When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Paul Newman dies at 83

dadog13

msnbc report

Is a sad day for Paul Newman fans everywhere. I am watching one of my favorite Newman movies today, Slap Shot.

In remberance, list your favorite newman movie, and if you have it, watch it...

That's a real shame. Given his age and eras, he must've seen some incredible changes in the world during his life. RIP, Sir.

I will remember him for being instrumental in helping keep ChampCar alive for so many years and refusing to allow Carl Haas to move the team, he had partial ownership of, to the inferior product of IRL (Indy Racing League) to help fuel Tony George's greed (interestingly as he was battling lung cancer the ChampCar battle ended....related??).

I meet him and saw him a few times over the years at a number of the races I have attended (Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, Laguna Seca, etc). He always wore the same white sweatshirt, wrangler jeans and outdated sunglasses (and a 6263 Rolex with the crown unwound). He genuinely was not a human being that was full of himself (which could have been easy given his background) and at the races was interested in only the race. If you wanted to talk to him discuss racing not acting!!

I will miss him as a racer. I imagine he is in heaven driving the Sharp Datsun looking for an opening, any opening, from the driver in front of him!! Drive on Mr. Newman!!

TimeShare

Edited by TmeShare

:(

I was genuinely sad when I heard this on the radio... and that's saying someting for someone as unfeeling as me....

I haven't seen lots of his movies.. but I loved The Sting and Color of Money. I'd been meaning to borrow The Hustler from a friend too.

RIP :(

An american Icon... some of my fav memories have been of Paul Newman Movies ..... there are some actors that have great carriers,.. and then there are those who leave lasting impressions with their roles ... "The Sting" will alway's stay alive in my minds eye.....

to accomplish so much in one lifetime... and to be forever remembered through a timepiece named after him... racing team .. his undying work with children less fortunate... he lived by actions.. as well as "acting" .. healthy foods have his label... what an inspiration ... he was a giver in many way's .. as the "old school" movie stars slowly pass.. his accomplishments will live forever.. but his physical being will be sorely missed..

aleqm5ioc0vxzljueuxnkobud6.jpg

From Times OnlineSeptember 27, 2008

Superstar Paul Newman dies of cancer aged 83

Times Online and news agencies

Hollywood legend Paul Newman has lost his battle against cancer. He died on Friday aged 83.

Jeff Sanderson , his publicist, said the star, who was nominated for Academy Awards 10 times and won an Oscar in 1987 for his role in The Colour of Money, died after a long battle with cancer at his farmhouse near Westport, Connecticut. He was surrounded by his family and close friends.

Newman appeared in some 60 movies, including Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, The Hustler, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and The Sting. Famed for his philanthropy as well as his acting, Newman was married to Oscar-winning actress Joanne Woodward for more than 50 years, and had successful side careers as a racing driver and creator of a line of food products, Newman

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance kid was, and is one of my all time great movies.

butchcassidyandthesundade3.jpg

Cassidy & Sundance had some memorable quotes:

Butch Cassidy: Is that what you call giving cover?

Sundance Kid: Is that what you call running? If I knew you were going to stroll...

Butch Cassidy: How many are following us?

Sundance Kid: All of 'em.

Butch Cassidy: All of 'em?

Newman, (aka Cassidy)

Butch Cassidy: I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals

Butch Cassidy: If he'd just pay me what he's spending to make me stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Butch Cassidy: You know, it could be worse. You get a lot more for your money in Bolivia, I checked on it.

Butch Cassidy: You know, when I was a kid, I always thought I'd grow up to be a hero.

(moved from the "watch" thread}

Does anyone remember him in "Cool Hand Luke"....probably my fave flick of all time.

The opening scene, where he has drunkenly gone down a street with a pipe cutter, systematically "decapitating" parking meters...Classic!

And both the egg eating scene, and the jailers statement, "What we got here, is.... failure to communicate"

That was a movie of my late teen/early 20's years, and he and Steve Mc Queen epitomised the hero status given to the "racing" silver screen legends they were.

If anyone has not ever seen "Cool Hand Luke", get yourself a copy , or a renter, and watch it a couple or 3 times.

I remember going to the "drive in" at least 3 or 4 times, (with various current girlfriend/s) to watch this all time classic.

It is soooo 1960's, the times, the thinking....but above all else, it showcases the amazing abilities of a great actor.

RIP Paul Newman.

Offshore