When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would You Swim With a Rep SOSF?

Stratman

This is coming up again and again (reps and swimming)...

New members please note that the WR claimed by the dealers is just a "promise" that is not to be taken to the bank!

remind yourself where and most important how this watches are made and put together!

Out of the BOX i would not submerge any >REP! Common sense applies... thing to do would be open the piece geese the O rings and the test the watch at a watchmaker for WR.

If you are unable to do the greasing and checking the seals are in place at least go do the WR test TO AVOID disappointment later!

There Laz has spoken ;)

New members please note that the WR claimed by the dealers is just a "promise" that is not to be taken to the bank!

remind yourself where and most important how this watches are made and put together!

Out of the BOX i would not submerge any >REP! Common sense applies... thing to do would be open the piece geese the O rings and the test the watch at a watchmaker for WR.

If you are unable to do the greasing and checking the seals are in place at least go do the WR test TO AVOID disappointment later!

There Laz has spoken ;)

Agreed.

There Laz has spoken ;)

Is correct. Laz, you couldn't put it any better! :good:

I would say just do it. Either you will regret it or you won't. I think just trying... is pretty exciting... :)

well im always a gambler and my sosf is good for swimming... so is my dssd.. and ye

I'm in the same school of thinking. When I first get a watch, I check the basics: That the caseback is secure as tightly as possible, that the crown (and HE valve if applicable) are tightly secured, and then I run a faucet full force and hold the watch under the water, crown to the flow, for a few moments. If the watch fogs up, then I know that I need to look more closely at things like gasgets, crystal fit etc, but if it doesn't fog up, then the watch gets moved up to the next phase of testing: A long soak in a hot tub B) If it survives that, then I'm happy to wear it while swimming. If it doesn't, then I just strip the watch, dry it out, and simply don't get it wet again :D To be fair, I haven't yet had a watch which I was not able to waterproof if necessary, and in the vast majority of cases, the watches were water resistant 'out of the box'. As Cougaree said, trying is half the fun B):good:

+1 for Laz

When I received my SOSF a long time ago, I checked the watch, greased the o-rings, tightened the caseback and have since used it as my summer beater. It's been in the water numerous times and is still alive and kickin'....

My reps and water so far.............

Breitling Skyland Avenger - surfing and diving to 20 metres , swimming several days a week in salt water - Never any problem

Graham Oversized Chronofighter - same

Mont Blanc SS SPorts chrono - same.

My SA hasnt had water becuase its on a gen leather but will when my gen ocean race arrives....so watch this space.....

Breitling Navitimer - no water time.

Breitling Bentley GT - Tourbillon - no water time.

Rolex Submariner - ( $30 POS from Guangzhou markets ) - died in the bath.

Out of the BOX i would not submerge any >REP! Common sense applies... !

There Laz has spoken ;)

Really.

I have owned well over 60 reps and submerge all on arrival,if it quits i would just contact the dealer saying it arrived DOA.. ;)

No water issues thus far,not one. Owned about 4 Fish,no problems in pools either.

The 123 has spoken.

Really.

I have owned well over 60 reps and submerge all on arrival,if it quits i would just contact the dealer saying it arrived DOA.. ;)

No water issues thus far,not one. Owned about 4 Fish,no problems in pools either.

The 123 has spoken.

Well still my way is the safe way if ure a gambling man or can throw away 300/400 usd a piece go ahead... but common sense dictate some testing before jumping in water... u can do the wr test pretty much at any weekend bob watch store and be on the safe side...

Then again anyone has a choice all do urse might be the one to use no precaution and just see what happens others may be different...

Laz

The SOSF was claimed to be waterproof to about half of the gen's depth rating if I remember correctly. I have one of the first Swiss versions and my first impression was that the case was particularly well made. However, the caseback on mine could be unscrewed using only my fingers so it certainly wouldn't have been WP on arrival. I probably would have unscrewed the back anyway, just out of curiosity, but after I retightened it I have used the watch in pools and the sea without any issue. The SOSF seems to be a good candidate but check the obvious things first.

Guest xuj@metasphere.cn
So, any concern regarding swimming with a SOSF rep?

i suggest to ask the watch smith check it by machine, if go to swim directly, you will destroy the movement.

this a myth In have several rep and all of them have gone into water with no problem whatsoever the only issue will be to make sure that the case back is tight not too tight. you can Ask around the case back does not need to be super tight that is why there is a rubber seal. I keep hearing not to go into water. if you know your dealer there is no need to worry.