When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

...when grails become reality

JoJo35

I'm sure many of you here remember when I first arrived (on RWG1). Although I had plenty of interest in vintage rolex, I had very little knowledge of the subject.

After years of research here, on other boards, in books, and my visits to vintage dealers in the city, my knowledge slowly grew.

However, it wasn't until I met members here at a GTG that my interest truly sparked. I can remember very clearly holding a gen grail 5508 in my hands, and wondering in amazement how much it must be worth.

At that point, I knew that my rep days were slowly drawing to a close, and my quest for gens had begun.

Since then, I have been fortunate enough to acquire several gens that are grails in their own right. I've even been lucky enough to buy one of them from one of our very own trusted members.

After having some bad luck piecing together a franken (which is still on the drawing boards), I decided that nothing can possibly beat the real thing, so....

A watch that only two years ago was so far out of reach it was beyond consideration, today became one of my very own collection...

It's a five and a half mil gen 6263 in unmolested, un-polished, and original condition. :)

An original "large daytona" dial

Original trip-lock and pushers

B)

Guest HaloArchive

I should share my gen :)

This watch is also unmolested. Unpolished. NEVER Serviced. Never been opened. Never seen water. I had to stop wearing it because the metal gave me some sort of a mild rash.

(Click for larger picture)

img00077200905222136.th.jpg

img00080200905222138.th.jpg

img00087200905222141.th.jpg

img00088200905222144.th.jpg

img00090200905222145.th.jpg

Cheers~

H

Truly awe inspiring. Huge congratulations. Well I know someone who will never be wearing his DW 6263 to a NYC GTG again. By the way the winds are blowing the boat in the right direction and it looks like we are looking at another NYC GTG in August. ;) I enjoyed your first Red at the last GTG. You better bring the new one to the next. :D

Wow... proves once again that the gens among the RWG members rival ANY watch forum on the Internet.

Both reds are just wonderful... gen is pretty much the only option for the red 1680... it can't be built properly anyway... the dials simply aren't accessible and the Daytona is a legend.

Congrats for both... and don't drop 'em! :D

Beautiful Daytona! :)

I am sure you are enjoying and savouring every bit of this historical piece JJ!

A somewhat similar situation has dawned upon me when I had a chance to meet the "Gens" in person just a couple months back, from a pristine 5508, to a few grails in the 30,000 Euros region of Tudor Monte Carlos, I knew I had been "vintagized".

From the sharp curvatures of the cases, to the glit or matte dials, right up to the tritium-patina'ed indices, these are sights that are hardly seen in watches manufactured today.

We all know that one can never own all of the available Vintages out there but as time passes by, the scarcity of these pieces just drive up the prices. It's a known fact that if we reversed back time, went back to 15-20 years back --- many of these Vintages (as we know of today) aren't even sought-after, and laid in watch display cases in shops around the world.

As we transcend into technological advances that have brought information at the speed of our fingertips, our knowledge for "items of interest" are immediately known, digest and ready to be taken-into-action --- the action of acquisitions. ;)

So what's next on the menu?

This afternoon I was in the woods, looking for bears. I was walking along a salmon stream, the birds were singing, there was a light breeze.

Suddenly there was a pause. It got very quiet for just a moment. The wind died down and the birds were silent. At first I thought a bear was close by.

Now I know what it was. It was the sound of silence as you opened this watch box and the heavens gazed over your shoulder in awe.

Well done. That is beautiful.

JoJo, my dear friend, you are amazing!

Congratulations on this new Rolex, certainly one of the most desired one. :wub:

I agree with BT.

Rwg becomes (or has always been?) a place for true passionates.

I'm pretty sure we have some incredible gens owned by our members who do not show off and probably some much more interresting ones than on gen forums.

+ the fantastic frankens that nobody else have !!!! :D

Ok, I was wondering when I would come back to NYC again...

I guess it will be sooner than expected!

I wanna shake your hand and congrat you Live :yeah:

All the best,

Stephane