When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Case Making 101 - Chapter 2

jmb

Attention is now focused on the exterior of the case. I coated the top surface with layout dye and scribed the general case outline. I then clamped the block into the milling vise and machined the "sides":

case 13.JPG

I machined to just a bit shy of the layout line:

case 15.JPG

I then rotated the case and milled the other three corners in a like manner:

case 16.JPG

case 17.JPG

I then set an aluminum bar into the vise at a 45 degree angle and bolted the case to it. I then machined the "top" of the "ends":

case 19.JPG

case 21.JPG

The case is then rotated and the other end milled:

case 22.JPG

It is then flipped over and the back side of the ends are milled:

case 23.JPG

case 24.JPG

The case is once again rotated and the operation repeated on the other end and the back screwed on just for grins:

case 26.JPG

Back and crystal on it now at least resembles a watch case:

case 27.JPG

case 28.JPG

The case was then roughed down to the layout lines on the belt sander and filed to final shape. It was then necessary to locate the center of the "bore" and prepare the case for the crown tube. After locating the proper spot for the tube the hole is drilled, the case slightly counter-bored, and the hole tapped:

case 31.JPG

case 32.JPG

Without disturbing the relationship between the machine chuck and the work the proper tap is clamped into the chuck and rotated by hand to get the tap started straight.

case 33.JPG

The case can then be removed and the tube hole tapping finished by hand:

case 34.JPG

At this point it is actually starting to LOOK like a watch:

case 35.JPG

case 36.JPG

case 39.JPG

The case is now rough-brushed on the top and top/bottom end angles, the top case edges filed at a 45 degree angle, and the case sides polished:

case 40.JPG

case 41.JPG

case 42.JPG

case 43.JPG

Finally, the bezel is polished, all case pieces washed, and everything put together:

case 44.JPG

case 45.JPG

case 46.JPG

case 47.JPG

case 48.JPG

The final chapter will be mating the case up to the band. But, that chapter has yet to be written so I must leave you hanging for awhile!

I'm glad that some have found this process interesting and even entertaining. If I would have included all of the phrases, adjectives, and exclamations used during it's construction probably every other word would here would be [censored]! :rofl: Since a little shaver I've always been fascinated by how things work and are put together so I guess this is a natural progression (regression?) for me... :p