When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pawn Stars: How to spot a fake Rolex

Ronin

Stumbled upon this. Not the usual ancient information, and by no means definitive.

I actually don't have "TV" at home, but have have caught this show on the History Channel while on the road for work. It is a pretty cool show.

You Tube Link

I thought it was funny how he said the rep was worth absolutely nothing. I remember another clip someone posted, where the court's appointed expert at least acknowledged that the fake was worth about $50 :lol:

Awesome find though, thanks for sharing :good:

This is a good show. I have only watched a few episodes but liked all of the ones I have seen. Some good information in each one. However I would still stop by here for help on spotting a fake lol even if I was buying one from a pawn shop lol. I haven't had any of my reps leak on me. I granted I don't go around dunking them in water but I wash my hands a ton. Never had a problem other than the inside of the band needing to be dried off occasionally.

I thought it was funny how he said the rep was worth absolutely nothing. I remember another clip someone posted, where the court's appointed expert at least acknowledged that the fake was worth about $50 :lol:

Awesome find though, thanks for sharing :good:

yeah i remember that too.. wasn't it an episode of CSI or something?

yeah i remember that too.. wasn't it an episode of CSI or something?

If I remember, it was something more like Judge Judy, and I think the guy tried to use a rep to pay a debt, but I'm a bit fuzzy on the details. The thing I thought was nice, was although the expert explained that it was a rep, he didn't just say "This is worthless..." he did acknowledge that it did have some (although not much :lol: ) financial value :)

Nothing wrong with it. Everything is made perfectly. ..PERIOD. What fantasy ass does he have his head stuck in?

I agree. I read on a gen forum about people who were frustrated that they purchased gen rolex that had flaws in the dial and some people go as far as to complain about variants in submariner dials "my friend bought a submariner then I bought one and my dial looks different".

This guy saying Rolex throws away what comes off the assembly line that isn't good I would believe is incorrect as well. I know Ferrari does this (not the whole car, but parts on the assembly line such as if they drop a painted part on the floor they bin it) but I have never heard of a watch maker throwing out an entire watch because the dial had a crooked marker on it. I'd imagine that Rolex replaces the dial. Although yes they could afford to throw away the entire watch since they are overpriced to begin with and the internet is making that well known these days :)

It's worth nothing because you can't legally sell it. :)

... and who the hell would spend $4000 on making a fake? Oh, right. Us. Yeah, bang to rights.

I like the way he said dont buy it off the street but you can be sure if you buy one off someone like me!! Well at least if you do you know it wont leak!!!

If I remember, it was something more like Judge Judy, and I think the guy tried to use a rep to pay a debt, but I'm a bit fuzzy on the details. The thing I thought was nice, was although the expert explained that it was a rep, he didn't just say "This is worthless..." he did acknowledge that it did have some (although not much :lol: ) financial value :)

Truth is stranger than fiction... wasn't it this?

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/salahis-fake-watch-121009

It's worth nothing because you can't legally sell it. :)

That's true, but, as mentioned on 'the other show', the expert acknowledged that it wasn't a totally worthless item. Of course, I'm sure he was talking about the value of the parts making up the watch, rather than re-selling an illegal item :whistling:

Truth is stranger than fiction... wasn't it this?

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/salahis-fake-watch-121009

No, it was a definite TV show like Judge Judy, as it was 'court room setting', and if I recall, dealing specifically with a Rolex... Always good to know it's not just broke joes who buy reps :victory:

• 4 months later...

i was just about to start a new topic about the "pawn stars" show when i did a search and found this topic. what a great show! i just discovered it the other night and have set my dvr to record all the past episodes. we all appreciate the hunt and a good story behind an item and this show delivers. here's a clip from youtube which includes a stolen rolex watch ... enjoy!