When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Miss You Guys

RobbieG

Thanks alot to all of you. The love here is almost overwhelming and meets or exceeds anything I'm getting in my personal life. You want to get a laugh? I felt like sh*t this morning but decided to do something I love and go for a drive. I got f*cking pulled over! Hahaha. Not for speeding but for not using a turn signal on a lane change on an empty road. Actually, it is a happy story. He was behind me and following in an unmarked as it turns out because he is a car nut and I just got a new Porker as the Aussies call them. He basically admitted he just wanted to look at the car although the charge was legit. Nice kid. He didn't ticket me for the signal violation of course. It was right on a straight and I asked him if I could open her up when I took off and he said go for it as long as I broke before the next rise. I did and it was fun. Man, I love the sound of a good motor and whining turbos. Is there anything like it in the world? If I died today that would almost do...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uneducated Aussies may mate. Personaly I get up tight even when folks pronunce it "porsh" It's German guys and there's an "e" on the end!

One of my clients has the new turbo. Amazing car, one of the very few true super cars that can be driven every day. I had a 930 for a while, loved it. Much more of an animal than the new one. 930s bite, hard! Most unfogiving car I ever owned if you got it wrong. The new ones are a whole new ball game handling wise, much easier and forgiving to drive hard and just as much fun. All the challenge is gone tho. They just don't have that same aircooled sound now either which is a shame but boy do they go! Can't afford toys like that anymore but it was fun while it lasted.

Col.

Thanks alot to all of you. The love here is almost overwhelming and meets or exceeds anything I'm getting in my personal life. You want to get a laugh? I felt like sh*t this morning but decided to do something I love and go for a drive. I got f*cking pulled over! Hahaha. Not for speeding but for not using a turn signal on a lane change on an empty road. Actually, it is a happy story. He was behind me and following in an unmarked as it turns out because he is a car nut and I just got a new Porker as the Aussies call them. He basically admitted he just wanted to look at the car although the charge was legit. Nice kid. He didn't ticket me for the signal violation of course. It was right on a straight and I asked him if I could open her up when I took off and he said go for it as long as I broke before the next rise. I did and it was fun. Man, I love the sound of a good motor and whining turbos. Is there anything like it in the world? If I died today that would almost do...

Awesome outcome, bro :good:

I have to admit, I've always pronouced it 'porsh' since I was a kid, and despite knowing the correct pronunciation, I've just never been able to 'reboot' that language subroutine to say it properly :D

Cool runnings B)

930's yeah, wow...a beast for sure. Many people just don't realize how hard it is to drive the pure rear wheel drive variant with a lot of HP. I find the new GT2 very difficult to drive for example which is why I opt for the AWD variants. Purist poo-poo it, but meanwhile I pretty much know I'm staying on the road. It is really hard to screw up driving them at any speed. And I mean HARD into corners even. The power balancing system is flawless. Although the GT2 motor kit in the stock 997 is perfect for me. The stock 480hp increases to 530hp with the kit. Big price to pay for those few HP though. Nothing like the next step up though. My friend has 640hp in his but I feel the motor stress is too high. It almost skips in low gears when you hammer on it - especially downshifting. Overkill. For me, 530hp is all you ever need and then some. It pulls like a frigging rhino on a crank binge. Just ridiculous. Melts the eyes into the back of your head. Gotta love it - if that is your thing. But the 930 is another beast entriely Boss. Tough to drive but rewarding if you are a trained driver. I'm not so I need 4 wheel power to stay on the road...

Hey Robbie.. this is your past calling from the Ala Wai.. :)

after your persistence this past year in getting me to post my collection.. the least you can do is get your arse to the thread and bitch about how you meant the whole collection at one time.. ;)

tear yourself away from your leather car seat for a minute..

Are they still making the mats out of Hemp ??.. gets the interior smelling like Pakalolo when the car is in the sun.. :wub:

A~C

Lami

Gone out for a little thrill ride eh? Thats pretty funny about the cop.

911 turbo? You just got it? Is it factory stock? I thought you had a Cayanne S?

No I have never owned any SUV. Those are cool, but what ever gave you that idea? I had a 04 996 sold that and got a new 997 with what amounts to the GT2 performance kit.

And as for Ken's car, I vote for the Saab Sonnet.

But seriously, if anyone is looking for a cool little fast car, my decked Mini S with twin T's is still my favorite and my everyday driver. So luxurious inside and out yet somehow stripped out and fun. If you get the Cooper Works stuff they can be pretty fast too. Basically mine is as customized as they get and I think I have around $35K into it. Maybe a little more but not much. Tons of room in them too believe it or not. Before I got sick when we used to go out to dinners a lot we would pick up another couple a lot and they would ride in the back no problem. And with the seats folded down it is HUGE back there. The new 2" bigger all around car is way bigger than the first BMW versions and of course a mile bigger than a real Mini. I can't say enough about them and as you can tell from my other car tastes I am a real enthusiast. I've got to get a new round of car pics if and when I feel better, but here is an old one of the Mini when I first got it. Still, I hardly leave the office so I have no miles on it. I got it in October of 07 and I just turned 7K miles. lol.

Mini1.jpg

Mini2.jpg

Mini3.jpg

Untitled-10-2.jpg

My dad came around a few weeks ago and said he was thinking of buying a new BMW, I said c'mon dad your 81 years old if you want to lash out do it right and buy a Porsche or get something more sedate to suit your age.....he settled for a Stateman, nice car that wont over work his old ticker.

Ken

Edit to add; That Mini is one cute little car :)

Robbie, its awful to hear about this insidious 'unknown'. If you are ever in Chicago at Northwestern, U of Chicago, Rush, etc., let me know and we will help out however we can.

Physical stuff aside, your attitude and emotions are clearly IN TACT. At this point, I pray you do all you can to remain in these spirits, no matter what this thing throws at you. Mental clarity/comfort leads and the body follows in these situations, I feel.

Hi RobbieG,

Like many others here, I haven't had the chance to interact with you previously. However, it seems there is something that brings us all together when a fellow human being is going through so much health difficulties and pain.

Health is a funny thing. We take it for granted when we have it, not paying attention to it (even doing things to destroy it, like smoking). And then when we don't have it any more, we would do anything to get our health back, even give up on our "most treasured" toys, like you said. That's life I guess.

Having lost my father to cancer, the one thing I realize is that what you probably need most now is hope, for you and for your family. Have a search on Google for Randy Pausch, and his "Last Lecture". Even though it's a sad story in the end (Randy passed away), it's also a story full of hope. Randy fought through his illness all the way. He also lived his last few month to the full, like you are doing, and he managed to leave a legacy behind for his family and children. Honestly, the last lecture video is something you have to watch ...

Some of his most memorable words, that I have glued on my wall, are:

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt,

only how we play the hand..."

I hope your doctors manage to find what is tormenting you, and give you the right therapy to cure it. As such, I wish you speedy recovery. And don't lose your hope...

• 1 month later...