When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help I Did A Stupid Thing...:-(

I was so stupid as to release the stem out of my ETA 2836-2 with to small a pushpin (first time I did this). The push button did not come back up (and I supose it should pop back up). I now cannot put the stem back in... :wounded1:

That was dumb. Is there a way to fix or can I throw away the movement now... It is a shame because it is the GMT adjusted version with the correct hand stack...For my White Explorer2... I was going to paint the hour markers black...

I was so stupid as to release the stem out of my ETA 2836-2 with to small a pushpin (first time I did this). The push button did not come back up (and I supose it should pop back up). I now cannot put the stem back in... :wounded1:

I did this. You need to get it fixed. I used Palpatine, but I believe Finepics can do it as well.

If you fancy fixing it yourself, you need to be comfortabble removing the hands, the dial and a few bits of the movement. I took one look and decided to sent it off.

I did the same thing. It's a simple fix for a watchmaker. It has something to do with screwing up the keyless works (I think). Don't worry - just take it to your local rep-friendly watchmaker.

Hey lietz have you found a local rep friendly watchmaker? I may have, but I have to check him out friday, i need a cyclops installed.

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

kingkitesurf was determined to do this himself and rather than have him going in blind I just gave some basic instructions.

Heres pretty much the PM that I sent.

Once the dial, hands and hour wheel are off the movement will look like some thing below.

104615-25414.jpg

The first thing is to remove the date wheel which is held in by the parts indicated by the red arrows. The spring part shown by the blue arrow needs to be moved towards the centre of the movement, I use a very small screw driver to do this. The date wheel then should be rotated till the teeth line up with the green arrows and it should come out. Because we will be going into the keyless works you probably can just undo the screw between 6 and 7.

104615-25415.jpg

Now the date wheel is off it should be similar to this, next is to remove the screw at the red arrow. This piece is also held in at the green arrows and just needs to be moved down in relation to the picture.

104615-25416.jpg

The next pic relates to the keyless works, the piece out of place is shown by the white arrow (it will probably be slightly raised). The reason its out of place is because the button on the opposite side of the movement that you pushed to far is on the other side at the red arrow.

Now hopefully you can move this piece very slightly so it drops back in place with out having to remove any more parts as there are a few small bits in the keyless works that have to go together in a particular way.

As you can see in this pic the button has a slot for a reason and thats not to push to far, only use a screw diver that fits in the slot! (ignore the red arrow)

104615-25417.jpg

Edited by Bazz

Heres a post to try and show what happens when you do happen to push the set lever button to far.

104905-25313.jpg

Heres a pic pointing out the part that becomes the problem, the set lever.

104905-25314.jpg

This is what the keyless works looks like with the cover removed.

104905-25315.jpg

104905-25316.jpg

Here I have flipped the set lever over so you can see underneath it. The arrows are to show how it lines up. The middle part goes into the groove of the stem (bottom middle arrow). When you push it through to far from the other side you push the set lever button up out of its hole so the whole set lever is sitting up out of position. This in turn means that the stem can not grip the button part of the set lever meaning the stem will be able to be pushed in or out without engaging the rest of the keyless works.

Hope this helps I know I have done it in the past!

Actually you can't go wrong with it in IMHO. There's a few things you have to be carefull about..

- Get people like Bazz to help you :3a:

- Take a good look before you start disaasembly (take pictures beforehand)

- Have good screwdrivers and tweezers

- Don't turn the watch upside down to remove something (I did :brow: and then had to puzzle out ho to get the parts back), better peel it of gradually

- Just go ahead and do it, if you manage it's great :bleh:

• 5 weeks later...

Great post, Bazz! We'll have to start referring to you as Ziggy II. The pics are magnificent.

Like everyone else who starts working on watches, I, too, have screwed up the keyless works. Luckily, my watchmaker fixed it for $30. And of course, since then I've started using the 1.2mm screwdriver.

i know this sounds crazy but i have a spare eta 2836 laying around some where , im going to sink the pin & try to reset it :) i think i can pull this off ! :victory: ..

but BAZZ how do you remove the dial on a eta 2836 movement ? :) & re-install it .

its not as simple as asian movements are .

Edited by 2005SUBMARINER

To me it happened once and that was beginning of Aug... as you can see with this post... obviously this happens all the time although there is a warning in various posts. I didn't have the patience to wait for the correct screwdriver and used a needle... Luckily I have read the warnings in advance and did not push very hard in trying not to overpush it but you will anyway.... That way you don't bend anything... Use the screwdriver and it is peanuts now. I have by now uncased all my reps a few times. Routine comes very quick.

This should be pinned in the repair section indeed.... :p

This has also happened to me on my Pam 063 the third time or so I worked on it. I actually used a watchmaker screwdriver and still managed to sink it! I feel a little relieved to see that some other members have done this, as I thought I was the only one. Mine will be going to The Zigmeister to have it fixed and serviced. My confidence level working with watches has plunged after this fiasco :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just find a watchmaster in your city who's cool on working with reps

I suggest looking for smaller watch/clock shops

Just ask him if he minds, then explain your problem

My watchmaster was so impressed with the quality of my reps that he was acutally thinking about me ordering a few for him, lol

it happens SO often . . . well, to me at least. :)

To me it happened once and that was beginning of Aug...

This has also happened to me on my Pam 063 the third time or so I worked on it

Same here. :lol:

My watchmaster was so impressed with the quality of my reps that he was acutally thinking about me ordering a few for him, lol

Exactly the same here. :lol::lol: