When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Worst Rep dealer ever - recomendations

RLudlowe

OK, there's this guy I know who found out my Breitling is a rep, he loves that watch and he's begging me for a source. The thing is - this guy is a bit of an ass and I certainly don't want to get him near any of our "trusted" dealers. I also don't want him emailing me over and over every time he buys something.

So, what I need is a website that is absolutely terrible, that will make him crazy - sell him crap and in general make him want to leave me and the rep hobby alone forever and a day. Yes, I feel bad about leading the guy astray but I'd feel worse if he got involved in collecting reps. He's the kind of guy who would call up the feds and say "hey, I just bought this fabulous watch - is this legal? Here's the website URL!"

Any suggestions?

Talk about going against the spirit of rep collecting....recommending an unrecommended dealer :1a:

In all seriousness I would just say I got it from Ebay, he can either try the same route, or do some research and stumble across diffeent dealers on the way.

tell him it straight that you think he is an ass end end it that way

Not that easy - too many friends in common. Too much collateral damage.

MasterOfPuppets gave me an idea, I could just go through my old bookmarks for one that's dead and just say "sorry, dude - guess they got busted"

Talk about going against the spirit of rep collecting....recommending an unrecommended dealer :1a:

In all seriousness I would just say I got it from Ebay, he can either try the same route, or do some research and stumble across diffeent dealers on the way.

+1 sounds good to me :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Depending on how capable the guy is of using the internet, sending him astray might back fire and he could land up here anyways.

Have you considered selling him yours (after) getting a suitable replacement? Maybe that will end it. (Although I appreciate you not wanting to have the same watch as him either).

I like the eBay thing. -or- if you really don't think he will seek one out and take you at your word, just say with "ACTA", everyone is running scared and getting shutdown. Tell him to go to Canal St, or China.

Depending on how capable the guy is of using the internet, sending him astray might back fire and he could land up here anyways.

If he were capable, he would be here on his own - he wants me to do the work for him and hold his hand.

Of course, that would mean an email from him every time his shipment was late or a watch doesn't meet his approval.

He'd also probably walk up to every person he sees and say "see this watch, it's a fake! I got it over the internet! Can you believe it? You should get one too!"

He's not a bad person - I don't want to insult him, I just don't want to share a hobby with him.

Coming from a person who has an acquaintance that sounds very similar to your friend (sticky and obnoxious) Id say do not send him to a dodgy site. He will only pester you more about why things didn't work out or why his watch is [censored].

Best course of action is say you don't know, site is no longer active. If he goes off and does his own thing and gets ripped off at least he cant pester or blame you about it.

The best website for what you intend is http://www.bestswiss.com. Those guys are absolute worst of the bunch. They almost got me around December 2005 ... and then I was "rescued" when I found RWI and, much later, this forum. I got them to refund me too. But, it was absolutely difficult.

I agree- the biggest rip-off, but they sell mostly rolex. They used to sell all brands- basically Josh's collection at 3-4 times the$$

Since I bought the watch from Josh, I'll just send him Josh's old URL - which is where I actually got the watch in the first place.

Josh has changed URL twice since then. That was back when he was perfect clones.

When it doesn't work, I'll just just tell him it's his bad luck, sorry -

That way, I'm not lying to him but I'm not giving away any secrets, either

The best website for what you intend is http://www.bestswiss.com.

Checked out Bestswiss just for fun - man, they are terrible! They claim they have an "exclusive" on the Rolex clone redressed movements and that all their watches are handmade in Switzerland! They even run the old "try the watch before you buy" scam.

That was a hoot - but it's probably not fair to make someone send actual $$$ to someone like that. I can tell him the truth and still get him off my back.

If you haven't seen the Bestswiss site, you owe it to yourself to check it out just for a laugh!