When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Biggest watch disappointment?

By-Tor

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the IWC Jones -- nice little watch, but in no ways did it look anything other than what it is... a $100 watch.

Aye the FAJ looked fabulous in pics but 'in the flesh' didn't feel right. I also found if hard to read - silver hands on white dial :huh:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This discussion always makes for an interesting thread.

My vote would go to the uPO, as By-Tor mentioned, it's simply too big. In fact, watches that are especially large and heavy end up being a kind of self-torture, as I love so many of their designs but can't wear them practically in many cases.

I would put the AP ROO in this category as well. I refuse to get rid of my MBK AP ROO because I like it so much, and yet it's not a watch that I typically can wear and forget about.

I'm not surprised at all that there would be people who are disappointed in the 1680/1665 MBK's. I would question whether the people responding had received "brand new" watches, which in the case of the vintage Rolex's, make them unappealing in an unmodded state.

I've had both unmodded and totally modded 1680/1665's and they are worlds apart. The unmodded ones I would not feel comfortable wearing out publically (seriously), and the modded ones would require a Rolex expert to crack the case backs to be able to distinguish them from the real thing.

By-Tor, I bet you if you had a genuine white dial 1680 with "the works" it would bring you around on the idea of the vintage pieces. What I've learned with the vintage pieces is that the dial makes ALL the difference. Combine it with a genuine bracelet and insert/crown/tube/crystal and it really does have the feel of the genuine.

I have a 1665 with the same specs as my 1680, the only difference being that the SD has what I perceive to be the best available "aftermarket" dial. It is damn good....much better than the MBK dials (even when modified properly like Palp did with yours), and still it bugs me.

My biggest disappointment would probably have to be the MBK modern sub. Not because it wasn't well finished, etc... but I can honestly say that if it weren't for the vintage 1:1 pieces, I wouldn't have a single Rolex rep in my collection. In fact, I wouldn't wear a lot of the semi-modded ones...but the fully modded ones are something different.

That's what makes me curious about the ceramic GMT II. I haven't been following the response to that, so maybe I'll have to take a look. I already have a "first generation" ceramic HBB, though, and at the new prices, I think they're actually a solid deal- I'd have a hard time imagining someone receive that watch and not being impressed.

Oh yes...so accurate from what I can tell from pics and reading. Like I said, just because I couldn't justify the gen at that price doesn't mean it isn't an amazing watch for a few hundred. Yours growing on you yet BT?

I agree about 45mm UPO. Great rep... just too big watch.

GMT IIc is extremely accurate. As a watch it can never match the classic versions of the GMT Master (1675 and 16710). But all Rolex fans should own this rep because it's so damn nicely done.

5.jpg

I have a TW best Sub, MBW LV and pepsi GMT with a 2893 movement all modded by Bk and they are just wonderful pieces. I also have a MBW Single Red 1680 and GWSD 1665 still unmodded and they are BOTH great pieces and will be even better once modded. I will soon have back my SSD and 2008 Z series MBW fully modded by Bk. I can say with all honesty that I love each of these watches and wear them as often as possible. My biggest disappointments?......Graham diver....just too big even though so nicely made. FM Conquistador......the very rough end link sides...unfinished for some odd reason turned me off from the day I received it. Cartier Roadster...latest and best version.....again little flaws here and there and an uninspiring dial make it rare for me to wear. Finally the Tag Aquaracer...although nicely made it just does not do it for me at all.

I couldn't justify the gen at that price doesn't mean it isn't an amazing watch for a few hundred. Yours growing on you yet BT?

Yes and no. It's definitely not a watch that I could ever consider as a gen. Old 16710 GMT, Sub, ExpII and the classic SeaDweller all belong to the classic category, but this new GMTIIc lacks something... can't really explain what it is.

But as a $300 rep it's a great buy and a welcome addition. I really like wearing it.

Surprisingly, the only watch that left me a little disappointed was the Breitling SFSO. Not that it isn't one of the best reps out there, its just that it did nothing for me when I put it on my wrist. I like it better on rubber or leather, but it has been relegated to being my "water" watch, and I hardly ever wear it.

I feel exactly the same about mine. Black leather was the best look but still...I don't think it will ever be a favourite now and this really annoys me.

The thing is it is a very nice watch and my "best" replica from a technical point of view. I so much want to love it but just can't enjoy it like my supposedly far "inferior" Speedmaster.

I know I should just let it go but it's such a good rep that I can't bring myself to do this.

I have a VC retrograde calendar, and got that to see if it was what I would like to get as a gen. It gets very little wrist time, I think for two reasons - I am just into bigger watches, and I think I am just more into the tool watches, it looks great in pictures, and it does look real classy in person, but just didn't end up being me. That and the rollies, they just don't have any presence for me.

A Chopard black GTXL non chrono. Looked nice but grew tired of it very fast for some reason.

Conversely one of my favorites is the Omega SMP ... its a very simple watch but it has presence!

The way it looks, feels & sits on my wrist - not to OTT & not to understated either.

For me it was a budget Panerai that I bought from Narikaa, nothig wrong with the watch as such but it just felt uncomfortable, I even replaced the cheap strap with a bracelet from Silix but it didn't really help.

My first and last venture into the world of Panerai but you have to try these things.

Panerai_1.jpg

GMT 1675 -

don't kill me ;) the tiny crown - the feeling - don't know - 2 weeks and it was gone :)

(and is now 1000s of Euros more expensive grrrrr )

on Reps :

PO 45mm, Skyland, Fiddy - i tried hard - but they are just too big and heavy ...

IWC GST : too small and light ;)

GMT Master "Retro" - the most horrible Rep i owned - too many flaws.

cheers,

Frank

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have to admit that my largest disappointment was the RWG watch

a homage to RWG and the OMEGA Railmaster (also known as the Granmaster)

A pretty good project at the start that went terribly wrong when BLADE took over the project

I got two different versions...the first Limitcd cdition (yes the Chinese used c instead of e on this prototype):bangin:

and the version that BLADE ordered that came in a nice wooden box but BLADE diseapeeared alegedly to jail for having avoided the draft in jugoslavia/serbia (at least it arrived to some of the people that ordered it):animal_rooster:

I give you the prototype and one of a kind:

268669-4110.jpg

While it is not my biggest watch disappointment, that honor still goes to the VCO, I am very disappointed by how I have been unable to bond with the 1655 :bangin:

DSCN2758.jpg

Busy/cramped dial markers and lack of a timing bezel mean the watch just lacks features I find essential requirements. Sure, it looks nice, I don't feel the need to rip it off the second I put it on, as I did with the VCO, but I guess it's just 'not me' :pardon::wounded1:

I could add the GMT IIc on my list.

What's wrong with this watch then? Absolutely nothing... it's just plain BORING. It does nothing for me, although I'm a huge Rolex fan (as you know). I tried the gen on and besides the MUCH nicer (browner and shinier) bezel it was nothing special, either.

The replication is nice, the watch isn't. Just imho. Traded this to Ebel BTR. Best deal I ever made.

1a.jpg

Funny BT, thought the same way when I got the GMT-IIc and then after flipping it I missed it and grew to really love the design dry.gif so I got another thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

My biggest disappointment would have to be the MBW AP Royal Oak I really hoped it would it would sing to me as it is such a god replication but I just couldn't get the bracelet adjusted so it would fit comfortably. Love the design and think on leather it would be a keeper.

Noobmariner, When it showed up my only other rep was a Tag Heuer Link Chrono "Super-rep". A I had never held a gen submariner, I was expecting a weighty quality feel to the watch. The Bracelet let me down the most, and bezel just looks cheap.

Ah well, cheap rep cheap feel I guess eh?

Noobmariner, When it showed up my only other rep was a Tag Heuer Link Chrono "Super-rep". A I had never held a gen submariner, I was expecting a weighty quality feel to the watch. The Bracelet let me down the most, and bezel just looks cheap.

Ah well, cheap rep cheap feel I guess eh?

Quite the reverse... The gen Submariner feels like a cheap watch when put on the wrist. First time I tried one on, I was totally underwhelmed. I wouldn't go so far as to say I was disgusted, but I definitely thought the watch felt like a rip off for that price. That's what sparked my hunt for reps...

It wasn't until someone pointed out that the Submariner was never originally built or intended as a 'luxury watch', that my opinion changed towards it. THink of a Submariner and bracelet like a stripped down race car: Lean, practical, functional, 'Does what it says on the tin'. While the bracelets are comfortable, in car terms, it would be built for speed, not comfort... Once I understood and appreciated that fact, my opinion towards the classic Rolex range improved considerably :)

Interesting Take TJ, (Kinda Like buying the stripped out stock car instead of the Maybach) I can see what your getting at. The watch still looks the business on the wrist, its only when you take it off. I did some oiling/waxing on the bracelet which made it much nicer than when I first received it.

still the bezel looks a little, for lack of a better word (or word that actually exists) Plasticky....

Im sure there are some horror stories out there, C'mon guys!

Edited by OzTag

Interesting Take TJ, (Kinda Like buying the stripped out stock car instead of the Maybach) I can see what your getting at. The watch still looks the business on the wrist, its only when you take it off. I did some oiling/waxing on the bracelet which made it much nicer than when I first received it.

still the bezel looks a little, for lack of a better word (or word that actually exists) Plasticky....

Im sure there are some horror stories out there, C'mon guys!

I think once your mental perception of the watch changes from 'luxury brand', to 'functional tool', it is a much more impressive watch :) Something which I think helps with that as well, is to 'back-track' a few decades, and go for the 1680 Submariner, as opposed to the contemporary. Regardless of if they've been aged or not, the 1680 definitely has that 'tool watch' look to it, where the contemporary Sub, with the white-gold surrounds for the lume markers, is definitely a move more into the 'prestige' range (but the bracelet is the same as when the watch was a tool, hence why it can be a letdown on first experience) Oiling or waxing the bracelet makes a huge difference in feel, and indeed, bracelets are much nicer once that's been done :)

I know what you mean about the insert, but I think that's just part of the course, unless you want to start modifying and upgrading parts... (which is where the real fun begins :victory: )

• 1 year later...