When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken 16610... Done (finally).

ubiquitous

Finally... Got this one to a point where it's wearble. I replaced the seconds hand and shaved a new insert. Mods performed:

-TW Best Case (new style)

-ETA 2836 from the TW Best

-TWG 21j date overlay

-TWG 21j Dial

-Genuine Rolex Bezel Insert (shaved to fit- snaps in without glue)

-Genuine Triplock Crown and Tube

-Shaved CG's

-TWG 21j Oyster Bracelet and Clasp

-Tudor Sub hands

The hands are the only new mod since my last post. The original TW Best econds hand was damaged when it was removed (the hand seperated from the tube), so I had to temporarily use a hand from a vintage Sub until new ones were sourced.

Here's how it sits now...

104361-25507.jpg

104361-25508.jpg

Insert :)

104361-25509.jpg

And on my wrist...

104361-25510.jpg

I haven't always been a fan of the modern Subs, but I must admit- This one has grown on me. Think I'll hang onto it for a while :)

Thanks for looking!

R

Guest HeWhoIsLikeGod
Excellent Job! Would you mind if I asked where you sourced the hands from?

UBI has a little fairy and when ever he needs a part he just asks the fairy. He tries to pretend he just has this stuff laying around, like everyone has an extra Royal Oak bracelet laying around, its like baking soda...I don't think so...he has a watch fairy.

UBI has a little fairy and when ever he needs a part he just asks the fairy. He tries to pretend he just has this stuff laying around, like everyone has an extra Royal Oak bracelet laying around, its like baking soda...I don't think so...he has a watch fairy.

:bangin::Jumpy::bangin::Jumpy:

Btw Ubi, when you're sick of it (if you bloody ever do), let me know and quote me a price for it... ;);):wub:

Thanks for the kind words!! I had a lot of fun puttin this one together... It actually went quite fast once I had all the parts in hand!

Oh, and speaking of which... My magical parts fairy says 'hello' to all of the RWG guys :) I must give credit where credit is due, and she has always come through for me ;)

As for the Tudor hands- I tried the ones in Aligoat's link, but unfortunately, they didn't work out so well. Here's a pic of them installed:

105069-25282.jpg

If you'll notice, the back end of the hand on this one is too short. That portion should be right aroun .5x as long. So, I called up my supplier, and asked if he had a set for a Tudor Sub with 2824. I took his last set in stock :)

Anyways... Thanks again for the very kind comments! It may be a while before this one goes up for sale.

Best,

Randy

P.S. link- Nice gen ;)

The seconds hand makes a big difference. Most of the reps I've seen have an uneven texture to the finish. If you look closely that's a tell-tale sign of a gen. All gens that I've seen have very sharp hands--especially the seconds hand. It looks as if razor cut out of a flat sheet of white gold. Very flat instead of "tubular."

I had a 16610 and was able to source Tudor hands for ~75 USD, but the watch was stolen :-(

The CGs were not all that hot, but the magnification was hot, as was the rehaut. I got it from david watchlover a few years ago.

The seconds hand makes a big difference. Most of the reps I've seen have an uneven texture to the finish. If you look closely that's a tell-tale sign of a gen. All gens that I've seen have very sharp hands--especially the seconds hand. It looks as if razor cut out of a flat sheet of white gold. Very flat instead of "tubular."

I had a 16610 and was able to source Tudor hands for ~75 USD, but the watch was stolen :-(

The CGs were not all that hot, but the magnification was hot, as was the rehaut. I got it from david watchlover a few years ago.

How was the watch stolen? That sucks......BTW - still have use for the hands? :D

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I finally got a Sub rep as a base for mods. I used the search button trying to find information about mods with a Rolex bezel and it led me to this thread. What is the deal with "shaving" down a genuine bezel? Is it way thicker than the rep bezel? Thanks in advanced.

Read again :) "Genuine Rolex Bezel Insert (shaved to fit- snaps in without glue)" Insert, not bezel... It means you have to sand a bit (or more) the insert to make it "seat" in the bezel without needing to glue it and letting the crystal rise over the insert just a bit...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...