When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do Any Of Your Friends Think You've Lost It?

deltatahoe

so i went to a wedding this weekend and decided to bring two PAMs -- my 111h on BOB coconut strap and my 183h on a watch boys black alligator strap with black stitching. the 111h was for the casual stuff, and the 183h was for the actual wedding (in my opinion the 183 looks fantastic with a suit).

after the wedding i had taken off my 183h and put in on the table next to the 111h and my buddy saw them both laying there and was like, of ALL the different watches you have (he is already in disbelief that i now own 8 different watches) you decided to bring two that are practically identical?

a little surprised, i quickly pointed out the 111h was more casual (with the big crown guard, calf strap, etc) and the 183h was clearly a dress watch (with the small crown, alligator strap, etc), but it was no use -- he looked and saw two big watches: one with a brown strap and one with a black strap.

i realize this is in a similar vein as many previous posts, but does anybody else have similar experiences? i'm guessing most of those here who are married probably get it from their wives all the time, but do many people here get crap from their friends / mates / compadres for being so addicted to watches?

dt

Some people collect particular types of cars, such as Mustangs. Someone else might collect pictures of Elvis. To the outsider, it seems strange. To the collector, each item has its own intrinsic value.

As long as you enjoy it and appreciate the differences, that's all that matters.

unfortunately ...yes.

So i sold my 183 and now have 127 and 111, no one see's different...so strange....

so i went to a wedding this weekend and decided to bring two PAMs -- my 111h on BOB coconut strap and my 183h on a watch boys black alligator strap with black stitching. the 111h was for the casual stuff, and the 183h was for the actual wedding (in my opinion the 183 looks fantastic with a suit).

after the wedding i had taken off my 183h and put in on the table next to the 111h and my buddy saw them both laying there and was like, of ALL the different watches you have (he is already in disbelief that i now own 8 different watches) you decided to bring two that are practically identical?

a little surprised, i quickly pointed out the 111h was more casual (with the big crown guard, calf strap, etc) and the 183h was clearly a dress watch (with the small crown, alligator strap, etc), but it was no use -- he looked and saw two big watches: one with a brown strap and one with a black strap.

i realize this is in a similar vein as many previous posts, but does anybody else have similar experiences? i'm guessing most of those here who are married probably get it from their wives all the time, but do many people here get crap from their friends / mates / compadres for being so addicted to watches?

dt

This is very common for me, I can't recall a single time ever when I told someone about my hobby and got a positive response. Of course, my wife thinks I'm crazy too. This is why the “get togethers” are such a cool thing. About a month or so ago a few of us rep freaks met in cleveland for a few drinks. There is really nothing as cool, unusual and strange (in a good way) as talking about watches with others that are as pathologically addicted as yourself. I highly recommend it.

True, but it's important to maintain the overall air of coolness while doing so.

A few years ago we were gathered for a beer after a long day of windsurfing and one of the guys had just got a TT blue Sub, we were tipping back a tall pint and he looked around the table and said a little too loudly... "Hey! We're all wearing Rolexes!"

We all wanted to fall through the floor. Sheesh.

O yes indeed.

I recall the cartoon by that world famous, if somewhat inscrutible, Farside caroonist where some very, very serious looking predatory cats (lions, or tigers, or something) were about to pounce upon a herd of something, as a similar cat, on two legs, with a loud tie and silly hat goes walking by - apparently whistling.

It was a hysterical testimopnial to the odd man out who is never going to fit in, I always thought that was hilarious, but a lot of people just didn't get it.

Gary Larson was brilliant.

Bill

Ok, this is me wibbling coming back from the pub after getting a skinfull.

Don't worry, I'm not about to do a Gran and delete all my posts, but ... where was I?

Yes, pub. Friend's leaving do. There I am, breaking in my Seiko non-rep, as one does, and the guy that's leaving mentions he heard I like watches and he says the kind of stuff he likes, like his missus bought him a Guess recently that's nice. I was polite as he likes it and to me that matters a lot.

Then he mentions he heard I have a lot of watches and I mention they're mostly reps and he goes on about watches he likes saying he wants a Breitling and that he heard I have GOOD reps. needless to say, a good discussion about watches ensued and he mentions a three letter company he'd never heard of that he saw nice ones of. I said "IWC?" and his eyes lit up.

The end of the conversation was a slightly over-eager "Send me photos" and we'll have another rephound in no time.

This on top of Mrs Pugwash commenting on how she's spotting watches and how it's the thing men get into when they hit thirty-something makes me think our hobby is normal.

Men hit a certain age, can't buy jewellery and discover watches. It's what we do. It's too common.

Four of my nephews are into watches these days because of my habit. And none of their mothers is upset. Of course, with young people these days, what's wrong with enjoying watches, compared to all of the other trouble they can get into!

I've hooked a few friends. Its not that hard if they are the kind of people that are into materials and mechanics.

Have you even noticed a lot of people into watches are also into knives and pens?

Oh yeah . . my wife thinks I'm a nut, but she appreciates a new watch *almost* as much as I do.

My wife is fine with watches - in fact she's quietly relieved...

It's the enormous replica Cherished Teddy® collection she's worried about:

96149-27298.jpg

:yu:

I'm sitting in a bar with four buddies and one guy calls out "Hey, look," pointing at the two hundred Cherished Teddies lined up on the bar, "we all have Cecilia: You Pull My Heartstrings!" That was, like, sooooo embarrasing. It's important to keep that overall air of coolness with Cherished Teddies. :animal_rooster::bleh:

EDIT: Up for trades with expensive ETA watches, naturally! :lol:;)

Edited by cornerstone

I actually have a friend at work who knows exactly what every watch I wear is. I met him in the airport a few months ago and he spots my new PO on the wrist 20 steps away and yells out - 'Hey, nice PO.

And yet, he has never bought a rep or a gen even though I have showed him the rep dealers sites. He just loves watches. Kind of nice knowing someone who appreciates all the different PAMs I have. He has a friend with a gen 40mm PAM. He likes my 44mm reps better.

Usil

i find it interesting how each of my friends & coworkers views my newfound addiction. it's an interesting insight into people's personalities, priorities, perceptions, etc. i've found i have the full spectrum of responses.

my friends and coworkers generally fit in the following categories:

i) intrigue and genuine interest/curiousity

ii) i want one, help me find one i like

iii) like to give me a hard time for having so many watches

iv) wow, that is an amazing rep, but i still will only buy a genuine

v) like to make fun of the fact that i would buy a replica watch and try to embarass me

some comments on personality types:

i & ii = generally my more reasonable, down to earth friends & coworkers

iii = ball busters. they like the watches, just like to point out that it's getting out of hand (which of course it is)

iv = just one of these -- he has wanted a panerai for a long time (my only friend that knew what a panerai was before i got my first one), i think he is still in shock at how good the PAM reps are. regardless, he wants to feel like he's really earned such a nice watch, and is willing to wait for it. plus, he wants a watch to pass on to his son, etc. got to respect that. i think my panerais will help him make an informed choice on a gen though, so that's good too.

v = only one of these so far too -- he is a coworker that has a genuine blue omega smp and i think got a little upset when he realized my $150 4th gen PO looks/feels just as legit as his genuine

just some other thoughts i thought people might identify with...

dt

dt

I got a similar response from a sales lady at a dealer (omega, ebel, breitling, etc.). I was wearing a black SS dive watch (Invicta sub clone) and I was looking at a black dial Omega Aqua Terra. She said "you'll probably want to look at the silver dial, this one looks like the one that you already have on". Sure, I see the similarities...black dial...hmmm. SS bracelet...you might have a point there if it wasn't for the bezel with the little numbers on it, the cyclops, hands, markers, Omega vs Invicta? (give me a break), and of course the co-axial escapement far beyond your ken.

I would expect that response from any number of my friends or the guy on the street, but she was selling the damn things. I almost went to the manager and said "keep her away from the watches and don't let her handle any of them until she gets some kind of appreciation for them".

Yes, we are freaks. I have to admit it. To most people a watch is a watch. With my friends and associates, I've learned to keep it very low profile and only talk about them if they are genuinely interested...pearls before swine and all that.