When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Radical method in fighting replications

valerian

As Baselworld is about to open top brands obviously start a media campagn against watch counterfeiting. :huh:

Hublot states it will protect its nwe models with a smart card! See here:

Hublot press release

"By leveraging this technology, online shopping and auction Websites have the ability to provide its users a safe, secure transaction, by controlling counterfeited goods in its product range." Hmmm. Interesting.

Thank god I don't like hublot watches! :p

How long will it take our Chinese cracks to replicate those smart cards?

Yours kindly

Valerian

Actually as I see it this will only prevent reps being sold as gen's.

How many gen owners are going to walk around carrying their smart cards?

More importantly how many rep owners are going to let anyone scan their watch to see if it's gen?

Ken

Very interesting figures really, they say these 40mil of rep watches cost the industry between 7 to 800mil

Ok so obviously the 20 bucks a watch that this works out to is flawed as they accept that there would not be 40mil buyers of gens if there was no reps.

So how many of those 40mil rep buyers do they expect to buy gens if they can clean up the trade?

Well based on their figures (and allowing an average of 10k a watch) less than 80 thousand actually. <_<

Ken

Ok so obviously the 20 bucks a watch that this works out to is flawed as they accept that there would not be 40mil buyers of gens if there was no reps.

That's a real Baselworld premiere if I'm informed correctly: Usually our top brands will pretend that the number of replica watches sold worldwide corresponds to the number not sold by the Gen industry. Which is obviously utter BS! :rolleyes:

@kenberg "Ok so obviously the 20 bucks a watch that this works out to is flawed as they accept that there would not be 40mil buyers of gens if there was no reps."

Hey! Where can I find these $20 watches, darn I could make a killing reselling them! I could put the Cartel and the rest of the Gang out of businees!

I used to think the Hublot counterfeit countermeasure was that they were ugly. I guess that one did not work.

:thumbsupsmileyanim::D

exactly as kenberg said this prevents reps being sold as gen's only.

I hope gen makers don't think watch rep'ping is at the same level as money counterfeiting. Smart card is more a marketing gimmick than anti-counterfeiting measure. You don't need a smart card to identify a fake. Come on. Let's hope they don't overdo these measures to make their watches ugly. Rolex's rehaut engraving is cutting it too close already. I still don't think the rep-buying community is gen's customers. Some of us graduate to gens or buy both gens and reps. Gens don't lost revenue to reps. Give me a break.

-bk

I give RWG members a pass, taste and what is expensive are relative. I can tolerate ugly at 500 bucks a hell of a lot easier than I can at 20k

Amen to that. :thumbs: It's funny actualy. I thought these Hublots were quite fugly on first inspection. Then I saw one in my Mens Health Mag several months ago. I dont know but I for some reason found them?? well lets just say Interesting for the lack of a better word. I like the ones with the ceramic bezil and carbon fiber dial. Sorry about the rambling :rolleyes: Mike

Let's hope they don't overdo these measures to make their watches ugly. Rolex's rehaut engraving is cutting it too close already.

BK, I totally agree in general. But in this special case I think it's different: If Hublot attached one of those smart cards to their bezel or dial design it would actually be a visual improvement. :p

Sorry maxman, I know it's a matter of taste.

Yours kindly

Valerian

Why would this make a real difference?

I hope - and really think - that most rep buyers have no intentions of ever passing on their watches as gen for financial gain. But to prevent anyone trying this technology may be of some use.

For the rest of us I doubt that it will make any difference for the forseeable future.

So good luck Hublot et all.

The funny part about it all is that the rep business probably cost brands like Seiko, Citizen, Invicta, ect...ect... more than the acctual brands being repped. That is kind of like saying that Factory5 kit cars are taking money away from the original 60's AC Cobras.

BK, I totally agree in general. But in this special case I think it's different: If Hublot attached one of those smart cards to their bezel or dial design it would actually be a visual improvement. :p

Sorry maxman, I know it's a matter of taste.

Yours kindly

Valerian

:acute:

The funny part about it all is that the rep business probably cost brands like Seiko, Citizen, Invicta, ect...ect... more than the acctual brands being repped. That is kind of like saying that Factory5 kit cars are taking money away from the original 60's AC Cobras.

Totally agree... I would say the rep business:

- is against the low-price watch business

- gives (sort of) free publicity to the high-end brands, so in the end may be even positive for them

And I think the same applies to all the rep market (bags, clothes,...)

Guys in my opinion Hublot didin't exactly have in mind the $250+ watch range we own...Let me give an example of what i mean: 3 weeks ago i've been in a large excebition about home constructions (nothing relevant till now :D ) and inside the main area there were 2 kiosks of rep watches of all brands estimated each at 20euros ($28 if i'm not mistaken) :o They were so cheaply made, that they would give you the impression that they were made of recycled tins :yuk: Lots of people stopped to take a peek and some of them would buy not only one but more than two or three of them! Although i own a rep BCE i felt embarrased watching such poorly made counterfeits and i left right away. So this is what Hublot is afraid of and takes into consideration... And now something funny, imagine what would happen if Hublot or anyone else calculated the loss in their profits taking into account the rep watches that are sold and belong to our price range...They would simply :blowup: blow up :lol:

Sure thing !!!!!! All those that bought a rep @ ~ 200 USD if there were no reps would buy gens for min 20 times the price !!! This is just as ridicolous as the music industry screaming abt the music and movies downloaded on P2P networks

No, it is not the same. There is a big difference between a 15 dollar album and a 20k watch. An album or movie ticket is pretty much affordable by all and there are not a whole lot of substitute goods for them. That industry has been hurt by piracy. A replica watch (or other luxury good) is not in the same ballpark.