When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Old outdated information

fotoman

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A. ... not meaning to pry.. there are a lot of people who genuinely care about your well being here..

whatever you need to help you through the issues you are facing ,.. you need to take the first step man...

If you need professional help it's there... we're here.. denial is very cunning .. believe me I know first hand..

Please don't take this the wrong way .... I believe you need to take that first step now..

R

Ditto Ken's comments. I, too, have lived with severe back/neck pain resulting from an accident many years ago. I had 3 options - 1. fusing surgery, followed by long-term medication, 2. twice-daily stretching/strengthening exercise, or 3. long-term medication by itself. Initially, I tried 3, but found myself going down the same road you appear to be on while the pain continued. I have a relative who had similar back issues who had the surgery. Years after 'successful' surgery & lots of meds, she still has minor pain &, now, reduced mobility due to the surgery. So I tried the 2nd course, exercise, which, after a month or so, became a miracle cure & I have been mostly pain free (& fully mobile without any meds) for many years.

Still, it sounds like you have been through the mill (more than once). I hope you find the key that lets you get back to living life without having to deal with so many collateral issues. Sometimes, you just have to get really lost before you find the right direction. :)

Much luck, my friend. I know it's no consolation but it sounds as bad as my 2008.

Take care.

EDIT: If you're in Florida, let me know which city & I can hook you up with the best orthopod in your area. I know you know half of my family is in law, but fortunately the other half is in orthopedics. :)

Edited by gioarmani

Hey mate, my heart goes out to you. I don't really think its productive to be bad mouthing your ex though. I know, she was supposed to love you through sickness and health, but sometimes life doesn't work out like you want. You admit that you don't even remember how you behaved on medication, so maybe she was justified in leaving. Maybe she didn't see a viable happy ending anywhere in the future.

What you gotta do is to stop taking drugs. Then you've got to get serious about getting well. Pain killers just hide the pain, they don't take it away. Pain is your body telling you that something is wrong. By taking medication without dealing with the cause, you are simply ignoring what your body is telling you. Your life is just going to spiral until you get this sorted mate.

My prayers are with you...

A

Edited by andreww

That's a pretty harsh hand you've been dealt...

You've clearly got the strength to get through it, though, so I wish you well while you take the next few steps and will look forward to seeing you on the other side! :tu:

Remember, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger 8)

My best advice is to visit a Neurosurgeon or Orthopaedic surgeon but make sure the man/woman you see is the very best.

Mine said to me straight up "Ken your manual work life is over, accept that before we move on" then when asked about the negatives of fusion surgery he said "paraplegia or you might die on the operating table".

He discounted drugs as an answer and also the exercise programs handed out by chiropractor's, he said to me to get out there and walk and when you can walk then also swim.

He was so passionate about getting people mobile again that he actually yelled at me when I turned up 6 months later still sporting a walking cane.

So today I am by no means fit in fact I am quite a bit over weight but I can walk for miles and swim to London and.....I am basically pain free.

A lot of mornings I will still have back pain but a quick hot then cold shower will fix that and the strongest drug I take for pain is Panadol.

Ken

So basically, theres no options besides losing mobility (fusion) or becoming horribly addicted to pills (morphine)?

Stay strong.

The Russians have developed laser re-constitution of torn and damaged spinal cartilage. Basically they discovered that if you heat it with a laser, the tears vanish ... at least that's what I read. They are using it successfully on nasal cartilage now as well, to reform nasal passages without hyper-painful and bloody sinus surgery.

At least, that's what I hear.