When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lost it at FedEx today!

HauteHippie

I've often thought the USPS didn't have their act together, but after today I see things in a whole new light. So I'd been tracking a FedEx package (watch related of course), due to arrive today. I had the day off, but was busy running around town taking care of some personal business. Upon arriving home, there was a door tag from FedEx indicating the shipper had required a signature. The package would be available at 6PM at the sorting facility. They were open until 7, so I figured why not drive across town and pick it up tonight rather than risk not being home again tomorrow. So off I went, and made there with time to spare at 6:15...

What follows next is in no way made up, exaggerated, etc... This is an exact account of what went down. And it'd be hilarious if it weren't so sad.

FedEx Lady: Next in line please.

Chieftang: Hi there, here is my door tag. (handing it across the counter)

FedEx Lady: Alrighty, I'll be right back with your parcel.

(5 minutes elapse; FedEx Lady returns)

FedEx Lady: Ok, sir. Your package has not yet arrived. The driver is not back from his route.

Chieftang: I'm sorry, but could you check again. The online tracking here on my phone shows that it arrived here at the shipping facility at 5:51PM.

FedEx Lady: No sir, it has not arrived. We'll let you know when it does.

Chieftang: Ok, no problem.

(I step to the side of the counter; 15 minutes elapse; Approximately 10 people with door tags are given their packages)

Chieftang: Hi, ma'am. Any update on my package? We're getting close to closing time here.

FedEx Lady: Do you have a door tag, sir?

Chieftang: Ma'am, you took it about 15 minutes ago and asked me to wait for the driver to return with my package.

FedEx Lady: Oh OK, let me go find that tag.

(She disappears in to the back; 5 minutes elapse; She returns with my door tag)

FedEx Lady: Here we go, let's look up your package in the system here.

(She types stuff in to a terminal)

FedEx Lady: OK, your package arrived at 5:51. But there is a problem. The driver didn't scan your package properly, so there is no way for me to find it.

Chieftang: No way to find it? If it is here in the building, I'm sure someone can find it. You're professionals!

FedEx Lady: Well sir, the driver didn't scan it .....

Chieftang: MA'AM, PLEASE. I drove across town in traffic to pick up my package. You've already told me it wasn't here when in fact it was here. Now you're telling me you can't find it? Not acceptable. I need you to go in the back room and look harder, please.

(FedEx lady turns around and storms of in to the back room; 15 more minutes elapse; FedEx lady emerges again empty-handed)

FedEx Lady: Still no luck sir. We don't know where the driver put your package. We even called him. But his voicemail answered. We left him a message. But it's almost closing time, so I'm not counting on finding your package today.

Chieftang: So you're telling me that you don't have any kind of organized system whereby drivers put undeliverable packages in a designated area for when customers arrive to pick them up??

FedEx Lady: No sir, we don't do that. Maybe it would help if you told me what the package looked like.

Chieftang: It should be a small package, but that's all I can tell you.

FedEx Lady: That doesn't help me sir. There are probably 5000 small packages back there. Would it be in a Dell box?

Chieftang: I have no idea! The shipper didn't inform me of his packaging material choice!! It's not a Dell computer. As I said it is a small package.

(A FedEx Man emerges from the back room)

FedEx Man: Sir, I've been trying to locate your package. What I need you to do is call the FedEx 1-800 number and see if they can help.

Chieftang: Are you kidding me?!?! I'm AT FEDEX STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU!!! MY PACKAGE IS IN THIS BUILDING!!!

FedEx Lady: Sir it would help us out greatly if you could assist. We just need them to tell us what your tracking number is.

Chieftang: My tracking number????? I've had my tracking number right here for the last 45 minutes!!!

FedEx Lady: WHAT?!?! Why didn't you tell me you had it?

Chieftang: You never asked me for it!! How the hell should I know you need me to provide the tracking number? I gave you the door tag with all the information on it!!

FedEx Lady: Because I told you the driver scanned it incorrectly!!!

(Chieftang is scribbling down the tracking number from FedEx.com on his Blackberry)

Chieftang: What does that even mean?!? "He scanned it incorrectly" is supposed to say to me "I need you to give me the tracking number"?!? Besides, I told you I had tracked the package on my phone! So obviously I had the tracking number...

(Chieftang hands over the tracking number; FedEx Lady disappears again in to the back for 30 seconds and emerges with the package)

FedEx Lady: Alrighty, sir. Thank you so much for waiting. Your package has arrived. Please sign at the X.

The End.

There. That feels better!

Your story would be really funny if it weren't so sad. It is amazing to encounter the incompetence of people who work for companies that rely on good customer service to succeed! This makes you wonder how this woman is able to find the FedEx facility where she works every day? maybe her father or husband drives her to work and drops her off. She sure isn't smart enough to take public transportation, if it requires more than one bus or train change.Looks like FedEx is at the forefront of the "hire the handicapped" program, except that this type of incompetence is and affront to the handicapped! They are dipping far, far down into the barrel of human competence, skimming up the dregs to work their counters.

Some people simply aren't very bright. I have noticed it many times in my work. They can't help it... and when they're drunk, well...

That's how the world is.

Yup, FedEx is just awesome :wacko: A real crack operation. If I have the option I ask for USPS/Canada Post every time. These so called professional couriers are just pathetic and then they klober you with horendous fees too. No thanks.

Glad you got your package in the end Chief.

think about it, if she had at least 2 neurons working on that empty head she would probably have a better job.

I bet Fedex spends more time trying to figure out the logistics part not the human resources. That's why you get an incompetent driver working with an incompetent clerk. Coming to think of it, the manager of that facility has probably a lot of fault there too.

Firstly, really glad this had a happy ending! Secondly: how did you memorise the dialogue?? :thumbsupsmileyanim: Going to the depot to pick up a package must be one of the most frustrating experiences EVER!! Have agood weekend Chief

Glad they found your package B. Sounds a little like the service I received whilst spending 1 hour and 20 minutes on the phone with 4 of T-Mobile's finest.

I hope that those minutes where free

:whistling::bangin::bangin:

Edited by Edwin25

You are right Cheif, It would be a hoot If not true. :o Thats some sad [censored] right there. I would write a letter to there main orifice, yes orifice and tell them what you had to go through. There Is no excuess for this kind of Incompetence. Im happy that you got the package, good thing or you might have had to go medieval on that ass :D Mike

Secondly: how did you memorise the dialogue??

Hahaha, strange, eh. I replayed the whole thing in my mind about 3 times on the way home. It was so absurd, that I was trying to make sure it all had actually just happened and that I hadn't been dreaming of a Candid Camera episode!

I blame company protocol a lot for this and yes it is happening all over the world.

Companies have regulated so much of what they do these days that employees have become brainless morons who totally lack the ability to apply a little initiative.

As long as they do everything by the book they know they are safe from reprimand from their superiors.

Personally I would have lost it a lot earlier.

Ken

I've had trouble with FedEx in the past as well. I've had shipment arrive sooner than expected to my local FedEx hub, and have them delayed to match the guaranteed arrival time. For example, I purchased something online, paid for 3 day shipping. It arrived (from LA to San Diego) to my FedEx Hub overnight, and FedEx held it at their facility for an extra 2 days so it would be delivered on the 3rd day....Jeesh!

Sounds a little like the service I received whilst spending 1 hour and 20 minutes on the phone with 4 of T-Mobile's finest.

I had T-mobile offer me a credit for a mistake THEY made. Yah, great.. Except the free month of service was going to be creditted to my account in 6 months. I've been happy not being a T-mobile customer since then. Guess what I told them to do with that credit? Thats right. All up in their ass.

USPS has been good to me. Used to work tracking packages for UPS. Yah.. I use USPS. :whistling:

I've had trouble with FedEx in the past as well. I've had shipment arrive sooner than expected to my local FedEx hub, and have them delayed to match the guaranteed arrival time. For example, I purchased something online, paid for 3 day shipping. It arrived (from LA to San Diego) to my FedEx Hub overnight, and FedEx held it at their facility for an extra 2 days so it would be delivered on the 3rd day....Jeesh!

That, I've found, is very typical. And in other cases, you'll see in the tracking that the package goes all the way across the country, and then half way back to its destination. Weird to say the least. It's like the early days of turn by turn GPS where you'd get routed all over the place but eventually reach your destination.

At least you finally got it. I cringe every time somebody insists on shipping to me via UPS. I had a package delivery attempt one day that required a sig and I didn't feel like driving 20 miles to pick it up so I rescheduled the delivery on their web site and took that day off. I waited all day and no re-delivery attempt and customer service on the phone was practically rude. We still finally had to drive to their sort facility (or whatever they call it) and pick it up...