When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Golden Girl Redux

freddy333

This is an update to the Golden Girl thread.

Earlier today, I received the proper pump pushers for my gold 6239 PN Daytona. Unfortunately, the gold color is not an exact match to the color of the case (the case, which looks like 14k, was a custom 1-off that DW made for me), so I will continue to keep my eyes peeled for a better match. But, as the watch is now fitted with the correct type/style of pushers for a non-Oyster case, I also fitted the final piece to this puzzle - the gen T21 xtal. So, with special kudos to DW for producing a literal work of art - a 6239 case with very decent gold plating - though no where near enough gold to suffice for daily wear - I think I will call this project complete (at least for the time being :whistling: )

007-2_2__tonemapped-1.jpg

011-2_2__tonemapped.jpg

012-2_2__tonemapped.jpg

013-2_2__tonemapped.jpg

048-2_2__tonemapped.jpg

055-2_2__tonemapped.jpg

And the all-important wristie

025-2_2__tonemapped.jpg

Final notes -

At some point, I believe DW will be fixing the (missing long-tail) 3 on these PN dials & he will address the too-wide spacing of the 110 on the bezel. But, until then, this beauty will take a prime spot in my collection. :)

I'm still amazed you were able to find a golden riveted bracelet and that beautiful crown. This is one to save for very special occasions!

I am amazed as well. Both bits were a bit costly, but, after seeing how near-perfect the case turned out, I felt I would be criminally negligent if I fit anything less than a gen bracelet & Brevet crown. After the initial thrill wears off in a day or 2, due to the model's rarity (a steel PN is a relatively rare sight, but I have only (in recent years) ever seen a gold PN once), it will spend most of its time in 1 of my cases.

I am usually not much of a gold fan but even I have to admire that.

That makes 2 of us. ;)

what lens do you use for that great DOF?

The shorter (1024x682) pics were taken with my Canon EOS with Contax (Zeiss) Planar 1,7/50mm lens & the taller (1024x768) pics were taken with my 4MP Canon A80 point-&-shoot. And while I did crop/optimize the pics in software, the DOF is 100% natural.

I wonder if you could find a plater who could match the gold color?

Good idea, Chief. However, once I installed the pushers into the case, the color difference is almost unnoticeable. So I may just live with it for awhile (& poll a few watch collector friends to see if they can detect the color difference) & then decide. On my wrist, if I had not originally seen the pushers out of the case, I would probably not notice the difference.

• 10 months later...

57s are very thin and not a terrific fit with Daytona lugs. However, they do work (and you will see gens on 57s) and you're not exactly spoiled for choices when it comes to golden riveted bracelets.

Ideally, you'd want 71 endlinks, but these are ridiculously rare (gold or not) and would probably sell for a thousand a pair if you ever found them.