When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dial Won't Fit? Build a New Rehaut!

jmb

OK, I had originally bought my wife two Ladies Datejust reps - a silver dial and black dial. She really liked the black dial and wore it daily until the a21j went FUBAR. I tore it apart and put it in a bag and vowed to fix it someday. While perusing the "Bay the other day I came upon this...

dial 1.JPG

... and decided to put it in this...

LDJ case.JPG

... and power it with this:

ETA 2651.JPG

I gathered and made the rest of the bits I figured I'd need and finally got motivated:

proj 1.JPG

It seems things are never easy and building stuff like this will likely cause me to go insane someday. The dial dropped right through the case - RAT'S BALLZ!!!

Dial too small.JPG

I had also ordered a plexi crystal as I figured this thing should look sorta "retro" and found that the crystal a lot smaller than the glass one and there wasn't enough meat to just turn it to size so I figured my only option was to construct a new rehaut.

The first step was to mill off the old one:

mill off rehaut.JPG

And I then made a fixture to hold the case so I could attach the new rehaut straight and drilled and tapped it so it would also function as a clamp:

fixture.JPG

No rehaut.JPG

At this point I figured I better make the rehaut. After measuring the gen dial (18.15mm) and the crystal ID I made a sketch of what I would need, cut off a chunk of 303 and started making chips.

Center-drill the piece:

chips 1.JPG

Drill out big enough for boring bar to fit through:

chips 2.JPG

chips 3.JPG

After boring to minimum ID, then boring a short length at a 10 degree angle for the rehaut you wind up with this:

chips 4.JPG

I then parted off the correct amount:

rehaut 1.JPG

After de-burring the new rehaut and some final sanding/fitting it was ready to mount:

rehaut 2.JPG

fitting rehaut 1.JPG

Case was mounted onto fixture with the top of the fixture covered with wax paper:

rehaut install 1.JPG

Some JB-Weld was mixed, laid onto the mating surfaces, and new rehaut set in place on the case:

rehaut install 2.JPG

I then clamped everything together and let the epoxy set up:

rehaut install 3.JPG

After a short curing time, and before the epoxy had reached full strength, I un-clamped everything and took the case off the fixture:

New rehaut 1.JPG

I used an Xacto knife to carve away the excess JB-Weld on the inside and test fit the dial - MUCH BETTER!!

New rehaut 2.JPG

I then trimmed away the excess epoxy on the outside and test fit the crystal - fit like a glove!

Crystal fitting.JPG

I then set the bezel and plastic retainer in place and realized this would just look wrong so I will machine a smooth bezel with an appropriately smaller ID. I really like fluted bezels but even with some sort of stainless "reducer" the original just wouldn't look right.

mocked up 1.JPG

mocked up 2.JPG

mocked up 3.JPG

The jury is still out as to whether the quick-set JB-Weld will hold I suppose time will tell. If the joint fails I will re-glue with the original formula slow curing JB-Weld.

Now that I have this one under my belt I find that I will probably need to do the same thing to get a vintage Tudor dial into a rep DJ case:

dial and movement 3.JPG

But, that would be the subject of another story!

Freddy - If I could find a gen case for $50 I'd damn sure buy it but the ones I've seen have been $200 - $400 for SS!

Chief - I put a 10 degree bevel on it - I didn't want youze guyz razzing me about having a "wokky" rehaut. If I can come up with a way to hold the case AND machine the ID maybe i'll add a few more degrees...

its amazing what you guys can make in your metal shops.. i wouldnt have even thought of doing this.. i would have just got a new case or new dial hahaha. I think the JB weld should hold up fine as there isnt going to be any tension on the two parts. I would definatly add a bit of an angle to the rehaut next time you pull it apart just so the rehaut doesnt look so thick.

You could also apply this idea in reverse to a submariner case with a "woky" rehaut to straighten it out. Mount the case to your lathe and take off some of the angled material.. As long as you dont exceed the dial dia. I've seen a lot of nice looking sub cases that are ruined by a woky rehaut.

Excellent work!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Dizz