When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why servicing - correct - servicing is so important...

RWG Technical

I think the reason that Nanuq doesn't want to out the previous shop is that it's more than likely a genuine AD shop somewhere...and probably no one here would be sending their watch to them anyway...that's only a guess - Bob only knows.

And of course I am never happy to receive crappy work in the shop, in fact I try and avoid it at all costs...but with most gen's, especially high end models, you would expect better quality.

@ automatico

Thanks for the insight and possible repair's. It's only slightly worn and I tend to see this type of wear on the bridge on almost every old rollie in the shop, I prefer to leave it as is since the bushing won't wear anymore now that it's clean and oiled.

RG

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, RG is correct... it was a Rolex AD that did the last service. Yes, you read that right.

This is exactly why I send my watches to the Maestro down south.

(Note, only I get to call him that! Look at a globe..........)

Wow AD service isnt all its cracked up to be hey? I am sooooooo jelous of your dial.. i have the same dial in my 1680 franken but with the orig tritium.. i think i might have to make an appointment with The Zigmeister to get this done. It looks fantastic!!! Good work!!

dizz

Ziggy... Remember how nasty my Gigandet looked when you tore it down? It was last serviced at the same AD.

:g:

Understood, good place to avoid at all costs.

My guess is that they did a swish and lube and only took apart the easy stuff, mainspring wasn't touched and they simply washed the complete autowinder and never lubricated it, going train was oiled, but the balance was left alone...

Very sad to see a AD do such shoddy work and charge like hell for it. Wonder how Rolex would feel knowing that thier rep is doing crap.

RG

Very sad to see a AD do such shoddy work and charge like hell for it. Wonder how Rolex would feel knowing that thier rep is doing crap.

I'm assuming this is not the case...but you know the old saying about never "ASS-u-me"...but for a place to be a Rolex Authorized DEALER, do they have to follow certain standard and protocols for receiving and working on watches to maintain that "Authorized" status, or is there a separate "Authorized SERVICE Centre" status? I know there are watchmakers who may or may not be Rolex trained and/or certified...but that doesn't seem to have any requirement on whether or not a place would be authorized to SELL Rolex products.

Here in TO...almost all the ADs that sell Rolex don't work on them even though they have their own repair shops...they just send it directly to Rolex itself...not an authorized service centre...but directly to Rolex.

My Rolex AD tried to bullsh*t me as well. When I purchased my preowned 16710, I took it to a local AD to a quick check. The young service guy (who looked more like a used cars salesman) claimed that my 16710 has "wrong oils" installed and wanted to take it in and charge 500€ for complete service. That sounded really weird to me and I asked Ziggy about it. He called out this crap and said that it's completely impossible for the naked eye to see what kind of oils have been installed.

The watch is +/- 1 seconds / 24h and has extremely long power reserve, runs smooth as silk. After this visit, I don't trust my Rolex AD at all. Friggin' bloodsuckers.

Some of the worst botch work I have seen came fom an AD of some sort or fancy high priced repair shop.

The guy who said "You get what you pay for" was not talking about watches. Soft serve ice cream maybe.

I knew a rolex AD who had a crooked repair guy and his "complete service" was to oil what he could get to, buff the case, and charge $350.

If the watch was gummed up and would not run when it came in, he would remove the autowind assembly and dial, oil what he could get to, clean and oil the balance jewels, and send it out the door...all for only $350 (plus parts marked up about 4x).

He had a sign claiming to be an "authorized rolex technician" but he could not get a mainspring back into a barrel in three days time.

They finally fired him for stealing parts and selling them to a repair shop down the street...the same parts he charged to customers during his "repairs".

I asked the AD why he did not fire him sooner (he knew about it for years). He said "Because he made us a lot of money".

This is not uncommon in the watch business.

To the best of my knowledge, at least here in Oz,all Rolex service from an AD is carried out by the Rolex Service Centre. (in Sydney.)

In fact some of the higher cost for a Rolex service, is attempted to be laid on the extra cost of freight and insurance.

It must rankle with those AD's who have their own service departments for other brands, to be forced to send work off.

Maybe this is an AD trying to retain a bit more profit? And isn't it a fact that Rolex now won't supply parts? Hence the need for service centres? I realise a base service could be carried out without too many parts needed, but one would think at the very least, an O ring would be replaced? And heaven forbid that an aftermarket, non genuine part was used :p

Doesn't for one moment excuse shoddy workmanship however....in fact what Zigg shows here is beyond shoddy, bordering on criminal.

Offshore

Haha.. witty. but... honestly...

when was the last time you used a wheelbarrel??

In the summer actually!! We chopped down an apple tree and had to move the piles of cut up logs to the front of the house.

As to the letter to Rolex...that would make sense. Can you imagine if they did the full "gen" Rolex treatment on your vintage piece and not only replaced your nicely aged hands and rare tritium dial with new SL ones...but also screwed up your movement? Yikes.

This AD is one of the most prominent jewelers in Seattle. I think it's time for a letter to Rolex.

Very definitely & now I understand Ziggy's hesitancy to 'out' the shop.

It seems that some things never change. I had a watchmaker relative who was Rolex trained & he used to fix alot of 'repairs' performed by ADs & other shops.

You should definitely gather the evidence & send it off to the RSC in New York. They used to compensate the customer for the inconvenience of having to have his watch repaired again. But, then, they also used to sell parts over-the-counter through ADs, so that may have changed.

Since reading posts by The Zigmeister and others, and learning more about watch movements in general, I now believe servicing the most liked reps is a must. A lot of us assume that the movements coming out of the factories are clean/serviced. It seems more logical to me to pay $80 for a service and ensure that the watch runs for another 5 years, than to "run it to the ground" or getting it serviced when the watch starts behaving erratically. You end up paying more in the when you do this... makes no sense..

p.s.

Where does it cost $80 for full servicing? Here in madrid, the cheapest I

...vintage Rolex servicing should be in the $240USD+ range.

...and that's if no parts need replacing. IF you can even find a replacement for a broken part, you can expect to pay an arm and Ken's left nut for it.

In 1986 I said no to a gen bezel for my 6536 at $250 without insert. Now you can't touch one for $1,250.

...and that's if no parts need replacing. IF you can even find a replacement for a broken part, you can expect to pay an arm and Ken's left nut for it.

In 1986 I said no to a gen bezel for my 6536 at $250 without insert. Now you can't touch one for $1,250.

Exactly. Vintage parts are brutal. I saw some 6542 perspex inserts no bezel going for $1200 in NY at auction.