When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Let's see your GMT's and Explorers!

By-Tor

Thanks Freddy, same goes for your 6542. A way more difficult model to rep, a great effort as usual. How's the movement build going? i see the Ofrei one on Ebay got no takers in the end....

With the economy the way it is, Groucho's admonition that 'you can shake suckers out of your sleeves' may not be so accurate after all. But that ebay seller might have sold the movement off-line, which may have been the case since he did not relist it again for a lower price.

My movement build was going full guns (I have already collected 12 out of the 14 items I need for the 1030-to-1036gmt conversion) until I ran into a major snag -- I realized that the main plate is missing a (threaded) screw hole & channeling for the calendar yoke screw & spring. So, although a number of different movements are based on the standard 1030, some of them (like the 1 intended for the 6542) may have their plates modified during assembly. I am waiting to hear back from a contact that Stilty gave me to see if it is possible to machine the plate for a reasonable fee. If not, I will have to acquire yet another expensive movement & either sell this 1 or be forced to build a 6536 (which uses the standard 1030).

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of the best things about your pics is there is always something of interest in the background. Do you live somewhere in the map area or is it just something to do with the watch or a vacation spot or family member or something? I don't know why but I always thought you lived in NYC. I remember seeing your mug somewhere on here once when we were all trading them. You kind of have some George Carlin resemblance to me so maybe that is why I associated you with NYC being that is where he is from...

CHSs all

stlouis-gmt0111.jpg

One of the best things about your pics is there is always something of interest in the background. Do you live somewhere in the map area or is it just something to do with the watch or a vacation spot or family member or something? I don't know why but I always thought you lived in NYC. I remember seeing your mug somewhere on here once when we were all trading them. You kind of have some George Carlin resemblance to me so maybe that is why I associated you with NYC being that is where he is from...

Thanks, but you can chalk the map location up to chance. As for my (modded) mug, you may have seen it hanging in a museum piece

hangtime10241.jpg

Yeah, that was the one. Very creative. I'm sure I'm not the first guy to draw the Carlin line. And I'm sure you are glad you don't live in Memphis...

Actually, you are the 1st to make the Carlin comparison, but I am not sure I get the Memphis reference? Did the Memphis sheriff do a Lebowski on Carlin or something?

Can you elaborate on your watch. what did you use as a base if you do not mind me asking. I love GMTs I have the GMTIIc but yours is something else.

The journey begins here & continues here.

Nah. I just meant that from what I hear, Memphis (other than the contribution of Elvis) isn't exactly the crown jewel of TN...

What state do you live in BTW?

Actually, you are the 1st to make the Carlin comparison, but I am not sure I get the Memphis reference? Did the Memphis sheriff do a Lebowski on Carlin or something?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

What beautiful pics you guys take.

Where are you getting these Explorer II's and GMT's from? They look like Gens in many pics. Its crazy how good they look !!!!

These're the GMTs I've owned (and killed :lol: ) :) There's definitely something special about the GMT :)

123.jpg

DSCN1204.jpg

Will I repair or replace them? I don't know... The first is definitely a project which I plan on re-building (existing parts remaining in pieces) but the second, too much work for very little payback (in terms of watch durability), not to mention the redundancy of having two GMTs, with the only major difference being the color of the inserts :D

I would say to anyone, if you're going to buy a Rolex, buy a GMT Master II: It looks pretty much like a Submariner, but has that extra function of the 2nd timezone :good:

I don't think I've seen it before, but that is one awesome shot, it's 100% catalogue-worthy :good:

Thanks mate. :)

@b16a2: Try to source yours without the engraving too. Not sure if it's possible though. And do not get the white version. Black is as accurate as it gets... rep white dial is bad bad bad.

Sweet :good: Is it the white or black dial?

It's the black :)

@b16a2: Try to source yours without the engraving too. Not sure if it's possible though. And do not get the white version. Black is as accurate as it gets... rep white dial is bad bad bad.

I managed to get one from another member. It's from Bk originally and is without the engravings. It has had the datewheel inlay glued in, and everything checked etc...so it should be as good as I can get it without going gen hopefully.

I may try and source a thinner crown, do the genuine ones crop up for sale now and again on other boards, or can they be bought from a retailer directly?

Any time :) I've said it before, and I'll say it again, your photos make watches look so good, that when I look at them in an AD, they disappoint me :lol:

It's the black :)

Awesome, the black is a real 'sleeper' of a watch :)