement is brand new and more reliable. We're much wiser after Lani gets his watch.

@ Lanikai and geo1nah2a,

I feel like I could still not quite pick out the answer I was looking for since I guess I don't know enough about rollie gmt's. If I were to measure the case of this new rep from 8 o'clock to 2 o'clock (which is what I thought was proper) what would this new rep measure? Let me know if anyone actually can pin that down for me.

Bryan

it may be that the makers are not measuring from case to crown as is proper .. which rolex is doing.. i think the rep will be closer to 44 as the owners of the genuine model are reporting it to be..

Went to the AD to take a look at the Genuine.. very interesting.. i really was tempted to purchase it.. they had 2 left and not in the showcase.. with the discount it would of been around 6500 usd..

the ceramic bezels font is not as thin as the pics show.. the weight is similar to the seadweller ... the AR under the mag is not noticeable.. but then again there is no mag glare like the normal 2.5 magnification lenses..

They addressed issues that were with the older GMT for years..

regarding the bezel.. when Rolex says it takes 40 hours to do one bezel.. it really doesn't mean one technician is working on it for 40 hrs.

it was explained to me that after the ceramic is done the metal is sprayed into the numeral crevices by a micro sprayer.. microns at a time.. and the metal needs to cool obviously and not to much can be applied at once for temperature sake..

so IMOP when they say it takes 40 hrs. .. I believe they are talking about doing multiple bezels and it may take a week to do say a multiple number of bezels..pick a random number 50 or more ??

they are very glossy in nature... being used to the weight of the older GMT you will be surprised at the weight of the 116710 ... there are a lot of improvements in the case set.. hopefully the rep will be the same..

interesting about the rehaut.. it would appear like holographic etching... you can barely see the lettering at all you have to really bring it close .. and from an angle it appears silver.. then changing at angles.. let's see how the rep compares..

there is no hologram sticker on the case back either..

I asked for brochures ... well, let's just say ... the sales person had to give a look to the manager.. who was obviously from Japan.. and the place only had Japanese customers just pointing to watches to wrap up... after he gave his nod ok.. he did look to see if I had all my digits on my hand..

when I asked for a brochure .. i was told they do not have any.. i was surprised .. when i questioned that .. i was told they no longer give them out .. because of counterfeiters ... i said "counterfeiters?" and was told .."yes, rolex is the most counterfeited watch brand in the world".. i just looked confused and exclaimed.. "imagine that !! who would have thought".... man i really wanted to take pics with the brochure..

I went to My business center.. this was after killing time at the AD after the gym.. and the mail did not come in until very late..

it has been piling up at the post since Saturday... needless to say .. the gal had literally palates of mail.. boxes ..fed ex.. UPS.. i just couldn't demand "my" parcel... realistically it may take a day or two to sort this mess out for her... this was more like 4 day's of mail backup..she's really good to me .. so if someone else gets it by tomorrow.. at least you'll have pics.. as I am researching to do a review of the 16710 and the 116710 in comparison .. this is very interesting .. and It's going to take a few hours just for the pics anyway..

hopefully another member will have it too..

@ Lanikai and geo1nah2a,

I feel like I could still not quite pick out the answer I was looking for since I guess I don't know enough about rollie gmt's. If I were to measure the case of this new rep from 8 o'clock to 2 o'clock (which is what I thought was proper) what would this new rep measure? Let me know if anyone actually can pin that down for me.

Bryan

proper .. from the 9 to the end of the crown..

8 in the Chinese culture is Good luck.. ie. 888 .. epsilon egyptian .. sideward 8 sort of .. infinity ??

A couple of you have asked for pics of my gen to be used as comparisons to the rep when it comes in.. give me a few days and I will post a bunch of pics..

Mac

Dallas, Tx

if it's not too much trouble could you message me the pics or to my email.. so I can do side by side.. kudos to you.. otherwise I have genuine pics to use.. but the more the merrier.. :D

if it's not too much trouble could you message me the pics or to my email.. so I can do side by side.. kudos to you.. otherwise I have genuine pics to use.. but the more the merrier.. :D

Lani....

am counting minutes here.. pics! :-)))))))))))))))))

SUSPENSE IS ABSOLUTELY KILLING ME

@ Lanikai and geo1nah2a,

Bryan

Bryan, since I don't have the watch yet I can't measure it myself. But the standard measurement is from 9 to 3, excluding the crown, and rolex and our collectors say it is 40mm. Knowing the shape of this particular watch, if You were to measure it 8 to 2, You would find it to be the same size, since it is around these case points that is more or less the same size as the bezel.