When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep to Gen ? ?

billywhiz

Just having little wonderings re the rep scene here on RWG.

We collect Reps for many reasons so below is just a question based on one of those many reasons..

ok so you came into the world of reps - initianlly as many of us do are like a kid in a candy store and soon have a full casefull for every day of the week - for some of us each am and pm as well lol.

But my question is on this how many of you have actually gone and bought a Gen based on your Rep, meaning you love the feel, design, look etc etc thats it's made you part with those extra $,000's.

Feeling proper love for my Rollie GMT II Ceram that as a watch the Gen is not that much $$ really, Deffo in my range to buy as Gen which I probably will do.

For me it brings a flip side to the world of ultimately - ( and to use a Dealer term lol ) 'knock off' watches to a buyer through the doors of an AD to buy a Gen.

What Rep was your poison ?

B)

dsc013341.jpg

About eight months ago I saw a Raymond Weil Nabucco In my Mens health Mag. It was love at first site. I started doing some research and found them to be around $3000.00. I really did not want to spend that kind of money on a watch at the time. I never thought I woiuld find a rep of this watch because RW Is not In the same "big boys" league as the usual suspects. About a month later I was looking around "timeshops.net and found the RW, I could not believe my eyes. It was also around $450.00 but hey thats better then $3000.00. So I waited a while and found It at Asian7750 for $279.00, It's now around $420.00. I purchased It on the spot. It Is my favorite rep and I cant get over how gen like this watch Is, trully amazing. I went to the mall near my house to try on the gen. The look and the feel are spot on, I find It difficult to tell the difference. I will buy the gen Omega Po one day due to the reps sunken DW and the feet are a bit off. I dont think this Issue(DW) will be fixed anytime soon so a gen Is In the works. Dont get me wrong, the Omega Po are fantastic replications and were fortunate to have this beautiful watch so well replicated. It's because of the rep that I want the gen. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Mike

Unless I win the lottery, discover that I'm a long lost relative of the Sultan of Brunei or some such rather unlikely thing, I won't ever buy a genuine high-end watch. Firstly because there isn't a watch in the world that is worth thousands of dollars to me. Secondly because most or all watches in the price bracket I could afford (say up to $4-5000) are made partly in China or elsewhere in the Far East anyway, so why not keep it all Chinese and save most of the dosh.

If I could actually get an all in-house manufactured watch for what I'd be prepared to spend, then sure, but that would require a time machine.

Was collecting genuine longines watches before i stumbeled ont RWG (the old site that is).......fell quickly in love with replicas and RWG but i must admit that nothing beats a genuine complicated watch

I only buy vintage gens & only those vintage pieces that can be purchased for a reasonable sum that are likely to steadily increase in value over time. In the case of the GMTIIC, I was fortunate to have gotten in on the initial run of CHS watches, which look & function similar to the gen, so I have little impetus to splurge for the gen

047-2_2__tonemapped1.jpg

I was into Gens long before I started with reps, mainly because there were no reps that i knew of at the time. my first gen purchase was a Rolex 1680 this was in the late 1960's, White dial (had a choice of Red sub or white for the same price). 500.00 USD !! Brand new from a Rolex dealer. I have had quite a few gen Rolex. I actually started with Replicas as sort of a "try it on for size" before splurging on a gen. i had several PAMS reps. and almost bought a gen GMT, but just couldn't pull the trigger. Lost interest in PAMS shortly after that. I actually bought the Rolex ceramic GMT II to use as and everyday watch and not have to wear my GMT 16750 as much. If i had half of the Rolex Gens i bought over the years, I would definitely buy a rep of each one ,1680, DRSD, Datejust, even a Daytona Paul Newman, keep the gens in a safe and wear the reps.

It's hard to justify wearing a really nice vintage a lot, they are irreplacable and fixing one if you bang it around is so expensive, it makes sense to me to use you rep as a daily wearer and keep the gen for special occasions, or to pay for your kids college.

Just my dos centavos

Arthur

Reps were definitely my gateway drug to Gens. Way back in 1986 with my now horrible to look at Quartz Sub. But I was always a "Diver Watch" guy.

The funny thing Reps have saved me from buying Gens that I thought I would like, and swayed to buy Gens like my Explorer II White Face based on the comfort of my BK-Noob-ExpII Black. This forum also led to my discovery of the Ebel BTR, which I now own.

i have been slowly collecting gens for about 20 years. i live in nyc so i was always around reps too.

i started buying reps of the pieces i liked but not enough to spend the gen $$.about 3-4 years ago i found some of the scam sites and realized there was a world of really good reps.then i discovered the boards and found the real grail sites. i've never bought the same gen as i have rep; except for rolex dj which come in tons of flavors anyway. to me reps are like clothes- you can get a pair of shoes for $150 or a decent rep.

I only buy pre owned gens. Same with my cars. Save lots of money that way. I buy when I find a deal I cannot pass up. I don't always set out looking for a genuine watch.

Totally agree. I'd have to be extremely wealthy before I'd buy a new car.

And I've gotten some good deals on Hamilton watches. They're not at the high end of the gen spectrum, but they are a great value.

I was in the same boat as you last month... the GMT IIC was always my 'go to' watch - I'd wear it nearly every day despite two full boxes!

I eventually bit the bullet and bought the gen a few weeks ago - it's beautiful! The bezel colouring is fantastic compared to rep.

If you want one and like me don't want to tie up the cash in these volatile times then if you ask nicely at Watches of Switzerland they'll give you 3 years 0% finance.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

JG

Totally agree. I'd have to be extremely wealthy before I'd buy a new car.

And I've gotten some good deals on Hamilton watches. They're not at the high end of the gen spectrum, but they are a great value.

I agree, Hamiltons are fantastic watches, big bang for the buck :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Started out with an obsession for the Chrono Evo. Unfortunately, at the time, there were really no good reps of the watch. Shortly after I saved all my pennies to buy a gen, the good CE reps came along. Bought another gen Breitling since then, and have not surfed the rep boards for a few years. I now see there are some very good Chrono Avenger, Super Chrono Avenger, Blackbird, and Navi replicas on the market. I'd sure like to have one of the silver-faced Skylands. Unfortunately, after two gens, my wife says I'm done "trading!"

I've gone from Gen ( Tag SS Kirium from the States whilst I was on holiday) to rep - Tag Carrera. Then Gen Tag Calibre Link S. Then back to reps Sub Date from PT then GMT master iic from wbk and lastly a DSSD also from wbk. Today i have just bought a gen Rolex GMT Master iic.

Don't know if I'll buy any more reps as I was very taken with the new Breitling Chronomat B01 ( SS with black dial on a divers rubber strap) when i was in the AD buying the Rolex today. I do have a BK Rolex subDate LV on order which i've got to decide weather to cancel or buy and sell on.