When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Introducing the Hager Commando Watch

Coeuss

Hager Commando  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in purchasing this watch?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Given a choice of a milsub bezel insert would you choose

• Ceramic insert
    • Metal insert

Hey guys, I needed a sanity check from you guys on my new watch company. I wanted to make a watch that the average person could afford and I hope I've hit the mark here with this watch http://hagerwatches.com/Hager_Watches/Photos.html . The prototype that is posted was made by my old manufacturer who I decided to break with as he wasn't responsive to what I wanted to do. For instance I asked for a milsub insert and received the regular insert. There were a host of other issues as well.

Now I've teamed up with a former exec of Timex and Movado who is going to oversee production once we start, which I hope to jump into production soon. The only change to the prototype is that instead of using the 2836 movement we will be using the ST21 movement which hacks and is basically the clone of the 2824. The watch will also come with a microfiber bag with the company logo and a otterbox with the company logo on it, as well as a mini brochure and a 1 year warranty. I will only be asking approx $250. Basically I'm trying to keep the price as low and as affordable as possible for the average joe, which I had a German manufacturing company tell me I'm crazy, as they wanted to produce the watch for 500 euro with a selling price of 1190 usd, to which I told them they are missing the point of this. Anyway I just wanted to hear what you guys thought before I finalized this. Many thanks in advance.

fun project ... congratulations! my only constructive criticism would be the three different colors of lume. my $0.02 would be to stick with one color. it helps with esthetics. best of luck with your venture. the price is certainly right.

Thanks much, even my wife tells me the above. I think we may go with all blue lume. When I was out in the field I liked the blue better to be honest.

thats a very nice watch and for that price i think i would go for it, i kinda realy like that watch :)

there is only one thing... the green bezel dot is not my cup of tea :whistling: the two tone blue lume on the dial is very nice

this german company..is it steinhart?

all the best, and please keep us updatet

Is all the dial text necessary? What about just Commando?

I would loose the circle T. Doesn't make sense to be honest.

Wanted to keep the T for the history and to signify we are using Tritec Lume. Depending on the responses it's not too late to lose it. :)

Looking good :) Personally, I would suggest losing the Circle T as well, simply because people will always associate that with the historical Tritium marking, rather than representing Tritec, but other than that, looking good :) I love the dive mask logo, that looks really sharp :victory:

At first glance/impression my mind immediately jumped to thinking about the mens clothing company Haggar. Not sure if it is an American market only thing, but there might be a "fashion plate" perception / tie-in to the clothing company. :g:

The insert looks identical to what comes on MBW's.

I would love to see the full 5517 metal bezel, less text, AND if it had NO crown guards which would make it unique and not just a typical homage like the MkII's, etc.

Love to see people stepping out and going for it. Best of luck! :good:

• 4 months later...

Guys I hate to bump this up but I'm looking for some opinions and if Im asking opinions about watches Id like to ask experts. I'm on the second round of the prototype and it came out well but not quite what I was looking for as the hands were smaller and the case was 2mm higher than expected as we experimented with an ST-25. What I'm concerned with is that a lot of people who saw the 2nd proto liked it because it had a date function. I'm just wondering if I should put one on it. If I did it would be with the black calendar date wheel so it would blend in. what do you guys think? Should I add a date function or not?

We are moving on to our final prototype and am 7 weeks away from getting as we have to retool the case, dial and hands, basically starting from scratch. It's going to have all the same milsub charateristics but somewhat updated.

So date with black calendar date wheel or no date?

www.hagerwatches.com

PS thanks in advance

Edited by Coeuss

I kinda like having a date on my watch....Seadweller has a date, Submariner has Date and no date options....why not do both? Same case same movement, just with date aperture or not...

It's a question of economics right now. I'm trying to figure out if people would buy more of one than the other. Hoping at some point to offer both and some additional lines to the brand. Our current theme is retro but hoping to offer some modern styles as well. Thanks db2 for your comments I'm always looking to improve.

If your target market is someone with a eye towards the Vintage Rolex 5517, 5512, 5513, then I say go without the date. I just checked out the photos on the site, and the blue lume including @ 3 where the date window would be is very cool.

Personally, for your watch, I like it without a date. Anymore- with computers and phones prominently displaying date, I don't think you need it on what could be a "grab and go" tool watch. I like my no-dates since I am not compelled to keep them on the winder to keep them wound and thus at the right date.

One other small thing I noticed in your pictures is the caseback says "Swiss Automatic". Will you be offering these in both ETA and Seagull versions?

Keep up the good work.

Cool idea.

You definatyly need much better pics on your website as it will make a BIG difference in sales. The logo is kinda hard to see what it is at quick glace. maybe it needs to be a little bigger, but then again its hard to see in those little pics. As the other said, I would remove the circle-T as it makes it look like a fake Rolex wanna be. Lume color makes no difference at all to me, but blue is the new cool thing these days. I also agree, start with no date, as its much easier to "grab and go" exactly like was said above.

dizz