When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gutted at AD: Gen purchase went pear-shaped

cornerstone

I'm crestfallen after a great deal on a gen went pear-shaped.

I was out shopping for the wife's birthday and, you know, got kind of bored and decided to look at watches.

In an AD window they had a sale on with big red prices on some choice watches, which is a little unusual.

Anyway I picked out an Oris Titanium Diver, tried it on, it looked great and said I'll buy it. So far so good.

At which point they said "oh, that's not the right price on it." Basically they refused to sell it at the sale price in their window. :cry2:

I was pretty disappointed, mentally I already owned the watch. But I guess it's theirs to sell - I just wish they'd not screwed me around. :(

On a bit more of a conversational note - it was interesting to see how many watches had noticeable scratches and imperfections that could be seen upon handling them. Generally I'm fairly relaxed about that kind of thing, but if they had been drop-shipped from GZ I can imagine a lot of them being sent back as flawed. (The point being - these are gens in an AD).

I believe those with scratches and imperfections are display watches. These ae mostly not foe sale. They are meant to be handled by customers. If you want one, they get a brand new one for you! At least thats how it is in my case.

Having said that, these display watches are also often sold at a much higher discounts.

I may be mistaken, but in the US isn't there some consumer rights law that state that a retailer must sell an item for the price that's visibly stated? Or something to that effect? If you're in the US you might want to send a complaint to BBB or some consumer affairs organization about this particular AD. It seems they just pulled an old "bait n switch" on you.

I may be mistaken, but in the US isn't there some consumer rights law that state that a retailer must sell an item for the price that's visibly stated? Or something to that effect? If you're in the US you might want to send a complaint to BBB or some consumer affairs organization about this particular AD. It seems they just pulled an old "bait n switch" on you.

I think so, yes. It's basically a scam to do that, and it is against the law as far as I know.

It was either a bait n' switch or it was a screw up by them. Either way, I didn't see a scenario where I ended up with the watch on my wrist - they didn't want to sell it. They offered a new higher price, but it was like starting at square one - I know you can get 30% off an Oris without even asking for it, and I've seen up to 55% off at ADs reading the forums. I was annoyed by the sales BS - 'it's below my cost' is what they said for the new offer, yeah sure buddy.

It was disappointing more than anything - in my head I was already thinking of ways when I could use my watch when a kilometer underwater. :p

As others have stated they would have been legally bound to sell at the advertised price, however I'm sure they would deny that price was ever on it.

This is of course why they invented phones with camera's B)

Ken

Sorry to hear this & I know the feeling. I agree that it is probably worth a return trip to see if they correct the pricetag. If not, then you can either threaten them or give them your card & politely request that they phone you if they want to sell the watch. With the economy the way it is, you may very well get the call.

In the USA here, there have been lawsuits over false advertisement and, in 99.9% of the cases, the consumer wins. You should of raised holy hell.

-H

Unless they can prove it's really a screwup. My houseflipping brother in law once had a sign out in front of a house that said "Owner financed. 0% interest" instead of the intended "Owner Financed 0% Down" One of the people who came by to look at the house actually sued him and it went to court! His lawyer said he likely would have lost but for the fact that the the guy who made the sign saved my brother-in-law's handwritten instructions and his employee who picked up and placed the sign needed an interpreter in court.

These rep boards are always an interesting way of hearing about US law! It was only a few weeks ago that there was a big discussion on the felony murder rule on RG.

This consumer law sounds interesting. Over here in Blighty, in general an advertised price is only an invitation to treat, and therefore the shop owner isn't bound by any advertised price. It is the consumer who ultimately makes the offer, and therefore the shop who accepts or refuses such an offer.

Indeed, as b16a2 said, here in the UK, consumers actually have much less rights in such matters. In some shops, they will honor mis-labeled goods as a goodwill gesture, but they are not actually legally obliged to do so. This is where being a retail worker can be a real kick in the nuts, (as well as a billion other reasons :D ) as customers think they have all these rights, like a shop having to honor an incorrect price label, and if it isn't honored, they'll "take you to Trading Standards !!!" ( :rolleyes: ) I guess it's not their fault, as 'customer service' and 'good will' tends to go against actual trading standards guidelines, so as customers, folks can be used to getting their own way, when legally speaking, the business did not actually have to agree to their demands, but it is damned irritating to be on the other side of the counter, knowing that legally speaking, you are in the right, and the law is on your side, but the customer thinks they're in the right, and just won't be told... :rolleyes: Be kind to retail workers, it might not be the most challenging of jobs, but it can, in it's own way, be difficult and unpleasant in a way many professional jobs rarely, if ever, are. I once saw a McTrainee being threatened with a beating by building contractors, simply because he couldn't take their order, because it was his first day, and he hadn't been trained yet, and just happened to be standing near a till :o (Never saw him working there again, the poor bugger...)

That's right - nothing I can do to get the watch on my wrist. It's theirs to sell.

In the worst case scenario they could get a ticking off from the local Trading Standards equivalent for misleading or deceptive advertising, but that doesn't put a watch on my wrist and I have better things to do with my time.

It's more about PR for the store. Women natter and swap tales. Already they've created a Facebook petition fatwa (kidding :animal_rooster: ).

As I said, I'm just disappointed - it would have been a sweet watch. I'll just have to get my Sellita jollies elsewhere :p

In Canada there is a law that stores are obligated to sell for the price as displayed. A friend of a friend in Alberta picked up a new Audi (the big one) for something really ridiculous like $24,000 (retail is about that 4x over) because the employee was new and mixed up the prices on the windshield of the car. He was a lawyer, though. To the defense of the salesman, all Audis look the same to me anyway.

I've had a couple of run-ins where this has happened and usually it takes a little arguing but if you stand your ground you'll get out with a great deal.

Indeed, as b16a2 said, here in the UK, consumers actually have much less rights in such matters. In some shops, they will honor mis-labeled goods as a goodwill gesture, but they are not actually legally obliged to do so. This is where being a retail worker can be a real kick in the nuts, (as well as a billion other reasons :D ) as customers think they have all these rights, like a shop having to honor an incorrect price label, and if it isn't honored, they'll "take you to Trading Standards !!!" ( :rolleyes: ) I guess it's not their fault, as 'customer service' and 'good will' tends to go against actual trading standards guidelines, so as customers, folks can be used to getting their own way, when legally speaking, the business did not actually have to agree to their demands, but it is damned irritating to be on the other side of the counter, knowing that legally speaking, you are in the right, and the law is on your side, but the customer thinks they're in the right, and just won't be told... :rolleyes: Be kind to retail workers, it might not be the most challenging of jobs, but it can, in it's own way, be difficult and unpleasant in a way many professional jobs rarely, if ever, are. I once saw a McTrainee being threatened with a beating by building contractors, simply because he couldn't take their order, because it was his first day, and he hadn't been trained yet, and just happened to be standing near a till :o (Never saw him working there again, the poor bugger...)

Agree with 100%. Honest mistakes do happen. Do on to others .... imagine if you were trying to sell your house & you made typo on the price & the potential buyer tried to ram it down your throat! Society is way too letigious this days!

As other posters pointed out correctly ... a price in the shopping window is an "invitation to treat" & subject to the acceptance of the seller at the cash register. I don't think this is bait & switch if they did not try to sell you something else or forced you to buy something else. That being said, I can undertsand how the OP felt bummed out!

For internet sales it would be different as in some cases the automated payment systen had already accepted/processed your payment. This happen with Dell when they mispriced some items. They honored the sale out of goodwill/PR but in reality the buyers had a binding contract.