When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bling Wrong

freddy333

Although the 116520 Daytona has been my 2nd favorite watch for many years (the 1st being the Lange 1 Pt) & the rep I waited longer than any other to acquire (not counting the time, effort & money spent on improving the stock rep), I find that, increasingly, it seems to be getting the least wrist time of all of my Rolex watches

pinkjeans0091.jpg

And, for the past few weeks, I have been confounded as to why this is? Why is it that, even though I love it, 1 of my most coveted pieces of timekeeping jewelry is getting the least use? :g:

But, today, I saw the light & the answer became immediately obvious after seeing this young guy in a restaurant with his sleeves rolled up in an obvious (to me) effort to show off his lovely (probably gen) 116520 white dialed Daytona. The poor fellow, no doubt thinking himself quite grand for having such good taste & the ability to acquire a relatively rare & highly sought after Rolex watch, looked absolutely silly, sitting there with this polished steel beacon of obviousness & over consumption braceletted to his Armani-bedecked torso while sipping Won Ton soup with an equally overdecorated spoon.

With 1 glimpse, it suddenly dawned on me what the problem is - the BLING.

More & more, I am finding myself drawn towards the brushed understatement of classically sized, gentlemans' tool watches & away from the larger, polished obviousness of modern bling........even when the bling is limited to center pieces of links or the always-smudgy reflection of a sapphire crystal on my favorite watch brand.

Now, normally, I tend to wear watches beneath my shirt cuff (unless I am wearing a t-shirt), so they are rarely seen anyway. But there have been a couple of occasions when I have actually felt embarrassed that someone might spot my 116520. 1 time I was so uncomfortable that I felt compelled to pull my shirt cuff down over my watch to completely hide it from view even though the environment was entirely appropriate & others were wearing timepieces of similar luster & quality. How crazy is that?

This does not mean that I am ready to start selling off every bit of polished metal in my collection (sorry guys), but it does mark a definite change in the way I now view & wear watches. Maybe I am just getting old.......... :unsure:

I couldn't agree with you more Freddy333. In FACT, pull the three most "blingy" watches from your collection and send them to me immediately for "identity re-assignment".

(Sincerely though, I've always really liked the understated look of a Movado or other "classic" watch. I guess it just depends on who you're wearing the watch for. Yourself? or those around you.)

I can totally relate.

I live in a wealthy side of town in a major metro area. I see exactly what you describe with the "Trust-Fund" kids and possibly young movers and shakers, but mostly the former.

As a long time Breitling Navi fan, I feel the same way with the "Bently" versions.

I have become a big fan of the older classic designs. A SUB, Explorer, or older Navi looks just as good on a super formal occasion as it does playing Golf or casually running errands.

-Ronin

Have you considered brushing the midlinks? Or putting it on leather? I know it's somewhat sacrilegious but I had my TT Daytona on a brown leather strap with white stitching and it really made the watch look a bit more understated...

Yes, I did try that (strap), but it just looks weird in a different way. I have seen others who have brushed their center links, but I do not like to modify the OEM appearance of a Rolex. To me, it is sacrilegious.

This is exactly why I do not wear my GEN Super Ocean Chrono with the shiny bracelet.

I was in a sales meeting the other day and I can see my customer's eyes trying to see what kind of watch I was wearing under my shirt cuff.

I purchased this watch 6 months ago and now selling because it attracts to much attention.

I wear only brush steal or leather straps now.

I don't think bling is wrong freddy....

I can understand about the situation you described, but i think it is HOW you wear your watch.

I am confident that you can wear a daytona in jeans and a t shirt, but your attitude and demeanor will always influence how other people see you regardless of what you are wearing (including a watch)

You seem to have the appreciation of these things more so than MANY others, so I feel confident as well that you would not look like you are trying to show off the watch.

The attitude of the person in the situation you described may appear just as that...TRYING to show off.

But, if your attitude shows you are NOT trying to show off, I think you can pull it off just fine and no one would be bothered.

Personally, I like the idea of wearing a bling watch (such as a daytona) with a suit or at least with long sleeves.

When it's time for short sleeves, I feel a tool watch compliments the style much better.

But, we all have our own fashion sense and that's what helps make us unique in our admiration of style and our display in taste.

Edited by cht

I have seen others who have brushed their center links, but I do not like to modify the OEM appearance of a Rolex. To me, it is sacrilegious.

Brushing the bracelet is a great idea, it will solve your worries. Sacrilegious to brush the center links? What about wearing a rep? Your allready going to hell mate, might as well enjoy it ;)

But...but...but... I always roll up my sleeves while in casual wear. When it's 30-40 c here in the summer, I usually end up rolling up my sleeves...

And when I eat I usually roll up my sleeves too, mainly since to avoid getting food all over my sleeves.

Although you do have a point about people thinking I am just showing off.

Perhaps I should just stick to my RQLEX DAY TONER instead...

I understand completely. It was the 'bling factor' of the polished midlinks of the GMTIIC which I did not like. Indeed, when I begin my project, if I can get the case to accept one of my other bracelets, even though that model bracelet might be wrong for that model watch, I'll be swapping them without a moment's hesitation. I can't stand bling or ostentation. It's as you say, I want a gentleman's tool watch, not some R&B bling bling :lol:

While I see your point I somehow doubt that you, even with your sleeves up, put off the same image. I think it goes back to how you carry yourself and if you can pull it off. I see a lot of guys that have expensive polished watches that don't even seem to know it's there. Then you have the guys that look to 'need' the watch as a indication of wealth or status. How many old guys have you seen with a polished YG DD that somehow pull it off? I bet you don't come off as blingy at all.

One quick question: Do you think it is just the finish that is bothering you or do you think it is a combo of that and that it's a Rolex? I wonder if a nice polished unknown brand would strike you the same way. I felt something similiar with my first nice watch, a TT black sub. I loved that watch but just felt odd wearing it.

Totally agree ...

But things can get "worse" : The new sub, in SS, may have the same bracelet as GMTII. Well, not the same but with polished midlinks.. that will kill that beautiful tool watch.. And what has been left for a buyer of a classic sport tool rlx watch?? Seadweller? ... u know the story

Totally agree ...

But things can get "worse" : The new sub, in SS, may have the same bracelet as GMTII. Well, not the same but with polished midlinks.. that will kill that beautiful tool watch.. And what has been left for a buyer of a classic sport tool rlx watch?? Seadweller? ... u know the story

I haven't seen the new sub in black with the polished bracelet, but I have seen the pale blue version, and that has the polished bracelet. I think anyone wearing one would look like a ponce*... :D

For anyone unfamiliar with this rather British expression: Ponce

I call them Cuff Shooters.

Stretch your arm and they shoot out from under your cuff and BAM! A Daytona! :o

They draw too much attention for a guy who sometimes hangs around shady characters. B)

Over the years I have owned four new steel Zenith Daytonas (1992/1998) and last...a slightly used tutone ZD (1999) and can truly say...I never wore one out of the house. I sold them all to gray market dealers or people who like that sort of thing.

I passed on a couple rolex movement Daytonas that came my way since then.

Truth is...the thought of all that stuff in the movement that sooner or later breaks and/or needs service is enough to scare me off.

Fast forward eight or nine years:

A few months ago, I bought a replica Daytona with a DG/CH movement of some sort with day/date subdials, a constantly running center second (timer) hand, and another running second hand at 6. I took it apart and froze the day/date hands and removed a few teeth from the sweep second pinion (for the center sweep timer hand) and glued it in place to freeze the hand. (it has offset center second hand drive)

Now it looks just like a brand new Daytona with the second hand running at 6...for $100!

I still do not like them. <_<

Do you think it is just the finish that is bothering you or do you think it is a combo of that and that it's a Rolex? I wonder if a nice polished unknown brand would strike you the same way. I felt something similiar with my first nice watch, a TT black sub. I loved that watch but just felt odd wearing it.

The problem is the shiny finish, not the name. I wear a Rolex of some sort almost every day & the only watches that ever cause discomfort are those with polished bracelets.

Sorry to be slow on the uptake of this thread but - here, here! The understated watch is so much more classy. Less is more. I have no moderns and don't think I will ever get one (never say never). Same is true with cars, I mean look at a Bugatti Veyron compared to a Series 1 E - type Jaguar. The Veyron is a joke and the Jag exudes class.

Sorry to be slow on the uptake of this thread but - here, here! The understated watch is so much more classy. Less is more. I have no moderns and don't think I will ever get one (never say never). Same is true with cars, I mean look at a Bugatti Veyron compared to a Series 1 E - type Jaguar. The Veyron is a joke and the Jag exudes class.

I am in total agreement with you.

Less is more rings true for so many more things than just watches, just like the example of the cars mentioned.

Whether it's the flavor of a fine wine, or the rests in between the notes of a Miles Davis solo, I am in admiration of understated elegance.

:lol:

Polished steel is bling!

:lol:

You guys are way too conservative.

+1

SS isn't bling, IMO. Diamonds, all gold, etc, are bling. You can't be more conservative than wearing an all steel watch (well, maybe plastic?). Whether you like it polished or brushed is a personal thing, but a shine does not a bling make!

I think the Daytona is one of the best 'all around' watches you can own and nowhere near 'bling' territory.

Lemme know if you want to part with that Daytona, Freddy! I'll keep it "real" and flaunt it with my homies every chance I get! lol