When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do I need to worry about finding a "rep friendly" repair shop to size a bracelet?

I'm waiting for my Narikaa PO, which is supposed to have a bracelet that is an absolute pain to size, not that I have the tools anyway. Outside of AD's, do I really need to search out a "rep friendly" place rather than just any random watch place at the mall or similar? I figure there's a good chance these people won't even know it is not gen, and if they do, won't care. My only prior experience with this was with a cheapo NY street corner TAG, which anyone could tell was a fake if they held it, and the watch place I took it to didn't bat an eye.

A set of watch tools with a pin pusher is pretty cheap, nothing fancy needed there. I used to get my watches done at a mall kiosk until I got my own tools. I got tired of shelling out 10 bucks every time I got a new watch. Also, it's so damn nice to be able to wear a new watch that comes in, and not have to wait for a trip to the mall or watch shop before you can wear it.

Interesting story though, when I first got my seamaster, I went to the mall to get it sized. One of the screws was pretty tight, and the jeweler tried a little bit to loosen it. Eventually he gave up saying that the watch is too expensive for him to feel comfortable putting more pressure in trying to get the screw out. He said I should take it to an AD to get it sized :).

Good luck!

WR

As a matter of fact and laugh: A good friend of mine is a Rolex AD and this is not the weird thing -although having such a friend is not common and, in fact, I only have one of those!

The weird thing is that he has resized my Narika

Edited by relox

I would not suggest taking it to a watchsmith, but a jeweler who's main business is jewellery, not watches, and is not an AD of any kind. Most of those jewellers have watchmaking tools anyways, and if not sure, just ask first, then ask if he is okay with doing replica watches.

I had my Narikaa PO resized by a jeweller who sold mainly rings and chains with about two display cases of Seikos and Bulovas.

The simplest thing to do is to take it to the "fashion-watch kiosk" at the mall. They usually have some eager teenager working there that knows all about changing watch batteries and sizing bands.

DIY is the best route, and a pin tool, or even a mini tool-kit off the Bay will set you back less, or the same, as going to someone.

However, way back in the day before I had tools, I had good luck with "Department Store" (that does not carry the same brand) watch repair sections. For example, to this day there is a "Sears" with an on site watch repair guy. All he does all day is change batteries in Quartz watches. These guys see reps all the time and can care less.

Should you be called out by a Kiosk or the Sears WIS, just be agreeable: "I thought so, my brother-in-law gave it to me and said he got a "good deal", now I know why".

I am lucky enough that there is a small independent "full service watch repair" place at the local grocery store. An older chinese woman runs it and it's basically a few display cases with bands and straps and all her tools are right there on benches. She's been there for about five years now. Every time I bring in a rep she says the same thing - "Beautiful Watch". When she is done doing whatever it is I need she says "real one is easier to do." And that's it.

I don't mind taking my reps there because I'm buying groceries anyway and it's a whopping $7.00 to have her re size the band. I have some cheap tools to do this myself but I always seem to scratch something. She never scratches anything, and it takes her all of 30 seconds.

She advertises movement repairs too, and I may take her up on that soon. That would be the real test. :)

I am lucky enough that there is a small independent "full service watch repair" place at the local grocery store. An older chinese woman runs it and it's basically a few display cases with bands and straps and all her tools are right there on benches. She's been there for about five years now. Every time I bring in a rep she says the same thing - "Beautiful Watch". When she is done doing whatever it is I need she says "real one is easier to do." And that's it.

I don't mind taking my reps there because I'm buying groceries anyway and it's a whopping $7.00 to have her re size the band. I have some cheap tools to do this myself but I always seem to scratch something. She never scratches anything, and it takes her all of 30 seconds.

She advertises movement repairs too, and I may take her up on that soon. That would be the real test. :)

I guess the point is go with what looks right. As long as you stay out of an AD, you will be fine. What does someone at a kiosk care? $10 is $10 right?! Who cares if its the usual Fossil or your UPO.

I handed my "ultimate version" Planet Ocean for regulating at the local watch store by my house. When the Asian store owner was finished, he handed me back the watch and said "absolutely the best replica he has ever seen". I asked him how he knew it was a replica?!?!. He said that if it was real, there's no way I would of brought it into his store for repair. We both started laughing!

I handed my "ultimate version" Planet Ocean for regulating at the local watch store by my house. When the Asian store owner was finished, he handed me back the watch and said "absolutely the best replica he has ever seen". I asked him how he knew it was a replica?!?!. He said that if it was real, there's no way I would of brought it into his store for repair. We both started laughing!

Haha...good stuff!

Classic!

I'm fairly sure the guy who sized mine charged me more than he usually does because he thought it was a gen...

I have one of those inexpensive screw-in type link pin pusher tools, it doesn't always line up properly and I windup sometimes putting a dink in the link edge. What I use mostly is bulletin board metal push pins and a hammer over a soft piece of wood. Works for me.

411QcpygTfL._SL500_AA280_.jpg