When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage love

JoJo35

Like a Series 1 E-Type,

Jaguar_E-type_Series_I.jpg

a California Spyder,

1958_Ferrari_250CaliforniaSpyder2.jpg

or a Duntov Vette,

1963-chevrolet-corvette-grand-sport.jpg

I'm sure past and present owners of mechanical icons such as these felt much the way I did today when I held my latest acquisition in my hands. This

specific model watch has undoubtedly carved a niche into watch history that few have rivaled.

The watch I'm talking about is the venerable red-letter Submariner.

After years of searching, and watching the prices of these gens skyrocket into the stratosphere two years ago, these models are finally coming down into the range where beginner

collectors such as myself can venture out and invest.

This particular watch caught my eye, with a dial and matching hands that are simply superb.

Gen1680001.jpg

This is an early "feet first" watch, with a 2.9 mil serial that puts production near 1970, making this timepiece nearly forty years old.

Gen1680003.jpg

Gen1680002.jpg

The crown and tube are original 7020 early trip-loc :)

Gen1680004.jpg

A curious mis-spelling on the bracelet ;)

Gen1680007.jpg

..and the details of the dial that simply have never been duplicated!

Gen1680016.jpg

Gen1680017.jpg

Finally, the 9315 bracelet and T127 :)

Gen1680008.jpg

Jaguar_E-type_Series_I.jpg

I used to restore those. The early 60s versions were especially nice cars.

We also did Triumphs

cr_stag1.jpg

& a couple of Lotuses

cr_sseven1.jpg

This was my daily franken beater back then, which is now old enough to qualify as vintage itself

datejust-tt.jpg

Gen1680001.jpg

Great catch, JoJo. Not only a beautiful watch, but in truly excellent condition & on a 9315.

Did you get any of the watch's history from the previous owner?

What a magnificent piece! That's my all-time favorite Triplock crown, and the "curious misspelling" is proof that it's a gen clasp. Mine is spelled the same way, and Ubi pointed out that it's a known "tell" of the genuine part.

Magnificent!! :notworthy:

Wow, these vintage Rolex pics have got me all stirred up!

My first daily beater was the ol' 1675...

l1010038.jpg

I swore to myself that I'd get a Red Sub but I've watched the prices of these babies jump like crazy.

Apparently, these misspelled Pateted bracelets originated from Mexico but did not have Rolex S.A. Mexico stamped in them like all the other Mexican Rolex bracelets. Period correct indeed!

PS. Freddy333, those Triumphs are a lotta fun! The later 60s V12 Jag motors break my heart: so nice but so easy to let you down :(

img6044ni8.jpg

The later 60s V12 Jag motors break my heart: so nice but so easy to let you down :(

I was a Jaguar apprentice when the last of the V12 Es left the assembly line. Unfortunately, I could not afford 1 then (even though I was able to get a discount through Jaguar Cars) &, as you mentioned, they proved to be alot of trouble later on (hard to produce a quality car when, between the strikes & tea breaks, the assembly line is constantly being stopped up to a dozen times/day). I have owned 2 E-types (sadly, both sold years ago), but both were inline 6s.

Beautiful Beemer, Euno. :wub: