When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hair loss

Dani

I read this thread with real interest and I'm really surprised at how many people want to fight baldness. I started losing my hair at 20 and by 25 just had the typical ring of hair, a true baldy. I never got ribbed for it (maybe I just had a great group of friends..) and I can honestly say I never had a problem with it, it didn't affect my confidence and I never really stopped to think about it. I definitely had more success with women when I was bald than I did before ( i was told "you know what you're getting with a bald guy!") and I loved that I didn't have to fuss in front of a mirror to check my hair was good (I had long hair before it went!).

I just kept is very close, kept a bit of chin stubble so I didn't look like a shiny peanut and that's it. The only issue with being bald is getting cold easily so I have a nice collection of hats for when I feel the chill. I call BS on the claim you inherit baldness from your mothers side, my mums dad, brothers and his dad all had full heads of hair. My dad and his side were all bald as far back as you can go so I guarantee I didn't get my baldness from my mum's side.

I'd say go with it, it's nature's way, keep it short, keep in shape and if you feel the need for a different look, go for a goatee, funky specs, stylish hat etc... Just don't get a wig.....

Edited by plymman

• 2 weeks later...

I call BS on the claim you inherit baldness from your mothers side, my mums dad, brothers and his dad all had full heads of hair. My dad and his side were all bald as far back as you can go so I guarantee I didn't get my baldness from my mum's side.

I've heard that it's inherited from the mother's side as well (gives me another thing to add to the list that I blame my mother for :whistling: )

I probably started thinning out at the crown about 14-15. Nothing major, but enough to know that it was the beginning of the end... I always said that when I started to noticeably lose my hair, I would go for the Avery Brooks look, and a couple years back, I was shaving my head almost daily for that Agent 47 look, but stopped for a few reasons:

- Cost to maintain totally smooth.

- Effort to maintain totally smooth.

- Hated the feel of my scalp on a pillow (I found it got hotter than with hair)

- Hated having a goatee rather than a full beard

So I got my shit together and just let my hair start growing out again. Sure, it's receded at the temples, and the crown is seriously thin, but, I can at least now run my hand through my hair and feel hair (and some skin) again, and wear a full beard again. By choice, I'd have my hair down to my shoulders like I did when I was 20, but I've got to wait another 10-15 years to be able to pull off that 'old bald guy with long hair look' (Where some older guys look okay being thin on top but still with long hair, rather than the younger guys who try it and just wind up looking like a comb-over/Status Quo reject) Stay strong, amigos :good::drinks:

I thinned out pretty bad in my early 20s. I used to worry about it and tried a bunch of different concoctions and hair cuts. I eventually realised that the only person who really cared about it was me so I settled on a close cropped (not shaved) hair cut and ran with it. As long as your cut doesn't make it look like you're trying to conceal thinning you'll be fine. Women just don't really care about that stuff as much as we think they do. If you're fit and confident you'll get allot further than fat and shitting yourself that she'll see notice your hair in a can spray job

First time back in this thread for a long time.

Couple things. There's no balding on my mother's side. On my father's side both my dad and uncle have full heads of hair. My grandad has the same as me and my bro - which is balding at mid thirties but still able to grow hair on top - so maybe not typical pattern balding but balding nonetheless. So the wives tale about skipping a generation holds true for us, rather than the mother's side wives tale.

I shave guage 1 but have had people say that growing hair like my grandad does, would make me look less bald. perhaps because I'm blonde. With a bit of sun my hair goes snowy white. i guess the clipper job on blonde guys shows up the thining more than keeping it longer would. But meh... No point stressing about things you can't change. regardless of what it is you cannot change (even bus fares, or the day your new rep gets delivered for example) stressing over something you can't change is the biggest downfall and waste i can think of.

Here's an interesting tidbit for you. I have a mate, same age (born in 72) with an almost cartoonish full head of brown hair. He's a white guy but has hair like an asian woman. Two years ago, just like his dad, he went completely grey seemingly overnight (actually about six months). Not cool J Jonah Jameson side grey - full helmet!

Dude is very very selfconscious about it, he has it dyed professionally. Looks fine indoors but in sunlight you can tell it's dyed. The point of all this is that even with the golden grail of hair that some of you guys are seeking through toxic chemicals that rob your virilty or 'spot from a mile away' topical bandaids - people with the hair you covet are still very insecure. Another intersting thing... Guy is 6'5'' he's insecure about that too. Mull that one over. ;)

Hell, just look at chicks for example. The most insecure women i know are often the most classically beautiful <-- fact.

This is the most sensible post in this thread. Second only to my awesome utterings:

Why do people worry so much about being bald? If I were to start going bald I would simply shave my head and start being awesome.

If you applied as much effort building your confidence, regardless of what hair you're sporting, as you expend worrying about your looks - your problem would actually be solved. Bonus - you wouldn't walk around looking silly with that rubbish on your head.

Please dont take offense. It's just that losing your hair if you're a guy really is akin to womens arses getting bigger. It's normal. It hasn't ever affected my, or my brother's sucess with the ladies.

• 2 months later...

^Looks like i win this thread.

awesome.png

If you say so..but I feel you use a much to broad of a brush stroke. Not everone fits under the same catagory. Also..what may work for some may not work for another.

I always get a kick out of how some will just offer. "shave your head and be awesome like me" :lol: Will If that works for you...fine. But some like to give all they got before throwing In the towel...and yes...that Includes putting "rubbish" on there head If need be.

"The most Insecure women I know are often the most classically beautiful >--fact" OK...but are they losing there hair?..can you see there scalp due to thinning hair? That might make a difference on the whole "classically beautiful thing"

How about this...do what works for you...and let others do what works for them...yes..this Includes rubbish on the head. ;)

Losing ones hair at a young age can be traumatizing to say the least. I feel for these young guys...I really do. No It's not the end of the world..but a mans hair can be very Important to there self Image/confidence. They dont feel that a girl really wants to run there fingers through there personality.

As far as spoting rubbish on ones head :g: I use Toppik hair fibers http://www.toppik.com/?gclid=CM61ns_1yq0CFcZM4AodMC1UiQ I dont use much because I have just a little thinning on my crown. I have actually told people I was using It...and still they could not tell. The fibers are made from keratin (what are hair Is made from)...that binds to the hair In the most natural way.

I would hope that people would talk about there own personal experences Instead of passing judgment on others for there efforts. If shaving your head and being a awesome bad ass works for you.. fine. But whats wrong with trying some proven products and still being awesome... I mean...you can be awesome and have hair too...right? ;)

At least a person knows that they tried to do what they could. I say thats better than looking In the mirror years later and wondering...what if? :g:

I have spent quite a bit of time on some of the hair loss forums...I was hoping to find a way to slow down my hair loss. I know I cant stop It all together. So after doing some research I decided to take some supplements and started using shampoos that have proven to thicken ones hair while keeping the scalp healthy. The less DHT on the scalp...the better. The two shampoos that have helped my hair/scalp look/feel better/thicker are http://www.regenepure.com/ and http://www.avalonorg...m/?id=88&pid=23

Best of luck to those fighting the hair loss battle. :)

Mike

If you say so..but I feel you use a much to broad of a brush stroke. Not everone fits under the same catagory. Also..what may work for some may not work for another.

I always get a kick out of how some will just offer. "shave your head and be awesome like me" :lol: Will If that works for you...fine. But some like to give all they got before throwing In the towel...and yes...that Includes putting "rubbish" on there head If need be.

"The most Insecure women I know are often the most classically beautiful >--fact" OK...but are they losing there hair?..can you see there scalp due to thinning hair? That might make a difference on the whole "classically beautiful thing"

How about this...do what works for you...and let others do what works for them...yes..this Includes rubbish on the head. ;)

Losing ones hair at a young age can be traumatizing to say the least. I feel for these young guys...I really do. No It's not the end of the world..but a mans hair can be very Important to there self Image/confidence. They dont feel that a girl really wants to run there fingers through there personality.

As far as spoting rubbish on ones head :g: I use Toppik hair fibers http://www.toppik.co...CFcZM4AodMC1UiQ I dont use much because I have just a little thinning on my crown. I have actually told people I was using It...and still they could not tell. The fibers are made from keratin (what are hair Is made from)...that binds to the hair In the most natural way.

I would hope that people would talk about there own personal experences Instead of passing judgment on others for there efforts. If shaving your head and being a awesome bad ass works for you.. fine. But whats wrong with trying some proven products and still being awesome... I mean...you can be awesome and have hair too...right? ;)

At least a person knows that they tried to do what they could. I say thats better than looking In the mirror years later and wondering...what if? :g:

I have spent quite a bit of time on some of the hair loss forums...I was hoping to find a way to slow down my hair loss. I know I cant stop It all together. So after doing some research I decided to take some supplements and started using shampoos that have proven to thicken ones hair while keeping the scalp healthy. The less DHT on the scalp...the better. The two shampoos that have helped my hair/scalp look/feel better/thicker are http://www.regenepure.com/ and http://www.avalonorg...m/?id=88&pid=23

Best of luck to those fighting the hair loss battle. :)

Mike

+1

Toppik is great!!! I've been using for about 1 year.

thanks for the shampoo tips. Do they help with DHT or just scalp health?

+1

Toppik is great!!! I've been using for about 1 year.

thanks for the shampoo tips. Do they help with DHT or just scalp health?

No problem.

Both the shampoos do help when It comes to DHT issues. There are some very good/helpfull reviews on the hair loss forums and Amazon as well..http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B0032FSDOA...http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B000IZ8KYU

Toppik is trully a amazing product. I got caught In a fairly heavy rain while running to my car about three to four months ago. Toppik stayed on my hair...no running what so ever..excellent product. :thumbs:

Mike

• 2 years later...
Guest Ashcoldman

Hi,

Nice to hear your experience.

As i just begin to treat it and whit hair cloning a very high possibility due to arrive 2013-2014 and be ready for regular people maybe 1yr later ill just use sprays/treatments like spectral dnc and good shampoo like nisim.

Think of the possibility to get 5000grafts from nothing , its like you can even whit heavy loss get your hair back..Me whit a small loss can get a new hairline even thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Vanity its a blessing rofl.gif

That maybe a good advice.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Dani,

Hair loss is common problem in men and women now a days....... 

Hair Transplant is the best solution for Hair loss. FUE Hair Transplant is best than Strip with no scar and pain... 

Who tell you that Hair Transplant whether it is FUE and Strip are worst choice for Hair Transplant... Kindly reply.. Then clear your all doubts.........................

Edited by mark87

I started going bald in my early twenties and it bothered me until my mid thirties. I'm now 46 and couldn't care less and if it bothers anyone it's their problem and not mine. To be honest though I'm 6'4 with an athletic build. It might bother me more if I was short!!

Edited by watcher
  • Like 1

I was pretty finicky about my hair most of my life.  Got it trimmed every Monday.  I tried some of the products mentioned with no positive results.  In my mid to late 30's started getting pretty good bald spot on the top back of my dome.  Baldness runs in the family, so when was about 40, I just gave in to the DNA and I bought a set of clippers and shaved it off.  Saves me a ton of dough and it easy to manage.  #1 on the dome and #2 on the goatee/stash.  Never really wore a beard or stash much until I shaved my head, now I cannot look at myself clean shaven.  Trim it once a week and good to go.  Much better for driving a convertible.....aero dynamic.      

• 2 weeks later...

Going bald is terrible, Use Toppik as long as you can, which is what I have done, and check out Hair systems. You guys will be blown away. 

This is my next step come the new year, already on order.

Youtube - hair systems for men 

watch a couple videos and comment.

Hair line is virtually invisible, and you will have that full head of hair you had when you were 20. You cannot get results like this with FUE transplants ( I have many friends who have had this done ). To me, this is the best option until something else comes around. This is what hollywood uses for all the actors, ( no guys, movie stars don't all have full heads of hair )

hopefully this helps some,

I know the feeling guys, believe me.

• 2 months later...