When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New iPhone 2.0 - thoughts?

UB7

The new iPhone came out today. It uses the 3G network, it's slimmer and best of all it only cost $200. Once other people get it and I read some reviews (which im sure will be nothing but great reviews), I might just drop my service provider to get one of these - what do you guys think? Anyone getting 1 soon?

wwdc-keynote_195.jpg

wwdc-keynote_174.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's said to be more durable than the last. Which, in fact, was one of the problems that prevented me from getting the first version. I head that even perspiration would cause problems with the iPhone. I guess it wasn't water resistant.

I'd be interested in this one, especially with that nicer price.

Well.. there is a fine print to this. 199 is with a new contract with AT&T.

In Germany, it's by T Mobile, which I think the plan sucks.

Maybe I will get it in Singapore ;) My Singtel contract already expired last year. Get the 16Gb version. 1 rep = 1 new phone. Not a bad deal IMHO.

This is way too complicated for me... a walkman ipod is where I draw the line... but a mobile telephone is something you need during an emergency, and I don't want to be playing around with some colorful touch screen nonsense as I fight to press 9-1-1...

When will cellular phone manufacturers learn?

Telephone: call people

Walkman: listen to music

Nintendo: video games

Camera: camera

Don't put all of that sh!t into one instrument because you're going to get one really clunky and confusing mess.

Edit: Actual price will be about $500.

It's said to be more durable than the last. Which, in fact, was one of the problems that prevented me from getting the first version. I head that even perspiration would cause problems with the iPhone. I guess it wasn't water resistant.

I'd be interested in this one, especially with that nicer price.

my wife has one, it is very sturdy

- she will upgrade only if there is an improvement other than battery life and 3g - Wait for the reviews.

It is however a good device if you just want simple email, songs, and podcasts

I got my son the i phone for his birthday and he dropped it accidently, shattering the screen, which is made of glass. Apple would not cover the warranty as it was not a functional problem, and they offered to replace it for $250. I then got my boy an LG, which is a good phone, so perhaps he will be more careful, however 200. for the new one is pretty good, and with a service contract through ATT, should run half that. Not bad.

This is way too complicated for me... a walkman ipod is where I draw the line...

What`s a walkman ipod ?

Sorry guys, don`t have one, I don`t want one,

and more to the point don`t need one.

What`s a walkman ipod ?

This is a "i" series device from Apple specifically made for listening to music. Comes in many different variations. Unlike the ipod phone, iphone, it is incapable of connecting to the internet or making telephone calls - strictly a music player. Here is a stock photo of one like mine:

apple_ipod_classic_1.jpg

Turning it off is a little tricky (I've often thought I had turned it off only to find it dead the next morning as it was running all night) but the "single button with large wheel" setup is surprisingly smart and easy to use once you get the hang of it.

I've got an iPhone and haven't managed to break it. :o

I won't go to the new v2.0 because the only thing missing in mine is GPS and you KNOW that's coming. It does "locate me" already on Google Maps and that's nice. Except in the backcountry... where there's nothing to triangulate with.

Plus, as stated, an iPhone is a toy, not a tool. Bring tools to the woods and toys to the city. Real GPS is your friend in the backcountry.

Guest avitt

You guys who plan to drop Verizon for an iPhone on the AT&T network: Think twice. Before you lock yourself into a contract on an inferior network, you should buy a GoPhone (AT&T's prepaid service), and check out their coverage where you live and work. Maybe you'll be lucky in your area, but on average across the US, Verizon operates a far superior network from a quality standpoint.

You guys who plan to drop Verizon for an iPhone on the AT&T network: Think twice. Before you lock yourself into a contract on an inferior network, you should buy a GoPhone (AT&T's prepaid service), and check out their coverage where you live and work. Maybe you'll be lucky in your area, but on average across the US, Verizon operates a far superior network from a quality standpoint.

now that's some good advice :victory:

deltatahoe